Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
disney's daughter
DIS Veteran

Question So Many Questions!

I planned several months ago to take my 4 1/2 year old granddaughter to Disney world in January.....made the plane reservations....reservations for Pop Century....and for lunch at Cinderella's Castle. My sister was meeting us at MCO airport.

Now for my problem. I recently had major foot surgery (five toes amputated)..I know it will take me a while to get used to my situation...but I have accepted it and am ready to move on. If the doctor gives the OK...I would really like to continue with our Disney plans...if possible. My granddaughter already has her Cinderella dress to wear to the Castle.

OK....How would I go through security with a small child? I would have to be in a wheel chair, myself. I would also have a surgical boot on....Would I have to take that off? Once we get to the Orlando airport...I would also ask for a wheel chair all the way to the baggage carrier....where we would meet our driver.....Would it be possible for my granddaughter to sit on my lap...or if not....What would we do? If there is no provision for her, I would not be able to go on the trip.
disney's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
bearloch
DIS Veteran

not sure about any of this except that I would think Grandaughter could for sure walk right next to you! she would no be allowed on lap at all at disney I know but not sure about airport!!
Good Luck!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I would just keep the child with you thru security. Can you walk at all with the boot on? If so you may be able to walk thru the regular scanners or the body scanner. You shouldn't have to take the boot off.

If they make you have to do the pat down, then maybe they can send your Granddaughter thru the other way first before they pull you aside, while she is in your constant view. Then the TSA agents could send her close to you so you could get checked. They should be able to do this and watch you things or put your things and Granddaughter in a place where you can watch everything at all times. It should be doable.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
disney's daughter
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your information........I am worried that whomever pushes my wheel chair would go too fast in the Orlando airport for my granddaughter to keep up. I figured she wouldn't be able to go on my lap on the scooter at Disney....My sister would be there to hold her hand.....I wonder if there would be a way to tip two people to transport both of us in the airport.....I think I might try calling Air Tran and start there.....
disney's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

I was recently in the Orlando airport and I saw a skycap pushing a wheelchair with a woman and there was a small child holding on to the arm of the chair. The skycap was going at the child's pace and was talking with her and keeping her focused on moving with them. He also helped with taking them thru the security line. He actually got another skycap to put the woman in the chair thru, waited with the child until she was thru and then sent the child through the scanner to meet up with her. It was amazing how thoughtful that man was.
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney's daughter View Post
Thank you for your information........I am worried that whomever pushes my wheel chair would go too fast in the Orlando airport for my granddaughter to keep up. I figured she wouldn't be able to go on my lap on the scooter at Disney....My sister would be there to hold her hand.....I wonder if there would be a way to tip two people to transport both of us in the airport.....I think I might try calling Air Tran and start there.....
I had an episode about 8 years ago where i tore up my knee about two days before I had to fly home from VA. Not only was I on crutches, but I had my mentally handicapped son, Christian, with me. Yike! I really didn't know how i was going to manage. Fortunately, a nice skycap saw me and came running with a w/c. He put my son(then 9ys old) on my lap and he pushed us through the airport. The flight attendents allowed me to be seated first and helped me with getting Christian to his seat. At the end of the flight, the Air Tran employee met me at the gate with another w/c and we did the whole thing over again. They never even batted an eye about it.

I can't guarantee that your experience will be the same, but I was really surprised at how people came out of the woodwork to help me. Talk to Air Tran and see what they can do for you.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Think about talking to your dr about renting a wheelchair or scooter at home and bringing it with you- insurance may well pay for it.

Have you arranged for a wheelchair or ECV for the parks? You will not want to walk all day in a boot.

Please note you cannot have a child in your lap in an ECV for safety reasons.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: