Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Atotty
DIS Veteran

Last week was our third Thanksgiving at Disney. Is it crowded? Yes it is crowded, very crowded. Can you have a great time? Yes, definitely. As others have said it just takes planning and the willingness to get to the parks at opening.

We check out the different sites that list which days are the best to go to each park and use that information to avoid as much of the crowd as possible. We follow a touring plan. And we get up early and make opening. Our MK day, we walked right onto everything for about the first two hours. Then as we were hopping to another park, a huge horde of people was streaming into the gates.
Moved Here December 2012; POP Thanksgiving 2012; Day Trip July 2012; Yacht Club CL May/June 2012; Offsite School Competition April 2012; CBR Mar 2012; POP Jan/Feb 2012; DTD Hilton Apr 2011; POFQ/AKV/CSR Nov 2010; CBR/Windsor Hills/POR June 2009; AKV/RPH/Windsor Hills June 2008; All Star Sports/Dolphin Thanksgiving 2007; POP/Windsor Hills June 2007; POP June 2006; POR Oct 2005; POR May 2004; AKL May 2003; MK 1985; Epcot 1984; Disneyland 1969
Atotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
katt789
DIS Veteran

I arrived Saturday evening, and stayed until eaaaarlyy Wed morning, and it was REALLY crowded. Saturday evening at DTD & MK was PACKED. I personally, will not do it again. Wait times were okay right at the beginning of the day, but that was it, then they got bad. It was busier than it was when I went over a Wed-Fri evening in the middle of July.

Granted, a lot of this could have been because of all the FLE opening, but still, I won't be back at that time haha!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
I arrived Saturday evening, and stayed until eaaaarlyy Wed morning, and it was REALLY crowded. Saturday evening at DTD & MK was PACKED. I personally, will not do it again. Wait times were okay right at the beginning of the day, but that was it, then they got bad. It was busier than it was when I went over a Wed-Fri evening in the middle of July.

Granted, a lot of this could have been because of all the FLE opening, but still, I won't be back at that time haha!
This is why I think it may be based on how people have visited in the past. We didn't think it was busy at all until Thanksgiving day. Then, it started clearing out again the Saturday after. We don't use touring plans. We usually make ADR's and know that we will be at that park or particular resort at that time. We always use hoppers or AP's because if one park is busy, we just leave and pick another. We have a 20 yr old who is NOT a morning person. We never made it to the parks before 11:00 am and on some days, 12:30. We do usually stay until closing including EMHs. We only got 3 fast passes the entire trip and one of those was given to us. We had just walked in and were deciding where to go first (we go often0, and a family asked if we were going to be there a while. We said yes, so they gave us passes to Soarin. Soarin was the only one that consistently had long wait times. On almost every attraction, the wait times were much shorter than the signs showed. We usually will wait for the 25 or less. All were shorter than the posted times except one time on EE.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
Mauretania
Earning My Ears

T-Giving was the only time we could go this year. We used easyWDW's recommendations for park days but our own touring plan. Also the new Disney app was good with accurate wait times. As others stated, ride wait times were sometimes shorter than were posted.

It's important to have dining reservations every day as the restaurants were packed. I was surprised at the number of people attempting "walk-ups"

We didn't use the bus system as we had a car rental which worked out great - 5-minute drive and hardly any traffic within the world.
Yacht Club Concierge - 1991
Mauretania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

Sounds like it's a good time to go! We were looking at Christmas week (staying during Christmas) but I think Thanksgiving might be better & we'd still get in the Christmas festivities.

One more question...did anyone get a discount for that week or does Disney black out Thanksgiving week?

Thanks for all the replies.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

Was hoping to look at prices today for resorts but the disney website is driving me crazy so I gave up....keeping my eye out for a discount.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommykds
Sounds like it's a good time to go! We were looking at Christmas week (staying during Christmas) but I think Thanksgiving might be better & we'd still get in the Christmas festivities.

One more question...did anyone get a discount for that week or does Disney black out Thanksgiving week?

Thanks for all the replies.
We went this Thanksgiving. It was very crowded but manageable. We got in most of what we wanted to do, buses werent too too bad. I guess I'd do it again if I couldn't go on an off time. And I would absolutely recommend it over Christmas week.

No discounts anywhere. Believe me I looked, researched and googled for months. Lol it was very expensive to go that week though. If we had gone the week bf we would have had free dining and the airfare would have been lower.

But yes, you do get the Christmas experience without the Christmas closures and crowds.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauretania

It's important to have dining reservations every day as the restaurants were packed. I was surprised at the number of people attempting "walk-ups"
Me too! Lol I had my ADR for Fantasmic lunch pkg at mama melrose the day bf thanksgiving and this guy said hey what's the wait for this place? I sa I'd oh they are reservation only right now. (Having overherd the hostess) and then he said oh when did you make your reservation. I went "ummm July" and he was like whaat!? Lol I even had a hard time getting any Fantasmic pkg at all really. And that was late July! My hubs thought I was crazy making reservations that early, but I told him it was already booking up and I had to. So I would def highly recommend setting a reminder for 180 days bf so you can do your ADRs and have choices. I'd def do that next time.

We also could only go at Thanksgiving. Yes, it was expensive and crowded but manageable. We went value and cut corners where we could. Like I snuck the plushes I knew the kids would want in my suitcase n surprised them there. Got them on sale ahead of time at Disney store and that was half price. Brought glow stick items for parades, brought glitter tattoos and regular temp Mickey tattoos, brought in snacks waters and juices instead of buying inside park...

I had trouble with Mobile Magic. So did my hubs. (1 droid, 1 iphone) It was no problem in the hotel but at the park it was slow as molasses. We did not find it magical at all. Lol We ended up getting a maps and a show time list and did it old school. Lol I didn't need a map at MK or Epcot but I did for AK and HS.

AK was packed Thanksgiving day and my kids were not being angels so I didn't get much anything done there. Did make it on the safari and to Kusifiri for a white elephant cupcake so I'd call it a success. Haha

DHS was packed the day before TG and we kept missing the shows. That was a disappointment. But did have a great lunch at mama melrose and did get to Fantasmic and Osborne lights. (He whole family was in awe of Osborne lights!)

We spent most of our time in MK. It wasn't THAT bad. We didnt get to meet all the characters we wanted to meet bc of lines. I didn't have the fortune to find wait times being less. ::Jealous:: lol but if you utilize fast pass and get there early it isn't bad. Early is key I thought.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: