Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

After staying at the Contemporary, I was afraid I would also hate POFQ, but in fact I LOVED it. It was very nice and comfortable. I really liked it it was small and the bus service was phenomenal.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

DH and I used to try different resorts for each WDW trip, until we stayed at POFQ. In my opinion, this is one of the best resorts on WDW property. The grounds are gorgeous, the resort is very small, and the boat ride to DTD is a nice perk. I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised when you get to the resort. We will be there on the 10th!!

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite

Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
POR is what used to be Dixie Landings, not POFQ. POFQ used to simply be called Port Orleans.
Correct but they both are basically the same in my opinion.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
Tigger2252
DIS Veteran

We love AKL and have been fortunate enough to stay there a couple of times. POFQ is our absolute favorite moderate resort though. We love the smaller size, the boat to DTD, the dedicated bus with only 1 stop, and the food court. The walkway that links POFQ with POR is a lovely walk too. I have to say there isn't one thing I didn't like about the resort. Now that they have queen size beds I'm really excited!
AKL November 2009
ASM April 2009
POFQ October 2008 MNSSHP
POFQ October 2006 MNSSHP
POFQ November 2005
CSR November 2004
CBR December 2003

Tigger2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
craftymama71
Mouseketeer

We've only stayed at POFQ, so I can't compare it to any other resort ,but we absolutley loved it. I have read on here people complain because it's so small, but that's what we loved about it. We are debating where to stay next year, but I am almost certain we will end up back there.....But like the other posters have suggested, if it's upsetting you so much, can you change resorts?
Goodluck, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time

Disneyland - October 2008

Disney Sea Tokyo - August 2010

DisneyWorld POFQ - September 2011

Me DH DD 14 Jasper the crazy puppy
craftymama71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #21
HappyGal
DIS Veteran

I wasn't excited to stay at there either and it turns out I should have listened to my gut. We were there 3 nights and I couldn't take it anymore and asked to be switched to AoA which we loved!

Monica
HappyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
mlittig
DIS Veteran

You might like to check out this website for some great information about the French Quarter It was created by Andre, one of our own DIS members:

http://portorleans.org/

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I understand your frustration but I would live to reassure you about POFQ. We are in the airport, just having left BC and all my family has said is that they missed our favorite resort. Honestly, I love AKL but we all feel you can't beat POFQ for money or atmosphere. It is a quaint compact resort that is convenient to everything.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

Sometimes when you go in with no (or low) expectations, you are even more pleasantly surprised when you get there. Look for the silver lining and I hope you enjoy your vacation

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Just came home a few hours ago from POR. You will love either one - POR or POFQ. The rooms are large, the beds are sooooo comfortable, the food courts are fantastic, the rooms are clean, the common areas are clean, the pools are extremely clean & well-kept, etc, etc, etc!

If you get tired of the smaller atmosphere & food court at POFQ, it is just a short walk to POR's very large food court, which is probably the best food court on Disney property. FQ shares the pools with POR. You may use any of the quiet pools. There is so much beauty in walking through the French Quarter townhouses, the POR Alligator section, & the POR mansion section.

If you are not happy or not satisfied in any way - stop at the front desk of the resort. They will do everything possible to help you enjoy your stay more. This is a class A resort. I have never been disappointed! Try it - you might just like it!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

not excited about PORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Nothing is wrong with you, and I get it! OK, I'm a very "glass half full" kind of person, but I find it helps to have realistic expectations going in, so my post will include both pros and cons. For background, we've stayed in every deluxe except GF and every mod except POR. For the past nine years or so, it's been entirely deluxe. Last spring, I took our youngest son for a few days during Easter week - rack rate, holiday season everywhere and I just didn't like those prices. So I decided to do three nights at POFQ and then switch to YC when the discounts kicked in.

I'd say POFQ is either my favorite mod or even with CSR. I LOVED the small size of the resort - very cozy and wonderful that were so close to the buses, to the food court for refill mugs, to the pool, etc. I also liked the fact that if you want to walk further, POR is just down the path. So while POFQ is small, it's not isolated or too small. The food court was one of the least chaotic resort food courts I've seen. The CMs at the gift shop were wonderful and the selection was great. The grounds were very nice and well-themed. The pool slide was fun for our 5-year-old. The bus service was quite good first thing in the morning to MK (not so good to Epcot in the afternoon for dinner ADRs.) If a deluxe doesn't fit your budget, POFQ is a great choice.

But POFQ was an adjustment after sticking with deluxe resorts exclusively for such a long time. I was thrilled to get to YC at the end of our trip. I think part of the problem was that I read several posts suggesting that POFQ was similar to a deluxe, and some from posters who preferred POFQ to a deluxe. I thought the difference between POFQ and a deluxe was significant. I missed the easy walk from the Epcot deluxes to Epcot and DHS. I missed the quick monorail or boat to MK from the MK area resorts. But if you are used to AKL and buses, that may not be as big of a deal. I missed the balcony we have at deluxe resorts quite a lot - I think that was one of the biggest issues. And I think the difference between the AKL lobby and the POFQ entry is, well, significant.

But I agree with others that the best thing to do is focus on the other aspects of the trip and spend as much time out of the resort as possible. If we're staying somewhere I'm excited about (whether at WDW or elsewhere), then I include that in my focus. If not, I just think about the other things I love. (And if you're thinking about a possible switch, I wonder what the WL rates are like for your stay - those are often really reasonable and not much more than a mod!)

Really hope you have a wonderful trip!
I think i know how you feel. Back in 2004 i had booked the grand Floridan but because i lost my job i had to switch to this resort. I wasn't happy about it. My DBF loved the place. He really loved the pool,i hated it. But i put on a smile because it was his first trip to a disney park and while it wasn't a dexlue,the mousekeeping took very good care of us and the food court wasn't too bad. I told myself your at wdw with the one who l loved and we had a blast. He realy loved the bost to downtown disney. so perhaps thing will not be too bad have a maigical stay.
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest A proud Disney stock holder. A fan for life of the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks 2014 superbowl champions
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
We are owners at AKL so obviously we love it there BUT we also LOVE POFQ! When we bought into DVC our guide couldn't believe that we said we were sad because we would never stay there again. It's romantic and smaller and quieter which can be a nice change of pace from the parks.
Exactly...and living 100 miles from the REAL New Orleans, it does a great job at capturing the essence of that wonderful town. It is a beautiful, serene resort but with a spark of Mardi Gras. It reminds me a little of the River Walk mall down at the end of Canal Street on the MS River.

Their beignets are not quite as good as the Cafe DuMonde--but they try very hard.

We own at AKV, but I would rate POFQ my fav moderate by far. We had a great trip there.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

I stayed there on night before we checked into another Disney resort.
It is just ok. But it really is a you get what you pay for situation.

I would rather stay a few days less than stay moderate.

All the choices available make it easy to have what you want.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu

Exactly...and living 100 miles from the REAL New Orleans, it does a great job at capturing the essence of that wonderful town. It is a beautiful, serene resort but with a spark of Mardi Gras. It reminds me a little of the River Walk mall down at the end of Canal Street on the MS River.

Their beignets are not quite as good as the Cafe DuMonde--but they try very hard.

We own at AKV, but I would rate POFQ my fav moderate by far. We had a great trip there.
Hush now! Cafe duMonde and pofq beignets in the same sentence is near blasphemy! Hahaha jk.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieand3rs View Post
We are leaving in a matter of days for the World. Originally we were staying at AKL, but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to switch to POFQ to save a little money. I am super excited about our trip in general, but I can't seem to care about the resort. I don't know what my deal is, but it just doesn't do it for me! What's wrong with me?
nothing you just wanted to stay at a deluxe - that say POFQ is a smaller resort - and is very nice.

look at the website that mlittig that posted.

the thing I don't like about is the swimming pool - now it is great for kids - but really enjoyed a community pool. now you can also use the stuff including pools at POR - and it does have community pools (use to be quiet)

of course who knows the pool is definitely cute you might enjoy it.

they have a nice hot tub.

next door at POR is entertainment at night - Bob (I think) read the por website it will say.

it does have a boat to DTD - that is alot of fun to ride - so it does have some things.

disney does not try to be like the real New Orleans - but one that New Orleans would probably love to be. It is definitely cleaner and less crime than the real one.

who knows it might become your new favorite wdw resort.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: