Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
AnnaNonamus
Mouseketeer

Wink Planning an Epic Adventure

Let me preface this by saying I wish I had figured out photos first. But, that will come (eventually) right?

So I suppose I should start off with the cast of our trip.

First up is me, the obsessive Disney Mom, who has been trying hard to make a family vacation happen. I'm a Girl Scout leader, and I volunteer at my youngest daughter's school as well. Most of the time, I'm an Insomniac arthritic stay at home mom.

I'm nearing 35- buy my kids are trained to say 21. Seriously. It's only awkward some of the time. I have been to Disney twice. The first time, I was 17, and got accepted with my Dance group as part of Magic Music Days. We performed on the stage at DTD. It was epic. And, it was a lifetime of memories I will never forget- I mean, I was 17, and I was at Disney for the first time ever, and NO PARENTS!!!

My next visit was 17 years later (give or take a few months)- my best friend had a trip planned for her family- herself, her husband, and their kids. Only, her husband had other plans, and flaked out. Her son is special needs, and even with 2 of us there, it was a lot keeping up with both kids. I am glad I went to help her- and there certainly wasn't a downside to being back to Disney!

Next up is DD- Raegan is almost 17. She has never been to Disney. I know, right?? The whole point of this trip, is that none of my kids have ever gone. She is nearly as obsessed with all things Disney as I am. She and I? We're clones. Most of the time, I get odd looks when she calls me mom- we look more like sisters.

Raegan will be a senior when we finally go- and this photog mom has lots of plans for Senior portraits while we're down there!

Last up is Younger DD- she is 11, and Autistic. She is a challenge, but in a lot of ways, she is the light of my days. She is the reason I help at the school (it helps to be a visible person IN the classroom when you know your child is going to be getting phone calls home) and the reason I am now a Girl Scout leader. (Did I mention yet that I LOVE being a leader?).

Now for those who are not coming-

Darling Husband is not coming- the main reason is that our DS is not coming, but on top of that, DH is a manager of a large department, and he has a difficult time getting more than 2 days in a row off- forget about a week. He would probably LOVE going to Disney, but he also feels like if we wait until he can go, it won't happen.

My biggest hope is to go down one year- just him and I, and celebrate our anniversary.

Last up- DS. He is anti-Disney. I know, right?? It isn't that he's out and out against it. But, he's a 14 yo Autistic boy who thinks that Disney is a waste of money. Seriously- I have had that lecture from him before. He's even had the chance to go once, and stopped at DTD and called it good.

He has a fear of flying. He has a fear of long car rides. He is really bad in crowds. He can't stand loud noises. He just was not made for Disney.

I wish we were going as a family, but I'm working with what I have- which are 2 Disney obsessed girls.

The Plan:

7 Days, 6 Nights at Port Orleans Riverside in a Royal Guest Room. My girls are out of the Princess age, but I sure as heck am not! Besides, I have a feeling my 11yo is going to LOVE those headboards at night.

Early flight in, late flight out- 6 days of Disney! My father in law lives about an hour away. My goal is to spend a night at the end of the vacation with him, and see the ocean.

The Dates:

October 20th-26th, but of course, like all well laid plans, that may change. I am adamant that we will either be there for MNSSHP, or MVMCP. I know my girls would prefer Halloween, so honestly, I'd prefer that for them.

Possible Changes:

I have a friend whose family wants to go down at the same time. She has 3 kids who are all younger than mine (3-9 at the time). The tentative plan is that she and her kids, me and my kids, will drive down in her van from Michigan to Orlando in 2 days. Meanwhile, her husband will have to work, so he'll fly down and skip having to take an extra 4 days off by driving.

This is the main reason we have Port Orleans Riverside booked- she can fit all 5 of them in 1 room. Tightly. While I would love for her to go, I am also nervous about spending 2 days in a car with 5 kids ranging from 3-17, with 1 autistic child tossed in the mix.

I first started realistically planning a trip to Disney in 2008. I had a decent amount of money set aside, when my husband and I had started talking. We had just relocated from a small town where we had rented houses continuously to the state capital, where we rented an apartment. We hated the apartment. So, Disney turned into a house. It was without all of the magic of Bippity Boppity Boo.

The next time I started was Feb 2012 after I got home from a Disney trip with my friend and her kids. I figured it would put me off for a bit. No, not even remotely close. If anything, it made me more desperate to go.

But, a broken down car, a car engine blowing up, and a new fridge all nixed that. Not to mention that with 3 kids over the age of 10, Disney was a lot more expensive than I had hoped. All those great commercials with the low rates? They are always based on a family of 4.

So last Summer, I stopped trying again, and comforted myself with a vacation to Mackinac Island, instead. LOVE that place, but it is NOT Disney.

And here we are- my trip is already booked. I decided at the start of the year that I. Was. Going. To. Go.

I've saved up quite a bit, and unlike the past few times, every time I hit $200, I make a payment. No waiting to book- the trip is booked, and has had payments made.

It's totally real this time.

I hope.
CBR - 10/20/13-10/28/13 - Free Dining Girls Trip!
AnnaNonamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
happybelle
DIS Veteran

I hope you get there. So many are in the same boat.
happybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: