Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
MerissaAndMomLoveDis
Mouseketeer

Got Food Poisoning at Yak and Yeti Counterservice Sat 11-24

On the last day of our trip (Saturday 11-24), we went to Animal Kingdom for a few hours before we headed back home. My daughter and I shared a Honey Chicken and Egg Roll from Yak and Yeti's Local Foods Counterservice. Almost exactly 4 hours later, we started throwing up. The only foods we ate that day were purchased at Animal Kingdom except for a prepackaged granola bar and a package of Cheese Nips much earlier in the day, so I feel pretty sure that is where it came from. We had already started the road trip back to Texas when the food poisoning kicked in, making a 18 hour car ride turn into the 30 hour car ride from h*ll. We were pretty sick until Monday.

Just curious whether anyone else got food poisoning at Yak and Yeti counterservice that day???
Disneyworld: Offsite Feb 2003, Feb 2004, June 2006 & Aug 2007; ASMu Nov 2008; Pop Century/Offsite/AKL May/June 2009; AsMu/Ft. Wilderness Cabins Nov 2009; Pop/ASSp June 2010; ASMov/Offsite May/June 2011; POFQ/Disney Dream March 2012; Offsite Nov 2012; Disney Magic from Galveston May 2013
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerissaAndMomLoveDis View Post
On the last day of our trip (Saturday 11-24), we went to Animal Kingdom for a few hours before we headed back home. My daughter and I shared a Honey Chicken and Egg Roll from Yak and Yeti's Local Foods Counterservice. Almost exactly 4 hours later, we started throwing up. The only foods we ate that day were purchased at Animal Kingdom except for a prepackaged granola bar and a package of Cheese Nips much earlier in the day, so I feel pretty sure that is where it came from. We had already started the road trip back to Texas when the food poisoning kicked in, making a 18 hour car ride turn into the 30 hour car ride from h*ll. We were pretty sick until Monday.

Just curious whether anyone else got food poisoning at Yak and Yeti counterservice that day???

No, but I was at AK that day and ended up very sick. We didn't eat in the park at all. We had an ADR that evening in another location, but had to cancel. Yours may not have been food poisoning either since I was also sick but didn't eat in the park.

Last edited by mfd25wife; 12-02-2012 at 03:52 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Sorry for your illness. As PP stated, there is a possibility it is not food related.

One time my DH was convinced he had food poisoning from a turkey burger... only I got sick too and I was a vegetarian. Hid doc ran a stool sample and it was not food poisoning. It sure was a miserable illness though!

Also, a word of advice...people on this board get ruffled up when you claim food poisoning from Disney especially with no medical tests.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerissaAndMomLoveDis View Post

How would you possibly know where it's from? it can take up to 72 hours for symptoms to materialize. It's very difficult to know where you got it. It could have been from anything you ate over the last 3 days. Also, it may or not have been a food borne transmission of whatever virus or bacteria you got.

This response has nothing to do with some kind of defense of disney. Just that people are so misinformed about food borne illness. It's really too bad.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

I agree that food borne illness is complicated to identify, but it is reasonable of the OP to ask if anyone had same experience. While not highly diagnostic, if I had been similarly ill, I would be curious about experiences of others too. If dozens of DIS posters responded: "me too, ate same thing, had similar experience" I would find that of interest.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Yes--we DO get ruffled up!!

Painting a restaurant as one where you were "poisoned" is a serious charge to level w/o some sort of medical tests and verification.

Or, as HelenParr suggests, other reported cases from the same restaurant at around the same time.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
I agree that food borne illness is complicated to identify, but it is reasonable of the OP to ask if anyone had same experience. While not highly diagnostic, if I had been similarly ill, I would be curious about experiences of others too. If dozens of DIS posters responded: "me too, ate same thing, had similar experience" I would find that of interest.
it would make MUCH more sense to list out the places and items eaten over the previous 3 days or so and ask if there was overlap to other food poisoning incidents. why assume it is y&y with little basis?

and, even then, given the enormous volume of traffic at these places, the likelihood of identifying a trend or pinpointing the source of an outbreak on a message board is tiny.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Yeah,we've had stuff like this happen over the years at WDW...but it's almost impossible to prove it.....the reality is it could very well be food poisoning....or it could be some other bug that coincided with that timing. (FWIW,I'm positive food poisoning has happened a couple of times, but no proof)
not much can be done about it......
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
How would you possibly know where it's from? it can take up to 72 hours for symptoms to materialize. It's very difficult to know where you got it. It could have been from anything you ate over the last 3 days. Also, it may or not have been a food borne transmission of whatever virus or bacteria you got.

This response has nothing to do with some kind of defense of disney. Just that people are so misinformed about food borne illness. It's really too bad.
I agree with this!!! Food poisoning does not have to come from the last meal you ate. It really could have been a variety of factors as well as one of multiple meals consumed that are the cause of your sickness. Without any proof, it is really unfair to throw out the words 'food poisoning' and a restaurant's name...just my humble opinion.

I am really sorry that you got so sick though! That is never fun

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

No flames I just noticed you said it was the last day of your trip. We arrived 11/18 and departed 11/26. I really think you may hav picked up a bug. I got sick 11/20-21 and again 11/24 around 3:00-4:00 pm. We were going to go to DHS on 11/24, but I went back to the room and let them go on. AK got incredibly busy that day, which made for a terrible place to be sick. We can compare restaurants or parks if you are interested, but I do think it was just the germs of thousands of people.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
owl0306
Mouseketeer

you needed to google food poisoning before this ridiculous post
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

What have you had the last two days? I doubt you had food poisoning from your lunch.

You probably got a stomach bug, there's plenty going around this time of year!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
What have you had the last two days? I doubt you had food poisoning from your lunch.

You probably got a stomach bug, there's plenty going around this time of year!
not sure what definition of food poisoning you are using. i think typically, people use that term to refer to food borne illness. food is a common transmission mechanism for stomach bugs (not the only mechanism, but a common one).

it is very possible that the op picked up a viral or bacterial infection through food transmission. pinpointing how, when, and why that happened would be extremely difficult.

people talk about "food poisoning" as it if it means something specific. quite the opposite.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
MerissaAndMomLoveDis
Mouseketeer

O.P. here. To answer some of your questions... Yes, we were diagnosed with food poisoning by a medical professional. Yes, I know that it is not truly possible to 100% know for sure where it came from, but after listing all we had eaten and when, the Nurse identified the honey chicken/egg roll as the top contender, most likely. No, it was not the last thing we ate that day--we also shared a BBQ pork sandwich and grapes from Flame Tree right before we left the park. I was trying to see if anyone else had a similar experience before I decided whether to contact Disney so that they could investigate--I am really busy trying to catch up at work and don't really have time to figure out how to go about that, but my sweet Disney-loving daughter asked me to post this on "the Dis" so that maybe we could help others. I do not want anything, was just trying to get more information and possibly help others.

I rarely post on the Dis, but my 11 year old and I read very often, usually daily or every other day, and we have been helped so much and learned so much from all of you, for which I am grateful. If I remember correctly, this is the first time I have started a thread. I should have known better. It makes me heartsick that my sweet loving daughter's thought to help others lead to some of you speaking so harshly and ridicule and others doing the "popcorn" sign as you waited for the thrashing to begin. Despite what you Disboard medical experts out there have posted on this thread, I do believe my daughter and I did get "food poisoning" from Animal Kingdom on Saturday 11-24. I have learned my lesson. I will not post on this thread again.
Disneyworld: Offsite Feb 2003, Feb 2004, June 2006 & Aug 2007; ASMu Nov 2008; Pop Century/Offsite/AKL May/June 2009; AsMu/Ft. Wilderness Cabins Nov 2009; Pop/ASSp June 2010; ASMov/Offsite May/June 2011; POFQ/Disney Dream March 2012; Offsite Nov 2012; Disney Magic from Galveston May 2013
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: