Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Is a GAC "worth it" for me?

I posted a thread a few days ago about my broken hip (stress fracture). I am going to beg and plead with my doc to give me some nice pain meds and a cane, but I am not optimistic that will work (damn doctors trying to do their job ). I still have a week before we leave, so I am hoping things will go in my favor, but I am also examining my options. If I am ambulatory, I assume stairs are going to be on the no-no list, but I am not sure what else to consider. I have been to WDW a thousand (exaggeration) times, but I have never paid attention to potential painful pitfalls with an injury. Can I use the wheelchair entrances for certain rides that may have a shorter walk? (I am thinking Small World and HM kinda thing- I know with Soarin and such there is no shorter distance.) We average 12-15 miles per day at WDW (some days closer to 20 miles! ), but shaving even a few feet per ride might make it that much more bearable.

Ugh! This is so unpleasant to negotiate! I really feel for you that have to consider these type of things for every trip.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Check out post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread - it is all about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards). You can find the thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

You can get a GAC that allows you to avoid stairs, but for most attractions, the wheelchair entrance is the regular entrance. In most cases, the distance walked is not going to be less or not much less with a GAC.
Depending on how many other people with specisl needs are in line at the time, you may find you are standing longer. On one recent trip, DD and DH got in the accessible line (she uses a wheelchair). By the time I met up with them, they had already been waiting nearly 25 minutes. I could not get to them, so got in the regular line, intending to meet up after we all rode. They ended up 3 boats ahead of me, so waited 25 minutes longer than I did ( and a lot of that was standing on the ramped waiting area.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

There is no GAC for distances. There just isn't. You're welcome to ask at Guest Relations but I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to be told that if distances are a problem then you should rent a mobility device.

That being said, it would probably be helpful to get a GAC for avoiding stairs and to slow or stop moving walkways. I would imagine that you'll be a risk of injury navigating the moving walkways. Not all of them can be stopped or even slowed down but for the ones that can be, I would strongly recommend that you do so.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Also - if you are using a wheelchair or ECV, you won't need a GAC to avoid stairs and moving walkways. They will see the mobility device and route you to the correct place.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

I'd rent an ecv. I had ankle surgery a few years back and my foot just can't walk Disney anymore. I did an ecv for the first time last month and it was a total life saver. I walked when I wanted to, but had the ecv to avoid standing in long lines (rather I waited seated in my ecv), so i could have a seat for the parade, and be pain free.

A cane might not cut it, you'll be walking, stopping and starting alot. Pain is exacerbated by this.

I also found that all of the various walking surfaces really got to my ankle quickly. ie brick, then stone, then wood planks...it changes by the location you are in. This could be very difficult to navigate with a cane.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Definitely rent an ECV. A GAC won't help with distances and as others have said, the "authentic" surfaces may get to you quickly. Handling crowds with a cane can be really hard. People tend to trip over it a lot.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: