Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
IWannaBeAMousketeer
Mouseketeer

How are concierge guests identified in the lounge & private deck?

Here's the deal. I will be sailing with friends in Jan and we will be split in two rooms. One person (in the other room) really wants to try to upgrade to concierge, but I have no interest in doing so. She has talked about upgrading her room so that we can all use the concierge facilities. I don't want to do this and I will be happy to say so, but it would be easier if I could explain to her how they will know that we are imposters! Otherwise, she will bug us to no end. So, how do they know? My guess, based on our experience sailing concierge on the Magic, is that the concierge team makes a point to get to know the guests very quicky. Is there another way without looking at your key card?
Jun 2011 - Dream 5 Night Double the CC
Nov 2011 - Dream 3 Night Mamas Cruise
Mar 2012 - Magic 6 Night Spring Break Western
Dec 2012 - Dream 3 Night Mamas the Sequel
IWannaBeAMousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaBeAMousketeer View Post
Here's the deal. I will be sailing with friends in Jan and we will be split in two rooms. One person (in the other room) really wants to try to upgrade to concierge, but I have no interest in doing so. She has talked about upgrading her room so that we can all use the concierge facilities. I don't want to do this and I will be happy to say so, but it would be easier if I could explain to her how they will know that we are imposters! Otherwise, she will bug us to no end. So, how do they know? My guess, based on our experience sailing concierge on the Magic, is that the concierge team makes a point to get to know the guests very quicky. Is there another way without looking at your key card?
We've sailed Concierge on the Dream twice, (and several times on the classic ships) and the concierge team does get to know who belongs pretty quickly, even on a 4 night cruise. In the lounge, I have seen them ask for a guest's KTTW card if they did not recognize them (and no, they were not Concierge guests and were told to leave the lounge).

You may hear this more than once, but as far as I'm concerned, if a guest is not staying Concierge they have no business being in the lounge, or on the private sun deck. It's fine for non-Concierge guests to visit someone in their cabin on the Concierge decks, but not to use any of the Concierge amenities/perks.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014 / December, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

On the Fantasy the Concierge team seemed to pride themselves in recognizing every guest and knowing them all, including the kids, by name.

In the lounge they certainly would go up to someone they didnt know and introduce themselves and ask which suite they are staying in. On the sundeck there there is much less supervision, but they occasionally pass through.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
IWannaBeAMousketeer
Mouseketeer

Please understand, I'm not trying to find a way around the system. If I wanted to be concierge, I would pay to upgrade. On this cruise, it just is not a priority to me. I'm sailing without my kids and can't wait to enjoy the adult areas for long stretches of time! My friend, however, is all about gaming the system (its my least favorite thing about her, but we all have flaws). If there is an easy way for me to insist it won't work, she will give up quickly. I'm a rule follower...I would be MORTIFIED to get kicked out of anywhere & wouldn't even risk it.
Jun 2011 - Dream 5 Night Double the CC
Nov 2011 - Dream 3 Night Mamas Cruise
Mar 2012 - Magic 6 Night Spring Break Western
Dec 2012 - Dream 3 Night Mamas the Sequel
IWannaBeAMousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
outahere

Quote:
Please understand, I'm not trying to find a way around the system. If I wanted to be concierge, I would pay to upgrade. On this cruise, it just is not a priority to me. I'm sailing without my kids and can't wait to enjoy the adult areas for long stretches of time! My friend, however, is all about gaming the system (its my least favorite thing about her, but we all have flaws). If there is an easy way for me to insist it won't work, she will give up quickly. I'm a rule follower...I would be MORTIFIED to get kicked out of anywhere & wouldn't even risk it.
I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to find a way around the system, just wanted to post my feelings on the matter.

As for your friend..... I would just tell her that you have no intention of trying to game the system. I'm not sure if there is any really good way to convince her that it won't work. It's her money..... if she wants to upgrade, tell her to go right ahead.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014 / December, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have sailed concierge several times on both the Dream and the Fantasy and totally understand your question. There are a few things in place to ensure that only concierge guests can use the lounge and sundeck. First, there is an electronic latch to open the any of the three doors to the lounge. Only those with concierge keys can get in. And second, even if a concierge guest gives someone their key, the concierge hosts know everyone by name and face by the first day. They are amazing. If they see someone in the lounge that is not a concierge guest they will politely ask them to leave.. if they are with a concierge guest, they will talk to the concierge guest and ensure they know the rules and ask the concierge guest to either ask their friend to join them in their room or just leave the lounge.

I have seen some concierge guests (either knowingly or unknowingly) try what your friend is talking about and I guarantee it won't work. There is always a concierge host in the lounge whenever it is opened.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

If it were me I would simply tell my friend that she can upgrade if she wants to but that I won't be joining her in the concierge areas.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
CoolHandsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
First, there is an electronic latch to open the any of the three doors to the lounge. Only those with concierge keys can get in. And second, even if a concierge guest gives someone their key, the concierge hosts know everyone by name and face by the first day. They are amazing.
Same goes for the sundeck - you either are accessing it from within the lounge or using doors with an electronic latch up on deck 13. No concierge keycard, no access unless another concierge guest held it open for you which i can't imagine anyone would ever do. And the hosts make a point of meeting everyone on the first day when they help you set up your schedule of activities and reservations. They truly knew who we were within a day.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

And, on top of all the other measures, the gold KTTW card will ID you to the concierge team.

The cost to upgrade is the same whether it is for one person or a family of 5--it is per cabin, not per person. Tell your friend that if she wants to pay to upgrade, that's her business; you won't contribute or participate.

In the same way your dining team has names and table numbers in advance, the concierge team has names, cabin numbers, and photo access (the security photo). And they DO pride themselves on knowing everyone's name I won't say that no one has every been able to get past them, but I'm sure it is few and far between!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=kcashner;46817631]And, on top of all the other measures, the gold KTTW card will ID you to the concierge team./QUOTE]

As with all of the other things previously mentioned, this could be the one thing that would stop your friend. The KTTW card is Gold & completely stands out from the normal KTTW cards. So without the Gold KTTW card anyone with your friend would really stand out & be questioned by the concierge hosts.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: