Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #106
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

Well I guess I could but usually its not just one person in front of me. I have been 6 rows back with a perfect view for the stage show and then out of all of them 1 person stands up. I just move, I don't make an issue about it but it is frustrating.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #107
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

~I just assume people sitting for the parade are going to eventually stand once it starts (this has always been the case), even for the electrical parade. There is no way, I would ask someone if they are going to stand for the parade. What if they don't know? What if they change their mind? If you want to see the parade find a spot early.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #108
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
This woman is the type of, how shall I put this, ummm, non-gentile woman that gives all of her ethnic background a black eye!!! Pushy, entitled, self-important. So yeah, we have rude folks here in the USA as well
advice for the future...

"Jew" is not a bad word. No reason to not say it. I say it a lot. Many Jews use the word. It isnt a bad word. You can skip the whole, "ummm" and "how shall I put this" stuff and just say the word if you aren't going to say something anti-Semitic.

If you are going to say something anti-semitic, like one rude woman makes all Jews bad, you might want to just keep it to yourself. Even if you don't find such comments morally repugnant, they are generally considered socially unacceptable.

There was a big movement during the 60s and 70s to get people to stop stereotyping entire groups of people using one rotten person as an example. Since then, that kind of talk is the type of thing people do quietly, with others who might, ummm, how shall I put this? They are non-decent people.
Fantasmic sucks.

Last edited by kaligal; 11-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #109
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Just a heads up. Me and my mom alternates standing and sitting down to rest while waiting for the parade so if you see two gals talking and one of them is sitting, just assume both will stand up by the time the parade starts. FYI, she's 5.11 and I'm 5.9. No, we don't feel like letting your child stand up in front of us and no, we don't plan on sitting down the whole time.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #110
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Does anyone else find it really hard to see the parades from a seated position in the front row? Half the time you're staring at the wheels of the floats or up the performer's noses!
Yep. Parades are soooo much better from a distance. We once were eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace (when it used to be always open) and we watched the parade from a distance. Extremely nice and *gasp* we could see everything! Same thing with a drink at the Dawa Bar at Animal Kingdom. Wow! What a concept.

Now we avoid parades at Disney World and will do anything to miss them. Too much hassle with stupid tourists.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #111
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
advice for the future...

"Jew" is not a bad word. No reason to not say it. I say it a lot. Many Jews use the word. It isnt a bad word. You can skip the whole, "ummm" and "how shall I put this" stuff and just say the word if you aren't going to say something anti-Semitic.

If you are going to say something anti-semitic, like one rude woman makes all Jews bad, you might want to just keep it to yourself. Even if you don't find such comments morally repugnant, they are generally considered socially unacceptable.

There was a big movement during the 60s and 70s to get people to stop stereotyping entire groups of people using one rotten person as an example. Since then, that kind of talk is the type of thing people do quietly, with others who might, ummm, how shall I put this? They are non-decent people.
This!

I couldn't have put it more perfectly myself.

Being honest, I was rather offended by that comment. Not just as a Jew, but as a human being. I do not see one person acting badly and believe (humorously or not) that they are putting the rest of their race/ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation to shame. Judging all by the actions of one is wrong.

There was absolutely no reason to mention her ethnicity. It was not relevant to the point you were making. At all.

Hollie x

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #112
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8

Now we avoid parades at Disney World and will do anything to miss them. Too much hassle with stupid tourists.
I am glad you miss the parades too. Stupid locals. Hmpf!
Yep I said it. You were RUDE.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #113
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

We "stumbled" upon the Boo to You Parade (IE we were trying to get to a ride and oh look a parade) We were in the back but had a pretty good view. We also arrived at HS right as the pixar parade was going on. Got a..not too good spot but not terrible. Got some decent photos. Same with the Electric Parade. Never had too terrible of a view considering. In fact, I felt lucky. But I was not so impressed by any of them that I would make a scene over not being able to see if I got there late/others were in front of me. If I want to see the parade I'll walk the route until I could be in the front. We were waiting for the 2nd Boo to You (we had missed the first few floats and the horseman) and were right on the curb. We sat while we were waiting. There was pretty much NO ONE left. I don't know if I would've stood because my mom got sick and we had to leave. If we had stood, well there was plenty of room for kids to be if they couldn't see. That being said we were also near where Mickey meets people so we could've stood on the steps if need (and allowed). Anyway, it is a parade. Is it magical for the kids? Sure but the world will still spin, you'll still need gas for your car, and you'll still need to pay off your Disney bill whether or not you see the parade.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #114
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Mardi Gras parades, you don't sit, no matter how long you waited.
Amen to that -- first beads fly, you're a dead man.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #115
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Agree with you totally- even worse..... those who put there kids on there shoulders at the cinderella castle shows!!! There are some who will argue that "they got there first" and feel entitled to block everyone else, but I agree that if everyone thought about others....yeah- not going to happen
I'm on the fence on this one. There are lots of options for watching the castle show and fireworks, and one should really consider the possibility that someone will be taller in front of you. I don't know that there is a *good* system...how far back is *far enough* to be able to stand or hold your child? We had a pretty nasty situation when we were there in Oct. We staked out our spot on the ground at the curb on the circle for the parade with no problems. Then when the street was opened, others filled in but threw a royal fit that we were ready to stand in the same place we had been sitting...I've never seen the anger so openly projected. The real joke of it was, if we had sat back down, then we would have been unable to see through the people who were previously to our left and were now standing in front of us as we faced the castle. We don't *boost* our kids up, and we all just accept that there will not likely be a *perfect* spot to see *everything*. I try not to be rude and stand at the front (it is a bit irksome when you have the curb seat and the person next to you stands so you can 't see until the float is directly in front of you )....but then I do see that there are choices to be made at WDW and if having the premium spot is truly important then a person probably needs to give up something else to score the spot on the curb.
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #116
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
I'm on the fence on this one. There are lots of options for watching the castle show and fireworks, and one should really consider the possibility that someone will be taller in front of you.

Of course someone in front of you can always be taller. But when you put a child on your shoulders, you become superhuman tall.

We staked out our spot really early for the Castle lighing last year, right up front near the stag. At the last minute, the person right in front of us hoisted his child up on his shoulders. We had no way of knowing he was going to do that, and by the time he did it, it was too late for us to find a different spot. I thought it was really rude, especially since he was in front to begin with. I know the stage is high, but he could have easily moved to the side and done that with no problem. But nope.... front and center, right up on the shoulders.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #117
nblake05
Mouseketeer

Here is something that happened to us while we are at MK on the 40th:

We made our ADRs really early so we could. Have a leisurely meal and still make it out of the restaurant a good 2 hours prior to the EP, TMMandY and Wishes. So we get to the hub area 2+ hours early and people are already gathered about 1/2 way back the hub. Everyone is seated and we find our seats and settle in for the long wait. Here's the thing EVERYONE was getting along just great...we were getting to know all these nice people around us....it was kinda like a party atmosphere. Considering how crowded the park was that day, I was really surprised to find so many people in such good moods and being so friendly. It was magical. Then just prior to the start of It all 2 young women show up and stand right in front of this large group of us. People started yelling out, nicely at first, if they could sit down. The girls turned around and smirked, rolled their eyes at ALL of us. Now this wonderful party atmosphere was getting charged! We all sort of took turns trying to explain that if they sat we could all see, that we had all been there for 2 or more hours and it was rude of them to squeeze in and block the view for all of us with no consideration. They just LAUGHED! Then we told them that TMMY is shown on the castle and Wishes is clearly in the sky, so if they sit down it wouldn't ruin it for them. Then one of the girls turned around and said, "I KNOW that...we work here." People went crazy.... I mean MK almost had a riot. But it was, in a weird way, almost neat to see a crowd of strangers uniting against a common cause. Finally after this crowd Screaming at this girl to sit down she sat down just as TMMY was starting! Everyone yelled out thank you and clapped! I just couldn't believe that after a crazy day like the 40th a CM was the problem and NOT this crowd of hot and tired tourists! I hate to say it but DH & I and a couple of families from this group went to Guest Services after and complained, fully understanding that (although we all tried to get pictures of the girls )without their names not much could be done, but we did feel it was something management should know about. I hated doing it, I NEVER complain...would always rather praise excellent service instead. But we all felt that this went beyond the pale. But still, so interesting that it was a Disney CM and not some ill-planned guest that was so inconsiderate and so sad that 99% of CMs are so wonderful and somehow these 2 slipped through the cracks.

Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.--Walt Disney
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #118
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblake05 View Post
Here is something that happened to us while we are at MK on the 40th:

We made our ADRs really early so we could. Have a leisurely meal and still make it out of the restaurant a good 2 hours prior to the EP, TMMandY and Wishes. So we get to the hub area 2+ hours early and people are already gathered about 1/2 way back the hub. Everyone is seated and we find our seats and settle in for the long wait. Here's the thing EVERYONE was getting along just great...we were getting to know all these nice people around us....it was kinda like a party atmosphere. Considering how crowded the park was that day, I was really surprised to find so many people in such good moods and being so friendly. It was magical. Then just prior to the start of It all 2 young women show up and stand right in front of this large group of us. People started yelling out, nicely at first, if they could sit down. The girls turned around and smirked, rolled their eyes at ALL of us. Now this wonderful party atmosphere was getting charged! We all sort of took turns trying to explain that if they sat we could all see, that we had all been there for 2 or more hours and it was rude of them to squeeze in and block the view for all of us with no consideration. They just LAUGHED! Then we told them that TMMY is shown on the castle and Wishes is clearly in the sky, so if they sit down it wouldn't ruin it for them. Then one of the girls turned around and said, "I KNOW that...we work here." People went crazy.... I mean MK almost had a riot. But it was, in a weird way, almost neat to see a crowd of strangers uniting against a common cause. Finally after this crowd Screaming at this girl to sit down she sat down just as TMMY was starting! Everyone yelled out thank you and clapped! I just couldn't believe that after a crazy day like the 40th a CM was the problem and NOT this crowd of hot and tired tourists! I hate to say it but DH & I and a couple of families from this group went to Guest Services after and complained, fully understanding that (although we all tried to get pictures of the girls )without their names not much could be done, but we did feel it was something management should know about. I hated doing it, I NEVER complain...would always rather praise excellent service instead. But we all felt that this went beyond the pale. But still, so interesting that it was a Disney CM and not some ill-planned guest that was so inconsiderate and so sad that 99% of CMs are so wonderful and somehow these 2 slipped through the cracks.
Do you think that all CMs just as magical off duty as when they wear name tags? What was complain about anyway, she cut in front of you while being a guest and not CM?

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #119
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Do you think that all CMs just as magical off duty as when they wear name tags? What was complain about anyway, she cut in front of you while being a guest and not CM?
Even where I work if I am on site, I am expect to behave a certain way. On duty or not. You are still representing the brand, so to speak.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #120
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

I have to agree with above, you represent "the brand" even when off duty and have an obligation to uphold certain standards. People in my office are routinely held accountable for their out of office behavior. In this case it's especially relevant since the off-duty CMs made a point of saying they worked there.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: