Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
aml3679
Kita's Mom

Wilderness Lodge Resort ... Ruined Surprise

We are going to Disney World next December for 12 nights. We originally booked POFQ. Since we are both in our 50's and have high stress careers, we want a few days to relax at our resort. My husband seemed a little surprised that POFQ was a little like a motel (a very nice one). When we went to Disneyland 4 years ago, we both fell in love with the Grand California which is similar to Wilderness Lodge. I decided to surprise my husband for our 28th anniversary. He usually looks at vacation planning in the last month. He went on Dreams Unlimited and saw the change when he was home sick on Monday. I am a bit bummed but he was happy. Now, I need to try something else.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Ambassador
DIS Veteran

How about booking great seats for Hoop Dee Doo Revue dinner? You can take a boat over to FW. He would have no idea, and you will love the show.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

AKL Savannah View. Nothing like it! And after a hectic day at the parks, it really is like stepping into another world!

Ps - posting via the iPhone app, if your sig says you've already tried AKL, never mind
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
DeanDoug
Mouseketeer

I agree with AKL- LOVE it. But given your taste, Grand Floridian? Or even Saratoga Springs?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
cwt580
DIS Veteran

take him over to disneyworld speedway and drive an exotic car on the race track. or even drive a nascar stockcar.........not far from Wilderness lodge

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well, he got surprised a year early! If he loves the idea, please don't surprise hey taking that away from him.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Did you book a regular room or CL??? If not, I highly suggest the CL at WL...it is pure
You could even get a honeymoon suite if one is available!
That would be both a surprise and super romantic....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
aml3679
Kita's Mom

Thank you for all of the suggestions - we will keep Wilderness Lodge - I will think about all of the wonderful ideas.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Ambassador
DIS Veteran

We love WL too. You might look into CL cost; it may well be worth it for you.

Otherwise, make a room request. Do you want to see MK fireworks? Do you want to see EWP and view of lake? Or quieter view toward quiet pool and DCV?

Do check out the Lounge in the DVC which is very nice, private and decorated with some Disney history. Dinner at Artist Point is good. If the renovation is done, take the boat over to CR and have dinner at CA Grille.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
PJ
Mouseketeer

I'd definitely stick with WL - especially if you liked Grand California. We only walked around it in DL, and our reaction was the same as yours - very similar ambience to WL.

Just a couple of comments on Honeymoon Suites - we did one at WL for our 25th wedding anniversary. One downside was that the room decor was a lot more spartan than we expected. We still loved it, we just had different expectations. (This was also 13 years ago - they may have changed since then!)

On the BIG plus side, the suites are situated so the balconies almost seem private. Ours was overlooking mostly trees, and were surprised with a dead-on view of the fireworks over MK - looked like they had been put on just for us.

Just for perspective, we've done 30+ WDW trips and besides WL we've stayed at POR, POFQ, CB, AKL and at Fort Wilderness about 20+ times in everything from a tent in 1980 to the 43 foot motor home we live in now. (and is here this week at FW!)

With stressful jobs and what you describe as your tastes, I think WL is a great fit - I wouldn't change to another. And have a great trip!!!
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: