Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #91
jpdeg99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Generally people are nice, there are just occasions that you get rude and entitled both ways. Some people pull the "I was here first and have every right to stand here despite being seven feet tall and blocking the view of five children!!!" and others who get their right at the time the parade starts and want to squeeze their kids into the spot right in front of you, (which is honestly not a big if its just one three foot tall kid)..and then "oh my kids are there, and I need to be with them!" and suddenly you can't see. And then my new favorite "I hope you like the view on my iPad because I am going to block the parade for everyone, but you see it through my giant screen!"

However, these are extremely examples. Usually when I am at a parade, I get there 15 minutes or so beforehand and am fine. The last real parade we watched was at Star Wars Weekend. Everyone was so nice and cordial (it was super hot, so we were happy to find some shade!) and we spent time rearranging everyone so they could all see. We put all the strollers behind us, all the kids in the front, and then the adults staggered themselves, and we were all able to get a great view, no fighting, no hassle, and made new friends that we kept seeing all throughout the parks the rest of the day.
That's sort of true, I've never had these actual issues at a parade, I think in large part it is a product of this board. But, I don't shove my way up front, and I don't camp out for an hour before hand. I just roam the parade line, and if I see a spot, I may stay and watch. Personally, I like the decrease in ride lines during these times.

But the ipad thing - just how often should I expect to see these in front of me? I've been noticing this more and more lately just doing random things liek the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #92
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I've never thought about the ins and outs of watching a parade...

Is it rude to sit on the curb while waiting for 30 min and then stand just before the parade starts? Sort of falsely advertising the fact that you're a sitter?

I feel ridiculous writing this for what it's worth
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #93
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulds View Post
First of all to the lady in the scooter, we should have a thread of who and who shouldn't have scooters
Stay long enough and you will see one...or two...or ten.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #94
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

You know what's more fun? Sitting and having someone step on you or crowd in on you.

We try to sit most of the time, and try finding somewhere out of the way that won't have a lot of people around us.

But, the last time I was at Walt Disney World, both my children were marching in the 3PM parade at the Magic Kingdom. We did not sit. We found the perfect spot in the middle of the street at Hub with the castle in front of us where the parade turns towards Frontierland. We stood and took tons of pictures.

Sorry if we were in your way. Althoug we left as soon as our band went by.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #95
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86
I've never thought about the ins and outs of watching a parade...

Is it rude to sit on the curb while waiting for 30 min and then stand just before the parade starts? Sort of falsely advertising the fact that you're a sitter?

I feel ridiculous writing this for what it's worth
The OP seems to think so.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #96
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Oh, I don't think anyone is going to misunderstand what you meant. It is very clear. Incredibly xenophobic, but very clear.
No need for name calling. Especially when what they said is factual. We ate at a restraunt while at Disney and it was slow so I chatted with our waiter because he had grown up near where we live. I asked him about who tends to tip and who doesn't and he confirmed what this poster had said. He named the countries that has the worst offenders, I wasn't surprised because I have similar experiences at my business. FYI, Brazillians tend to tip well...I mention this because the BTGs tend to attract alot of heated posts here from time to time. He said that the folks who tend NOT to tip are the very ones who will work you to death. Right about the time he said this a waiter at the table next to us threw down the check wallet and said "thanks guys" real loud (the customers had already left and he was cleaning up the table). Because of the way we were seated my Wife had a clear view of the table the whole meal and she said the people had kept the poor guy running almost the entire time. They left NO tip.

As for line-cutting and impatient behavior: I've got a good friend who is from another country (not going to say which country because that isn't important and I don't want to start an internation incident ) and he said when he first moved to America that he was amazed at how patient Americans are. He said "you guys will stand patiently in line for an hour, that would NEVER happen where I come from". He said that in most countries if you allow any gap to appear between you and the person in front of you that someone will quickly barge in.

With that knowledge I'm not near as critical of some foreigner's behavior while at Disney because I now know that they don't necessarily know that their actions are rude....they are just doing what they are used to doing.

On a side note, while riding the monorail a man from China who could speak English only so-so asked me a question about how to get to the parking lot where the buses from non-Disney hotels do their pickups and I took my time explaining where to get off and where to go. He thanked me warmly and said "Americans are very nice and helpful people and he enjoyed being here".
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #97
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I agree. In fact I think it would be great if everyone sat during the castle show. The stage is elevated 6 feet or so, and there is no bad viewing spot, until the people in front stand, blocking everyones view. With the stage elevated so, standing doesn't improve the view. Maybe they stand because their legs are cramped, but I think it would be nicer if everyone stood while waiting and then sat during the show. However, the only person I can control is myself, and some days I do a poor job at that.
I don't understand why people sit at the castle shows. It's so elevated that everyone can see it standing. Plus it's hard to see sitting down and it hurts my neck looking up the whole time.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #98
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think it is the job of the international traveler to know the custom where they are going, not the other way around (expecting folks here to understand it is not their custom back home).
Absolutely, fully agree - but if you don't know what questions to ask you won't find out the answer. I knew it was custom to tip here, however I had absolutely no idea servers relied on it. I didn't realise there was minimum wage and then servers wage. To me, being British, a minimum wage means that every worker, no matter what sector, is paid no less than that, no exceptions.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #99
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codimouse View Post
I asked them politely to move. They said no.
I made my child sit in my lap
A woman from that same party tried to get in from of us. I kicked her. Sorry but I did.
She moved but she thought my chair was hers to lean on. RUDE!

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Good for you, Restless leg syndrome acting up huh?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #100
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeg99 View Post
That's sort of true, I've never had these actual issues at a parade, I think in large part it is a product of this board. But, I don't shove my way up front, and I don't camp out for an hour before hand. I just roam the parade line, and if I see a spot, I may stay and watch. Personally, I like the decrease in ride lines during these times.

But the ipad thing - just how often should I expect to see these in front of me? I've been noticing this more and more lately just doing random things liek the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.
We were there in October and it seemed like everyone had an iPad.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #101
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When Disney decides to provide seating via bleacher, benches or other means, I will sit to watch the parade or show. Until then, if I choose to watch the parade or show without any seating provided, I will stand. If I start standing and there is no one in front of me (meaning I am at the front), I will continue to stand.

More than likely, I will avoid the parades all together. Or show up as the parade it going by and stand at the back.

I don't know who started the sitting at parades in the first place. I hadn't seen that until recent years at WDW. Early years, no one sat unless there was a wall or chair there. Everyone stood. Mardi Gras parades, you don't sit, no matter how long you waited.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #102
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

I don't care if people choose to sit or stand during the parade they need to do what is best for them. I always get there early for good viewing and do what I can to make sure others around me can see too. I wish though that people would not sit the whole time waiting then stand up. This seems to happen a lot with the stage show and I find it rude. If I stand and wait somewhere its because I can see the stage and then after 45 minutes of waiting they stand up and I can't see. Then I'm left looking for a new spot which at that point isn't easy with 45 minutes of people accumulating.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #103
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynewbee View Post
I don't care if people choose to sit or stand during the parade they need to do what is best for them. I always get there early for good viewing and do what I can to make sure others around me can see too. I wish though that people would not sit the whole time waiting then stand up. This seems to happen a lot with the stage show and I find it rude. If I stand and wait somewhere its because I can see the stage and then after 45 minutes of waiting they stand up and I can't see. Then I'm left looking for a new spot which at that point isn't easy with 45 minutes of people accumulating.
I've got an idea. Why not ask the person sitting in front of you if they intend to stand when you first walk up, rather than assume they will sit through the show/parade?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #104
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post

Bottom line--you want a front row seat, get there early enough to secure one. You cannot dictate to others whether they can sit or stand.
That goes for anything, anywhere that's standing room only or general admission. We went to see Gotye in September 3 hours away. We had arrived there earlier than most and ended up being 2nd in line. When the doors opened we were lucky enough to nab a front row center spot (and he was like, 5 feet away from us!) and the entire time there were two girls behind my husband complaining how tall he was. It was very annoying.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #105
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill
When Disney decides to provide seating via bleacher, benches or other means, I will sit to watch the parade or show. Until then, if I choose to watch the parade or show without any seating provided, I will stand. If I start standing and there is no one in front of me (meaning I am at the front), I will continue to stand.

More than likely, I will avoid the parades all together. Or show up as the parade it going by and stand at the back.

I don't know who started the sitting at parades in the first place. I hadn't seen that until recent years at WDW. Early years, no one sat unless there was a wall or chair there. Everyone stood. Mardi Gras parades, you don't sit, no matter how long you waited.
I agree you should be able to sit or stand a you please.

We started going to dl in 1972, and wdw in 1976 and that was where we learned to plop down an hour early to watch the parades.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: