Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Would you....

Cancel coral reef in favor of Garden Grill? Its me, the 5yr old twins and my 12 yr old step son. We are doing LTT earlier in the week, and have 3 other character meals... So is it silly to consider Garden Grill as our last meal at WDW before departing next am?

The food will make everyone happy, and there's less waiting which is always a plus when traveling solo with 3 kids... But am I missing out by canceling Coral Reef!?
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
DbleTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed the food at Garden Grill and thought Coral Reef was just Ok. The aquarium is very fun to watch but if you are not seated close it can be hard to see around everyone else. And it is very loud. My vote would be GG and to spend some time in the Seas pavilion checking out the aquarium.

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Unless you are really into the idea of eating in a room where there is a giant aquarium, you are not missing anything by choosing Garden Grill over Coral Reef.

You can see the aquarium outside the restaurant, if it's just the fish that interest you.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Unless you are really into the idea of eating in a room where there is a giant aquarium, you are not missing anything by choosing Garden Grill over Coral Reef.

You can see the aquarium outside the restaurant, if it's just the fish that interest you.
Its actually the "chocolate wave" im most interested in! Haha!!

I think I'm just worried that I'm missing out by skipping Coral Reef again this trip.... The whole "eat in an aquarium" bit isnt that big a deal to me or the kids... I just thought the menu looked good, but I think at the end of the day, we'd all enjoy the food at GG the same or better.

I will just need to get my chocolate fix over in the World Showcase!
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Why are you thinking about switching to Garden Grill? For the characters, because the kids will like the food?

Personally I don't think it would be too off base for you to include one meal that is YOUR choice.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I think LTT and GG are very similar. I would stick with CR.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

This is really a matter of personal preference, but for me, 4 character meals would be too many. So while I would have no issue with cancelling Coral Reef, I am not sure that I would sub in Garden Grill. I would look elsewhere.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV
This is really a matter of personal preference, but for me, 4 character meals would be too many. So while I would have no issue with cancelling Coral Reef, I am not sure that I would sub in Garden Grill. I would look elsewhere.
Agreed, but despite visiting Disney more than 9 times before the boys turn 6 (living in another country on opposite coast) my kids still LOVE character meals. Hahaha... We dont do character meet/greets while in the park (unless we spot someone unique) and they still TRULY believe that the Characters are "real". We are at Chef Mickeys, Ohana Breakfast and H&V (strictly for the characters lol). If it were an adult only trip, or my kids were older, I wouldnt even be waffling, but considering most the kids meal options are similar, Im thinking they'll actually get MORE variety eating at LTT and GG the same week because of the variety of meats and veggies included, though I agree, my first worry was the meals are similar.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Why are you thinking about switching to Garden Grill? For the characters, because the kids will like the food?

Personally I don't think it would be too off base for you to include one meal that is YOUR choice.
We are doing a Dream DCL cruise prior to park for the week, so I will get my spoiling for food then. I also love Teppan Edo and The Wave, which we are doing earlier in the week, So I'm definitely getting a few fav's of my own. Haha. The thing is- MY choice is being able to sit down with the three kids, and enjoy the meal.... No whining, no being bored, just 3 kids (and subsequently me) that are happy, smiling and creating magical memories. Whats on my plate is less important than the expressions on the kids' faces... It's why I keep going back.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

We always enjoyed GG and I booked same for Candlelight Processional Package. Then I checked the food and saw they are making the fish differently. My kids really loved the breaded catfish. I got a bit concerned about whether or not they'd enjoy the meal and presented them with a choice.....CR or GG. CR won hands down. They claim they like the food better at CR! Kids are 13 and 15.
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: