Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #76
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendimn View Post
I think I will be avoiding the parades when we go there in a few weeks. Guess I am in for a rude awakening..kinda thought most people would be nice and friendly in DW
I wouldn't go that far. Generally people are nice, there are just occasions that you get rude and entitled both ways. Some people pull the "I was here first and have every right to stand here despite being seven feet tall and blocking the view of five children!!!" and others who get their right at the time the parade starts and want to squeeze their kids into the spot right in front of you, (which is honestly not a big if its just one three foot tall kid)..and then "oh my kids are there, and I need to be with them!" and suddenly you can't see. And then my new favorite "I hope you like the view on my iPad because I am going to block the parade for everyone, but you see it through my giant screen!"

However, these are extremely examples. Usually when I am at a parade, I get there 15 minutes or so beforehand and am fine. The last real parade we watched was at Star Wars Weekend. Everyone was so nice and cordial (it was super hot, so we were happy to find some shade!) and we spent time rearranging everyone so they could all see. We put all the strollers behind us, all the kids in the front, and then the adults staggered themselves, and we were all able to get a great view, no fighting, no hassle, and made new friends that we kept seeing all throughout the parks the rest of the day.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #77
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendimn View Post
I think I will be avoiding the parades when we go there in a few weeks. Guess I am in for a rude awakening..kinda thought most people would be nice and friendly in DW
Most people are nice and friendly at WDW. However, there is a line between being nice and friendly, and putting your own family out to make someone else happy.

On most occasions you simply cannot walk up to the parade route and the last minute (or last 15 minutes) and expect a good view. Wanting an unobstructed view of the parade means sacrificing ride time. Each person has to decide for themselves and their family which is most important.

And if you plan on seeing the Christmas parade, be it at a party or when they start showing it all of the time, you will need to get a spot more than 30 minutes ahead of time. And that is if you are fine seeing it over in
Frontier Land. For an unobstructed view on Main Street think more like an hour or more. If there is a parade I really want to see, I will take a peek a couple of hours ahead of time and see if spots are filling up. I've held a spot for 90 minutes before. That was on the 3rd of July.
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #78
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapesGirl View Post
How fortunate we are when our biggest problem in life is whether to stand or sit for a parade!
Isn't that the truth

I was with my 5 yr old daughter at the Beauty and the Beast play at HS, we got there late and had to sit way over on the side. I was mentally grumbling to myself and feeling bad for my daughter for not having a better view.....I then saw a family with their daughter in a wheelchair, she was obviously in pretty bad shape, they were wearing blue shirts, I looked closer because there was a white logo on the shirts and saw "Make a Wish". I quit grumbling.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #79
Melodious
DIS Veteran

This is why we watch the parade from frontierland. We sit on the rock ledge in front of Pecos Bill. No one who comes later can stand in front of us because CMs will not let you stand there, all persons must be seated and bags must be off the ground.

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have told everybody that
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #80
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post

Don't get me wrong, Americans are not the most polite people, but we would likely be further up on a list than many who attend Disney.

all too often the most 'rude' participants at parades and those other moments I described are speaking a language other than English.

Again, don't get me wrong
, language is not the issue. But some cultures are simply more or less courteous than others.
Don't worry, we're not getting you wrong.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #81
MikeOhio
Mouseketeer

Wow, entitled much? if I have to wait an extra hour to get a front row spot while you take that extra time enjoying rides than I will stand if I want. Many people are not comfortable sitting on cement or have medical issues with their knees. I personally always sit for my own confort but if somones wants to stand good for them.

How is it "nice" to want everyone to conform to what is best for you? The nice thing is to not attack people on the internet because you thought they were rude when in fact you are the rude one.

Last edited by MikeOhio; 11-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #82
dmdelight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFL View Post
Isn't that the truth

I was with my 5 yr old daughter at the Beauty and the Beast play at HS, we got there late and had to sit way over on the side. I was mentally grumbling to myself and feeling bad for my daughter for not having a better view.....I then saw a family with their daughter in a wheelchair, she was obviously in pretty bad shape, they were wearing blue shirts, I looked closer because there was a white logo on the shirts and saw "Make a Wish". I quit grumbling.
i think we're all a little guilty of this at times, and sometimes need reminders to count our blessings.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #83
rani8600
Mouseketeer

I was at the Halloween party in Oct 2011 and had a situation with the whole sitting verse standing thing. It was the last villain show of the night and having gotten most of the things that we wanted to do finished we headed to the show a little early so that we could get a good place so that I could take pictures (wanted to get some shots with the smoke effect). We get there about 20 minutes before the show and were standing there talking. More families were coming and we had a family that came in and sat down behind us. About 5 minutes before the show that mom turned to us and is a nasty voice said “You are going to sit down when the show starts, right?” I ,very nicely I might add, said that I was planning on standing for the show so I could take pictures. I mean who stands for the 20 minutes before the show then sits for it once it starts. Well she just started telling me off about how rude that was and her kids weren’t going to be able to see.

Now I got there early and not only did I want to take pictures, but the ground was hard, dirty and COLD (i was also in a skirt..not really short, but sit). She was so mean I ended up sitting down because I didn’t want to start a scene and end the night on a bad note. Needless to say I didn’t get any of my pictures and could barely see the show….

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #84
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

It always amazes me how it all comes to "once in a life time trips" and "hidden medical conditions". It is just a parade, nobody needs to know why this and why that. Simply get there early if it is so important or just take what you get and do not expect people to bend out of shape to make it better for you. Yes they were there before and yes they can sit or stand, just because they want to without explaining themselves or justifying their choices.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #85
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I don't really get the parades or the need to be right in front for them.

But last week I saw a lady with blankets covering a spot big enough for about 10 people laying on the curb in part of the hub along the parade route a good 2 hours before the parade. Looked like she was reading a book or something. I assume it was a mommom or something saving a spot while the family toured. I hadn't seen this before at WDW.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #86
dmdelight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I don't really get the parades or the need to be right in front for them.

But last week I saw a lady with blankets covering a spot big enough for about 10 people laying on the curb in part of the hub along the parade route a good 2 hours before the parade. Looked like she was reading a book or something. I assume it was a mommom or something saving a spot while the family toured. I hadn't seen this before at WDW.

i'm with you on this.

on our last day at mk, we left just around 12.30pm, there were 2 women, sat apart on the kerb, each with one sneaker tied from their feet and stretched out the length of the unfastened laces-it was quite a sight.

but hey, each to their own, i always think whatever someone wants to do is up to them, as long as no one else is hurt in any way.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #87
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

At 5 months pregnant, I was not going to sit or kneel on the gorund so a late-comer could see. And my husband has an artificial hip so he is really uncomfortable getting on the ground. We stood right behind our son's stroller. If someone came up behind us as the parade started, I would not have felt any compulsion to make myself incredibly uncomfortable in order for them to get a better view. Sorry if that makes me a rotten person with a black heart.

DS1 & DS2 (and DH, of course) 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Possibly again in January 2015????
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #88
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
It always amazes me how it all comes to "once in a life time trips" and "hidden medical conditions". It is just a parade, nobody needs to know why this and why that. Simply get there early if it is so important or just take what you get and do not expect people to bend out of shape to make it better for you. Yes they were there before and yes they can sit or stand, just because they want to without explaining themselves or justifying their choices.
Thank you!

I stand because I want to, not because I cant sit.. If you want to be in front of me, get there before me.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #89
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
The people from some places (and often countries) are simply less courteous than others.

These folks seemingly have no trouble cutting lines, leaving bags to 'reserve' places at shows, taking flash photos, and/or talking during performances.

These are often the same people who cause gratuity problems in restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, Americans are not the most polite people, but we would likely be further up on a list than many who attend Disney.

And I have to agree with the initial blogger and comment that prompted my response - all too often the most 'rude' participants at parades and those other moments I described are speaking a language other than English.

Again, don't get me wrong, language is not the issue. But some cultures are simply more or less courteous than others.
Oh, I don't think anyone is going to misunderstand what you meant. It is very clear. Incredibly xenophobic, but very clear.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #90
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I suppose an adult who is in front has "the right" to stand...but it does seem incredibly selfish, not to mention childish, to stand and not let a kid behind you get in front of you.

If you're going to stand, anyway, what is the harm in letting someone sit down in front of you? Or just let the kid behind you stand in front of you?

I don't get the mindset of someone who wants to stand, but must be in front. You have the right, of course. It seems more than a little petulant, though.
Fantasmic sucks.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: