Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal
 
NEVERENOUGHWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...
Posts: 26,986

Ohana's Speeding!!!

Last year we were a party of 11 with a GF specialty cake at dessert and it was great!

We went Friday night and were a party of 7. The food came so quick our heads spun!!!!!!
Before the dinner plates were gone the specialty cake came. I'm guessing we were just on an off night but it was crazy.

I just cancelled our reservation for December and next fall we will pass.
__________________
Miracles happen every day.


What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Ro Z
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salisbury, MA
Posts: 2,551

Our last meal at 'Ohana was sooooooooooo slow and we almost had to beg for food! We sat for long periods of time with empty plates. We were there from 8:30-10:10. OMG a nightmare. It was DH first time and I had hyped it up so much and then THIS!
Ro Z is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts
 
xipotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,380

At our last breakfast we felt a bit rushed actually.

Maybe they were swamped?
__________________
11/2013 POLY Confirmed!
11/2012 POLY! CONFIRMED!
12/2010 Polynesian
Before that too many to list
!


SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran
 
wdw4rfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 2,084

We were there in March and it was on the slow side...may have just been an off night. The food is so good there, that I would NEVER skip it. As a matter of fact, we tried to book a last minute October trip, and decided against it because there were no Ohana Adr's!!!
__________________


2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
AceDodger
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 33

OK. Just trying to understand the issue of the original poster. What went wrong? Were you not happy that the service was so quick? Just wondering. Thanks.
AceDodger is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

I read posts like these and I wonder what is wrong. We have eaten at 'Ohanas every trip, and have never had any issues like I read about that others have.

Are here now and have ressies for 'Ohana wed. 12/5 - can't wait
North of Mouse is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
PACVII
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 110

too fast

we had recently been there and dinner was served so fast we did not have time to enjoy the salad. Just trying to enjoy my dinner and it was over. Good thing I had a pineapple drink to slow things down a bit.
PACVII is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!
 
*Flower*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,003

So what happens if you tell the server to slow it down a bit or pace the delivery better? Will they forget about your table and not serve you at all?

Just curious- we've never booked O'hana, but these scary incidents are keeping me from trying to book it.
__________________
*Flower* is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran
 
sweeteypie1118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 875

OMG...I ate here last week and this was what I was going to say in my dining report! It was like speed dating, only with food. I called it a drive by meating!! This was our first time there. I was so looking forward to this meal and I did not enjoy it at all. I was enjoying my salad, then boom, out come the apps. Ok, no problem. The chicken wings were already cold by the way. Literally, not 2 minutes after the apps come, the drive by meating started and big hunks of meat were being piled on top of my poor salad. It made me cranky! DH and son were fine with it though
__________________


This time...Port Orleans French Quarter

Ressies at Liberty Tree, Narcoossees, Tusker House Breakfast, Yak&Yeti, 50's Prime Time, HOB Gospel Brunch, Rose & Crown, Crystal Palace Breakfast, California Grill, San Angel Inn, Biergarten, Dine w/ Imagineer Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Kona Cafe,TT Dessert Party
sweeteypie1118 is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
So what happens if you tell the server to slow it down a bit or pace the delivery better? Will they forget about your table and not serve you at all?

Just curious- we've never booked O'hana, but these scary incidents are keeping me from trying to book it.
We had a speed-eating experience and it was really bizarre. The server tried desperately to rearrange the appetizer platters (which we weren't even half finished with), so that he could make room for the main dish plates. I stopped him and told him that it would be much better for us, and a lot easier for him, if he allowed us to finish our first course before he tried to serve us the second course. He looked at me like I was crazy. As if it was odd that we wouldn't want all of our food served at the same time, 10 minutes after sitting down. The rest of the meal was very awkward and the pacing never recovered. The server clearly had not been instructed on the concept of "coursing". They must think that every diner prefers a sit-down buffet style meal where your plate overflows with 6 different foods at once. I'm clearly in the minority, but I disliked Ohana immensely.
JimmyV is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran
 
KrazeeK120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,095

I think it is a matter of taste. This is one of the things I enjoy about 'Ohana. I like that they start bringing food immediately (and never stop...ha!). I've been there twice and wish that I could go on my upcoming trip, but we're going "on a budget" and booked the Stay, Play, and Dine deal which includes the Quick Service plan.
__________________
Me DH
'95 Offsite, '07 POFQ (Disneymoon!), '09 YC, '12 CR, '13 Pop, '14 BWI
KrazeeK120 is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal
 
NEVERENOUGHWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...
Posts: 26,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
I read posts like these and I wonder what is wrong. We have eaten at 'Ohanas every trip, and have never had any issues like I read about that others have.

Are here now and have ressies for 'Ohana wed. 12/5 - can't wait
That was the next night we were supposed to be there!!!!!
I cancelled but hope you come back with a great report
__________________
Miracles happen every day.


What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran
 
jerseygirl81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vernon, New Jersey
Posts: 892

We enjoyed the food at ohana's on our trip in August. We had a 5pm ADR the waiting area was crowded. The food started coming right away we got bread but didn't get butter till 1/2 through the meal. The place was packed the servers were all over passing out food, the food was coming so fast that we felt rushed. We didn't even talk during the meal we just kept eating. Although we enjoyed the food and love the poly we won't be returning there next trip. I can see the attraction to this restaurant but our boys are older and we didn't care for the coconut races and the lady who did a lot of talking and singing. We enjoyed Konas much more and will go back next trip great food and more relaxing, but I know for others it's a must do. Linda
__________________
AS Sports Nov 03 & 04
Pop April & Sept/Oct 05
CSR Aug 07 & 08
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
jerseygirl81 is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We had a speed-eating experience and it was really bizarre. The server tried desperately to rearrange the appetizer platters (which we weren't even half finished with), so that he could make room for the main dish plates. I stopped him and told him that it would be much better for us, and a lot easier for him, if he allowed us to finish our first course before he tried to serve us the second course. He looked at me like I was crazy. As if it was odd that we wouldn't want all of our food served at the same time, 10 minutes after sitting down. The rest of the meal was very awkward and the pacing never recovered. The server clearly had not been instructed on the concept of "coursing". They must think that every diner prefers a sit-down buffet style meal where your plate overflows with 6 different foods at once. I'm clearly in the minority, but I disliked Ohana immensely.
Agree! The pacing at 'Ohana is terrible. Can't stand that place.
__________________
Go Duke!
freshmanjs is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts
 
xipotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,380

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl81
We enjoyed the food at ohana's on our trip in August. We had a 5pm ADR the waiting area was crowded. The food started coming right away we got bread but didn't get butter till 1/2 through the meal. The place was packed the servers were all over passing out food, the food was coming so fast that we felt rushed. We didn't even talk during the meal we just kept eating. Although we enjoyed the food and love the poly we won't be returning there next trip. I can see the attraction to this restaurant but our boys are older and we didn't care for the coconut races and the lady who did a lot of talking and singing. We enjoyed Konas much more and will go back next trip great food and more relaxing, but I know for others it's a must do. Linda
+ 1 for Konas over Ohana's. But not everyone can know this or Kona's will get busy
__________________
11/2013 POLY Confirmed!
11/2012 POLY! CONFIRMED!
12/2010 Polynesian
Before that too many to list
!


SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.