Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Bronte
DIS Veteran

What A Trip !!!! Long Report

It was a short trip but a WONDERFUL one !!!!
Here is some history ... Our Great Aunt Petty came to live with us almost two years ago. She worked all her life and never went on vacation (gave all her money away to those in need and never asked for anything in return.) When her husband died her house that she lived in since 1942 could not be lived in any more (it was that bad) and she could not live on her own so it was us or the county home. She never had any children of her own but loves children, took care of children and is actually a child at heart.
Our family has been going to Disney for years and we love it !!!! Over the years Aunt Petty would see our photos and videos and say what a wonderful place. She watched all the parades on the TV and loved all the Disney programs they use to air. My DH wanted more than anything else to take her to Disney and show her all the holiday lights. When we first started planning we thought it would be easier to go during the off season but then our DD's (19 and 17) protested ... Why would we get to be able to see Aunt Petty smile and not them so we decided to go during Thanksgiving Break (DD's just can not take off of school this year.) DD's never complained, they stayed by her side for almost everything and loved it all. They are such good girls they make me so proud (they did not even roll their eyes when we had to walk through the resort to check out with the bed side commode on the cart because the rental place did not have a box.)
A lot of work went into planning and preparing for this trip. It was expensive, it was exciting but it was also scary. This would be her first plane trip and her first vacation at the age of 91. She has limited mobility to say the least and her cognitive skills are so so but we were determined.

Details ...
We stayed at Bay Lake Towers in a one bedroom lake view (7542) ... It was amazing !!! Having two bathroom, the kitchen and the laundry access was wonderful. Aunt Petty thought she was a princess when she saw her king size bed with 8 pillows and snow white bed covers (she actually cried.)
We started each day with coffee and hot chocolate on the balcony watching the sun rise. The girls and DH would go off early to open the parks and ride those rides that Aunt Petty could not. When she and I were ready we would meet them there. Transportation was a breeze. So fast, so safe ... WOW what a relief. She loved all the parades, the fireworks, the lights, the shows, the entertainers (favorites were Elliot Dyson, Off Kilter, the World Showcase Players and many more) the rides we could do (favorites were the jungle cruise, the little mermaid, its a small world and the tiki room to name a few) the restaurants (favorites were the Sci Fi Cafe and the 50's Prime Time) and absolutely everything else !!!! I can tell you I have NEVER seen anyone smile soooooooooooo much soooooooooo long in my life !!!! Most of the people we encountered were happy to see her and her joy for life. It was crowded but we managed (DH actually pushed the wheel chair most of the time because I had a hard time navigating the people ... it is so much harder than it looks.)
Now that we are at home and all unpacked we can relax and reflect.
What a trip ... What a family ... What a PLACE !!!
We asked Aunt Petty before leaving the Magic Kingdom on the last day if she would like to come back and she said "YES PLEASE" so we plan to return, perhaps for Halloween.
She has already forgotten about the trip for the most part (I made her an album to share at the senior center and with herself) but that is not why we went ... We went to make memories, however those memories are remembered.

Last edited by Bronte; 11-28-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add photo
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Bete
DIS Veteran

Just great! It's so nice to hear.

I lost my mom this year at age 91. Her last trip there was when she was 90. I saw smiles on her that I didn't think could be, but they were there. She had Alzheimer's; so, the memories faded away fast, but it did not take away from the moment.

I'm so glad you did this for your aunt.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Wonderful to hear that you had such a great time!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

I am glad you had a great time and nothing bad happened and you all was able to enjoy the trip. I know you said transportation was a breeze but did you go on any buses and how did it go if you don't mind answering.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Bronte
DIS Veteran

We did take the bus to Hollywood Studios and found it very easy and very safe. We did not wait long for a bus and once the bus arrived the driver loaded us first. There was an electric scooter there too but the driver said that we had to go first because of the wheel chair. If there were more wheel chairs or scooters at the stop I could perhaps see a problem or if our resort was not the first to be picked up but that did not happen to us. The rest of the time we used the monorail or simply walked to the magic kingdom which was very fast and easy too.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Bronte
DIS Veteran

Here is another photo ...
She just smiled the whole trip ...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
disney david
DIS Veteran

Great photos you can see she was having a great time i guessing the first photo was her looking at the castle for the first time.

I am glad you had a good driver and bus ride they do for the most part work hard to make sure everyone is safe and get where they need quickly but safely.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful trip for everyone!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Sorcerer Jody
Mouseketeer

What a wonderful story! Those pictures are beautiful. I am so glad that she was got to go to Disney World - finally! I bet she got lots of comments on her "first visit" button. Thanks for sharing!
Sorcerer Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing. What a great story. I am so glad that she had a wonderful time and you will always have such great memories of the trip!

nyrebecca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

That is AWESOME that you all got to do this!!! What a beautiful lady! You can see in the pictures all the fun she is having. What great memories you will all have for years to come!
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: