Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Jasperann
DIS Veteran
 
Jasperann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Yes, FoodQuest is on the dining plan. It is a quick service restaurant.
Thank you!!
__________________
~Amy~
Me, DDP, DS 7, DD 10, DD 11, and DD 17 (monkey96)

FW March 2010 ~ ASMu May 2011 ~ BWI Deluxe CL May 2013 ~ ASMu March 2014 ~ AKL Villas October 2014
Jasperann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
loganjared
Mouseketeer
 
loganjared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 364

How much is a locker rental?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
DHmeDS(15)DS(13)

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

loganjared is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
disney-akj
DIS Veteran
 
disney-akj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,236

Our kids love Disney Quest, but they like video games!!!! Try it at least once and let your family decide. DH and the older kids went back several times a few evenings, they loved it so much. I wasn't so nuts about some of the motion simulators

Loved the water parks, and we wish it wouldn't have taken us so long to discover them ourselves!!!

We usually rent a locker for wallets and more valuable things like cameras. Though I did buy a water proof camera that I love now (I highly recommend getting one) and use it all the time at the waterparks (just stays on my wrist on all the rides). Lockers are small $13 and large $15 with a $5 refund when you return the key. Towels are $2.

Buy the Sand Pail (picture below) at either I.C. Expeditions at Blizzard Beach or Happy Landings Ice Cream at Typhoon Lagoon. The best $10 you will ever spend. It puts the Kitchen Sink to shame in our opinion

__________________
Me DH DD DD DS
disney-akj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran
 
catherines_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Carolina Coastline
Posts: 1,877

Awesome tips and stories! One question- water shoes:
Can you wear the Teva or Merrel type water shoes? DH and I have some from our cruise and would hate to buy new ones, even if cheap. Can we wear them on the slides, or will we have to hold them on the way down?
__________________
-Deedee P "just keep swimming.. just keep swimming.."
15 trips and counting... December 2014 now JUNE 2015 AKV Trip Report
Our family (40) (37) (13) (12) (9)
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
BirdsOfPreyDave


DIS Veteran
 
BirdsOfPreyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 5,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherines_mama View Post
Awesome tips and stories! One question- water shoes:
Can you wear the Teva or Merrel type water shoes? DH and I have some from our cruise and would hate to buy new ones, even if cheap. Can we wear them on the slides, or will we have to hold them on the way down?
You can wear them on some slides. I know they made me take them off for the Summit Plummet.
__________________
Help! I'm addicted to profile badges! Check out my SSR FAQ here.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
HappyGal
DIS Veteran
 
HappyGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OTP Atlanta
Posts: 1,799

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-akj View Post
Our kids love Disney Quest, but they like video games!!!! Try it at least once and let your family decide. DH and the older kids went back several times a few evenings, they loved it so much. I wasn't so nuts about some of the motion simulators

Loved the water parks, and we wish it wouldn't have taken us so long to discover them ourselves!!!

We usually rent a locker for wallets and more valuable things like cameras. Though I did buy a water proof camera that I love now (I highly recommend getting one) and use it all the time at the waterparks (just stays on my wrist on all the rides). Lockers are small $13 and large $15 with a $5 refund when you return the key. Towels are $2.

Buy the Sand Pail (picture below) at either I.C. Expeditions at Blizzard Beach or Happy Landings Ice Cream at Typhoon Lagoon. The best $10 you will ever spend. It puts the Kitchen Sink to shame in our opinion

I'd love a waterproof camera, what kind do you have?
__________________

Monica
HappyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
Jasperann
DIS Veteran
 
Jasperann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 935

Is Disney Quest free once you are inside? (I know that you need a ticket to enter)

Has anyone done the swimming with the sharks? Are the sharks really in the water with you? Do they stay away from you? I want to do it but I'm scared to death of sharks. But at the same time I LOVE LOVE LOVE snorkeling!!
__________________
~Amy~
Me, DDP, DS 7, DD 10, DD 11, and DD 17 (monkey96)

FW March 2010 ~ ASMu May 2011 ~ BWI Deluxe CL May 2013 ~ ASMu March 2014 ~ AKL Villas October 2014
Jasperann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
brockash
DIS Veteran
 
brockash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,201

Thanks for the replies. Great to know about foodquest inside Disneyquest, I hadn't even thought of that.
__________________
brockash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

We always rent a cabana. With all the money spent at Disney, I just don't see it as a big deal. I like Typhoon Lagoon better than Blizzard Beach. I've had cabanas at TL at both locations. We've had the one up on the right facing the wave pool and we had one in the group that's to the left as you enter the park. I prefer those. There was more shade and since the entire area is either cabanas or rented lounge/umbrellas, there weren't as many people wandering into/next to the cabana.

The kids love the refillable mugs that are included. The cabana furniture is not very comfortable and takes up all of the space within the shack but it provides a nice shady area for those who don't want to be in the water 24-7. The kids could easily find it, we love being able to have lunch ordered and waiting for them when they drop back in!!! And the adult guys in the group really like the full service bar delivery. The runners come around about every 30 minutes.

I took my kindle and read quite a bit and it is nice that I could lock it up quickly when I want to dash out for a dip.

I always rent a pool cabana too. I just think it's one of those things that you really enjoy or you don't.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
mom0299
DIS Veteran
 
mom0299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 10 hours from the Mouse
Posts: 1,015

Subbing.

We are going in June and are getting the WPF&M ticket for the first time. The kids will be 14 and 16. We've decided on Blizzard Beach. DS is excited about DisneyQuest. I was thinking of saving that for later in the week, but I may plan for it earlier so if we like it we can go back some evening since we're staying close to DTD.
__________________
Me DH DS DD

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
We always rent a cabana. With all the money spent at Disney, I just don't see it as a big deal. I like Typhoon Lagoon better than Blizzard Beach. I've had cabanas at TL at both locations. We've had the one up on the right facing the wave pool and we had one in the group that's to the left as you enter the park. I prefer those. There was more shade and since the entire area is either cabanas or rented lounge/umbrellas, there weren't as many people wandering into/next to the cabana.

The kids love the refillable mugs that are included. The cabana furniture is not very comfortable and takes up all of the space within the shack but it provides a nice shady area for those who don't want to be in the water 24-7. The kids could easily find it, we love being able to have lunch ordered and waiting for them when they drop back in!!! And the adult guys in the group really like the full service bar delivery. The runners come around about every 30 minutes.

I took my kindle and read quite a bit and it is nice that I could lock it up quickly when I want to dash out for a dip.

I always rent a pool cabana too. I just think it's one of those things that you really enjoy or you don't.
~I totally agree! Typhoon Lagoon's Beachcomber Shacks (cabanas) are awesome! If you want to splurge the cabanas are the way to go. If you just want to splurge a little, TL also has a reserved seating area for like 50 dollars -- you get two lounge chairs, umbrella, cocktail table, and 2 towels for up to four people. Have fun!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
ZoZo
DIS Veteran
 
ZoZo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperann View Post
Is Disney Quest free once you are inside? (I know that you need a ticket to enter)

Has anyone done the swimming with the sharks? Are the sharks really in the water with you? Do they stay away from you? I want to do it but I'm scared to death of sharks. But at the same time I LOVE LOVE LOVE snorkeling!!
The sharks are small dogfish-type sharks that tend to stay on the bottom of the reef. You won't need to worry about them because you'll be swimming on the surface of the water (you aren't allowed to dive under the water). There are quite a few cool tropical fish to look at, too.

While I think you'll probably enjoy Shark Reef, if you're a really experienced snorkeler (you say you "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snorkeling"!), you might be disappointed. When I did this attraction several years ago, they made you swim pretty much straight across the surface of the water (as I mentioned, no diving under the surface) and didn't let you linger very long. It's not like "free" snorkeling where you can go anywhere you want. This might have changed since I did Shark Reef - anyone have any recent experience there??
__________________
(Teddy, Callie, and Zoe - my "furry kids")
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
Nasscar159
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo

The sharks are small dogfish-type sharks that tend to stay on the bottom of the reef. You won't need to worry about them because you'll be swimming on the surface of the water (you aren't allowed to dive under the water). There are quite a few cool tropical fish to look at, too.

While I think you'll probably enjoy Shark Reef, if you're a really experienced snorkeler (you say you "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snorkeling"!), you might be disappointed. When I did this attraction several years ago, they made you swim pretty much straight across the surface of the water (as I mentioned, no diving under the surface) and didn't let you linger very long. It's not like "free" snorkeling where you can go anywhere you want. This might have changed since I did Shark Reef - anyone have any recent experience there??
Don't forget that the water is also extremely cold. I like my water in the 90,s but I think this water was something like 68 degrees, I wasn't a fan
Nasscar159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
beaprn
Mouseketeer
 
beaprn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 79

Disney Quest

Disney Quest is a supercharged arcade. The virtual reality attractions alone are worth the price of admission. We usually do this on a "chill day" arriving late morning and doing a go thru then leave shop, eat, etc, Then go back in the evening usually closing the place down. We love the build a coaster, the pirate attraction and all the old arcade games. It is great because of the variety of arcade, racing and shooting games can keep you amused for hours. The two waterparks are different in theme but alike in layout. Do not miss swimming with the sharks at Typhoon Lagoon. Have a great trip!!
beaprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #30
cmpeter
DIS Veteran
 
cmpeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 619

The games and activities are free once you go inside DQ. They have a roller coaster simulation ride that is a TON of fun...we liked it better than Sum of All Thrills.

Blizzard Beach also has reserved chairs/tables you can rent for about $50 a day. We did it when we went this past August. The area for them is near the wave pool, sort of elevated and roped off. It's covered (shady). However, if it starts to lightening, you have to leave that area. If you are planning on getting there at rope drop, you could just as easily find some loungers in the shade. We spent so little time sitting, I am not sure it was really worth it. I wouldn't rent a cabana for the same reason...we all wanted to be on the slides.

The park was shut down for lightening when we were there...all slides were closed for about 45 minutes. A ton of people left. We moved to one of the regular lounge chair areas and waited out the storm. The lines were really short after that. The ski lift also went down and it's a REAL hike to get up to the slides when that happens.

I have PF, so I can't handle walking around on all the concrete without shoes. I wore my croc flip flops the whole time. On some rides I took them off and looped them over my hands when I went down the slides. If I had water shoes, I would have worn them, but the flip flops were no problem.

The lazy river is wonderful. It loops around most of the park. There are multiple entry points. Tubes sort just float down, so if you go to get into the river and there are no tubes sitting by the steps, just wait a few minutes and some will come drifting by.

The food at BB was the WORST we had at Disney. However, they have some mini donuts that are to die for good. We brought a smaller cooler with snacks and water bottles, at lunch at the quick service place and then had the donuts for dessert.
__________________
Cindi
cmpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.