Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
klstiger
Mouseketeer

Disney Credit Card Question

We are looking to book a trip to Disney for the end of 2013. Do you think it is beneficial to get a Disney credit card? Do card members get savings like discounts for packages or dining plan? From what I gather, there is no annual fee... I would only use for additional discounts for the trip and really would not use... or periodically to keep active...
Thoughts?

Kristy
klstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

You do get discounts by spending over $50. You also get free photo opportunities in Epcot.

You also get a $50 disney gift card after your first purchase.

The rewards aren't great (1%), but with no annual fees and paying it off each month we always end up saving a few hundred dollars on each trip and it doesn't end up costing us anything.

So, free stuff and discounts at no cost. Yep, it's worth it to us.

If you put the entire disny trip on the disney card, that in itself would gain you around $25-$30 in reward dollars. Put another $1,000 a month on the card for monthly groceries, bills, etc. and you'll have somewhere around $175 in reward dollars by the time you leave.
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
bryon
I want to work at Disney...But do my own thing.

We use the reward points and end up getting enough to pay for our meals every vacation. Love not having to pay for meals!

This is our primary credit card we use though. Just using it once in a while would not give you enough reward points.

As previous poster also mentioned ..... their is a private character meet in greet at Epcot where only Disney Visa members can go. When you go, you get a certificate for one free picture you can use that day.
bryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
klstiger
Mouseketeer

Have you experienced possible free dining plan or discount on your vacation package bc you were a disney card holder?

I like your team choice! (LSU FAN 4444)

Kristy
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Dan Murphy
We are family.

They do have $100 and $200 sign up offers generally. Look online. Also 20% discount on WDW tours.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
GoHerbie
Mouseketeer

Other benefits are that you can take 6 months at 0% to pay off your trip, just be disciplined to make sure it's paid off by the deadline or you'll have lots of interest.

Also, free dining is sometimes announced for credit card holders a day or two before the offer is available to the general public.

GoHerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klstiger View Post
Have you experienced possible free dining plan or discount on your vacation package bc you were a disney card holder?

I like your team choice! (LSU FAN 4444)

The public discounts are usually offered 5-6 days prior to it becoming open to the public. This past winter discount was released on a Thursday and it become public the following Wednesday. I was able to book 35% off at AKV for January early.

We went to Disney Dec of 2011 and had around $156 in rewards dollars. we are going January of 2013 and we will have over $200. Knowing we were going back I charged quite a bit, plus I bought Disney gift cards at our grocery store to get gas points with our Disney gift card to pay off our trip. If you are going to go a lot it can be worth it. Especially if you charge a lot prior to your trip.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
MDChris
Ready for Vacation!

If you frequently go to WDW then I would recommend looking in to it. We upgraded to the Premier Disney Visa this year as they were running a promotion of up to 5% cash back/points depending on the purchase. We upgraded in August and we will have our spending money covered for our upcoming trip. Just pay off the balance each month!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

They used to do free dining offers for card members, but since I ahve been a card member I have not seen anything offered to me that was not offered to the general public.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
They used to do free dining offers for card members, but since I ahve been a card member I have not seen anything offered to me that was not offered to the general public.
They still offer the Visa deals to the general public, just a few days later. Visa card holders get it in advance.

The S/P/D and room deals were offered 4 or 5 days early for Visa card holders - still a nice perk since rooms go quickly.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

I do not use the card to get advance discounts or promotions - but I love to use the reward $$ for Disney stuff as it makes me feel like I'm getting something for free.

I've eaten at Victoria & Alberts and booked a Disney 4 Night Cruise - both were paid for entirely by my points.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

We use it monthly to purchase all of our regular expenses & pay it off at the end of the month. It adds up over time & since we use it as a 'forgotten' savings account for Disney, it always helps us pay toward tix & ressies.

I upgraded to the Premier & despite the $49 annual fee, the extra rewards I earn on gas/groceries etc has made it very worth while & paid for the annual fee in less than 1 month's time.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
klstiger
Mouseketeer

Being that I chose the card without the annual fee, I went ahead and got it. It cant hurt being that I will not really use it, just want to keep active....Now I just hope to get vacation package discounts...
Said it would arrive in 7-9 days...

Kristy
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klstiger View Post
We are looking to book a trip to Disney for the end of 2013. Do you think it is beneficial to get a Disney credit card? Do card members get savings like discounts for packages or dining plan? From what I gather, there is no annual fee... I would only use for additional discounts for the trip and really would not use... or periodically to keep active...
Thoughts?
As said earlier, you get a 10% discount on line or at Disney for purchases over $50. Ask the cashiers and they will confirm for that specific store. Most are part of the discount.

At Epcot, you get the free meet and greet and picture. This is in the Innovations building. You get time alone with 2 or 3 of the main character...Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald...It depends on the day. You get to spend a lot more time with them as it is not hurry up and get to the next person in line. And you get a free photo of your choice.

You get to go into the new Chase lounge in EPCOT. Relax and have a free soda/water if you get tired.

The points will add up if you use the card for most purchases and pay it off at the end of the month. One of the benefits of the Premier card is that you can use your points to pay for flights. You can't use them for flights with the basic card. We are planning to go back in 2014. I plan to have enough points to have a completely free vacation by then.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
You get to go into the new Chase lounge in EPCOT. Relax and have a free soda/water if you get tired.
Did they extend this lounge? I thought it was originally only going to be during the Food & Wine Festival.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: