Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
MinnieMom
Because everyone needs a little magic in their life!

Best place to view castle from outside the park?

Is this even possible? DH and I are making a quick stop at Disney during a mini-vacay this week. I'm only getting 1-day park hopper passes since that's all we'll have time for and my hope is to be able to do all of the following:
  • Go to MK for the opening ceremony and spend a few hours there
  • Head over to Epcot around lunch to catch a few shows and the Candlelight Processional at 5 PM
  • Go to Hollywood Studios right after CP just to see the Osborne lights
  • Somehow see the castle all lit up!

I think the first 3 are manageable as we aren't planning on any rides. We just want to see all the decorations since we've never been to WDW for Christmas before. MK closes at 7 PM the day we are going to be there for MVMCP, so I was hoping we could head to a resort to see the castle lit up and watch the fireworks, but I know we've watched before from the Polynesian and California Grill and they really weren't great views of the castle, just the fireworks.

Is it even possible to see the castle lit up outside of the park? Thanks so much for any input/suggestions!

MinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I am not aware of any place you can see the castle from outside of the park. They have a tree line and in some places a berm to shield the park from the outside world. Since you have a hopper why not just run back in quickly to get a quick look. You can get a very nice view of the castle just a short distance into the park. Once you pass under the train station you can see the castle. Now the fireworks are easy. You can see them from any place around the 7-seas lagoon. The Poly is a particularly nice place to relax and watch the fireworks.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I think Poly beach and GF on the boat dock are going to be your best bets. Or, if you don't mind moving, you can get a fairly up close view while riding the monorail. It will be a quick look, though!

You may not have planned for the extra expense, but you could buy tickets to MVMCP? That way you can see the castle up close, see the new Celebrate the Magic show and see the fireworks. Even see it snow on Main St.!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Last trip before we got on the ferry from the ttc to magic kingdom there was a nice view of the castle. If you have to go back to get your car you can probably shuffle down to the ferry dock to see the castle. You can check it out on your way into the park in the morning. Also, hitting 3 parks in one day is totally doable, we do it all the time. Sounds like a nice day you have planned. Here is the view, it looks a lot bigger in person:

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)

Last edited by DisneyRegulars; 11-28-2012 at 09:46 AM.
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

You can also take the monorail to the Contemporary Resort. There is an outside viewing deck on the north end of the Tower on the 4th floor. The doors to access this area are just beyond the Fantasia store and the Fantasia Market.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
MinnieMom

WOW! I knew there was a reason I loved this forum so much :D You all are awesome. Thanks so much for all the tips.

I would love it if we could make it back to MK to see the castle all lit up after we go to HS, but I doubt that's gonna happen. I just checked into tix for MVMCP and whoa . . . I'm not sure I can justify the extra expense on top of already paying the $250 for the one day park hoppers! Will have to give that some more thought!

I forgot about the observation deck on the 4th floor of the Contemporary. We actually should get to Orlando around 6 PM the night before we plan to hit the parks, so maybe we'll go there soon after we arrive and see how much of the castle we can see. If we're not happy with that, then maybe we'll find it's best to just cough up the $$ and go to the party

Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMom
WOW! I knew there was a reason I loved this forum so much :D You all are awesome. Thanks so much for all the tips.

I would love it if we could make it back to MK to see the castle all lit up after we go to HS, but I doubt that's gonna happen. I just checked into tix for MVMCP and whoa . . . I'm not sure I can justify the extra expense on top of already paying the $250 for the one day park hoppers! Will have to give that some more thought!

I forgot about the observation deck on the 4th floor of the Contemporary. We actually should get to Orlando around 6 PM the night before we plan to hit the parks, so maybe we'll go there soon after we arrive and see how much of the castle we can see. If we're not happy with that, then maybe we'll find it's best to just cough up the $$ and go to the party
This was taken from a balcony from our Tower Club room May 2010 (this was an upgrade). This was taken with a BlackBerry so excuse the quality but it will give you an idea of what you can see from the Contemporary

[IMG][/IMG]
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
MinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
This was taken from a balcony from our Tower Club room May 2010 (this was an upgrade). This was taken with a BlackBerry so excuse the quality but it will give you an idea of what you can see from the Contemporary

[IMG][/IMG]
That's a great view! I would be more than happy with that if it means I don't have to spend another $150 just to do the MVMCP!! Thanks so much for posting the pic. I'm definitely going to plan on visiting the Contemporary now

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMom View Post
There's a picture taken of the castle from the 4th floor deck on the Contemporary info thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2762185

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page. One nice feature of the 4th floor observation deck is that they pipe in the music from the fireworks show.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Here is a picture taken from the 4th floor deck showing the benches to sit at.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: