Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
KuyaRomeo
The Mouse that RAWRED

Questions: Tables in Wonderland Membership

Ok, so my family is planning on being in Disney World for 3 weeks in January 2013. We eat out every night, and so we are looking into buying the "Tables in Wonderland Membership" for $100. It gives us 20% off of most of our meals (most restaurants we want to dine in are listed on this offer).

The membership is available for $100 to DVC members. My father and I are both DVC members, independently. We also have the same first and last name.

We are wondering, if we buy one Tables in Wonderland Membership, can we both use it? For example if I want to go to dinner one night without him, and he gives me his card and his dvc card . . can I use the discount because we use his card?

Is anyone a member of "Tables in Wonderland"? Any insight?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

TIW states that you are not allowed to let others use your card. That is one of the reasons on our trip in June we are getting our card in my name. DD & I are going to the Garden View Tea Room without the boys but we will be together for all other meals. So we are getting the card in my name otherwise we would have to pay an additional $50 for my card or not have a discount at that meal.

If you are going to be together for all meals except for the one that is separate for you, I would get the card in your name. Then you can split the cost of the TIW card and you can pay for all meals & have your Dad reimburse you for his portion of said meals. Then the cost would be $100 less and save each of you $50.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014

Last edited by AlohaAnnie; 11-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
AlohaAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Officially it is not supposed to be done and is cheating the system.

However, as long as there is no Sr, Jr, III, etc., on the card and you have identification for that name it can be accepted.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaRomeo View Post
We are wondering, if we buy one Tables in Wonderland Membership, can we both use it? For example if I want to go to dinner one night without him, and he gives me his card and his dvc card . . can I use the discount because we use his card?
There is no need to show a DVC card when using the TiW card. You only need that to buy one.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
KuyaRomeo
The Mouse that RAWRED

Thank you for all of the good information. . .

So, in short, since we have the same name and our photo ID's do not designate any JR, SR, III . . . etc, we should be ok to use the same card. The question is whether morally I will be able to do this. Which, is actually a tough decision.

The thing is, that my Dad goes to cheaper restaurants . . . but he and my mom travel to WDW many times each year so the card would be beneficial for him over the year span.

I only go once per year . . . but I tend to lean towards the pricier dining options throughout the parks etc . . . so I would certainly benefit from using it . . but seeing that we only go once per year . . . it is not as attractive as it should be.

Maybe I will have my Dad get the card and I will just reap it's benefits when we all dine together . . and bite the bullet on the nights I dine without him . .

Thank you for all for providing info!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Quote:
. . . but he and my mom travel to WDW many times each year so the card would be beneficial for him over the year span.
Slightly OT, does that mean your dad has an annual pass?

I only ask because AP holders can get the TiW card for only $75 rather than the $100 that DVC members pay.

I've been getting the TiW card for years. First buy the DVC discounted AP, then use the AP to get the TiW card.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for all of the good information. . .

So, in short, since we have the same name and our photo ID's do not designate any JR, SR, III . . . etc, we should be ok to use the same card. The question is whether morally I will be able to do this. Which, is actually a tough decision.

The thing is, that my Dad goes to cheaper restaurants . . . but he and my mom travel to WDW many times each year so the card would be beneficial for him over the year span.

I only go once per year . . . but I tend to lean towards the pricier dining options throughout the parks etc . . . so I would certainly benefit from using it . . but seeing that we only go once per year . . . it is not as attractive as it should be.

Maybe I will have my Dad get the card and I will just reap it's benefits when we all dine together . . and bite the bullet on the nights I dine without him . .

Thank you for all for providing info!
You're correct. It is a moral quesiton, not a technical question. I think you understand the policies of the program. Only you can decide what is right.
I know what I would do.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
bcrook
DIS Veteran

If you are going to be there for three weeks, I would get one of my own - Simply For convenience sake. I would find it easier to pay my share, and be able to go wherever I want.

Have fun!
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFanJen View Post

I only ask because AP holders can get the TiW card for only $75 rather than the $100 that DVC members pay.

I've been getting the TiW card for years. First buy the DVC discounted AP, then use the AP to get the TiW card.
That's a really good thing you noticed there! Hope the OP sees it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
alldiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFanJen View Post

Thanks for that info....I thought the 100 was more than I remembered.

DVC Premium AP's 399 till end of December....and you don't activate till you go...Good deal
1978-offsite 1st visit, 1982, 1992 offsite, May 2006- 1st family trip Wilderness Lodge, Nov 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Jan 07- POFQ and POP, May 2007- SSR 1st DVC trip Aug 2007- YC, BCV...and POFQ free diningApril 2008-BWV,and OKW Oct 2008-BWV and WLV 1st trip "home", Nov/Dec 2009- WLV and DCL April 2011- BCV, Carnival Cruise,AKV(Kidani), BLT.... Aug/Sept 2011-OKW, and BWVMarch/April 2013-SSR May 2013-BWV and BCV June/July 2013-Carnival Cruise and WLV Dec/Jan 2013/14 -AKV Jambo, Carnival Cruise, WLV
alldiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
KuyaRomeo
The Mouse that RAWRED

I have decided that this was a "stupid" question and am now a bit embarrassed that I asked.

I have decided that my Father will get one, as he is also getting the annual pass. Therefore the 10% off of dining works well for him.

I will not be getting one, and not using his. For me to get one, I need to spend $1,000 in food just to break even, as we only come to Disney World once a year. Yes, we will probably end up spending more than that . . . but the savings is just not tempting enough for me to buy the card.

That being said . . . my conscience has kicked in, and I will not be using my fathers card. I am a small business owner. I, of all people, should have known better then to try to cheat the system. It just goes to show you how much we sometimes think we aren't hurting anything . . but we are no better than a thief. Again, embarrassed that I was even thinking of going down that right.

Thank you for reminding me to be a person again!

My father will enjoy the savings from being an annual pass holder. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have decided that this was a "stupid" question and am now a bit embarrassed that I asked.

I have decided that my Father will get one, as he is also getting the annual pass. Therefore the 10% off of dining works well for him.

I will not be getting one, and not using his. For me to get one, I need to spend $1,000 in food just to break even, as we only come to Disney World once a year. Yes, we will probably end up spending more than that . . . but the savings is just not tempting enough for me to buy the card.

That being said . . . my conscience has kicked in, and I will not be using my fathers card. I am a small business owner. I, of all people, should have known better then to try to cheat the system. It just goes to show you how much we sometimes think we aren't hurting anything . . but we are no better than a thief. Again, embarrassed that I was even thinking of going down that right.

Thank you for reminding me to be a person again!

My father will enjoy the savings from being an annual pass holder. Thanks for the info!
Just an FYI that the savings is 20%, not 10%, so if you buy a TIW for $100, the break-even point is $500, not $1,000, and for your father, since he has an AP, the break-even point is $375.

We love our TIW and find it pays for itself many times over!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

If you eat out every night for 3 weeks, I would definitely consider the investment. 20% including alcohol (I don't know how much you drink, but even two glasses of wine add up in WDW) is really worth it for us. We, too, tend to eat out at TS restaurants each night, and for our party of 6-8, the savings add up quickly.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
davinakb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy
Just an FYI that the savings is 20%, not 10%, so if you buy a TIW for $100, the break-even point is $500, not $1,000, and for your father, since he has an AP, the break-even point is $375. We love our TIW and find it pays for itself many times over!
We do a lot of signature and resort dining, find it worth it if we know we will eat out a lot. we almost always drink wine, have bigger party so savings add up quickly. And we valet park, so I count my break even even lower.
davinakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
Just an FYI that the savings is 20%, not 10%, so if you buy a TIW for $100, the break-even point is $500, not $1,000, and for your father, since he has an AP, the break-even point is $375.

We love our TIW and find it pays for itself many times over!
Just to toss something in the mix here.....don't AP holders already get a 10% discount at most TS restraunts?
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: