Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm
Trying to plan clothing for our trip. There are a couple days that are predicted to be around 65* at this point. I know what 65* feels like in Maryland, but what does the florida humidity and such do to the feel? Is it slightly colder? Warmer? Is the sun "hotter" during the day since it is florida? I will be packing a little bit of everything, but I am wondering if I should pack more summer clothes (and jeans) or long sleeve shirts. With the airline weight restrictions, 2 outfits for each day just isn't gonna work, so I have to hedge my bets.
Cold. The sun likes to provide "cold light" during those times.

Jacket and jeans, thank you very much.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

OP, one thing to keep in mind is that this time of the year you are going to be spending more time in the parks AFTER the sun goes down than you would before the time change because you not only lose an hour of daylight due to the time shift but the days are shorter as well. This was our first time going after daylight savings ended and we were amazed at how it threw us out of whack. Anyway, the weather forecast was utterly useless...zero % chance of rain yet it DID rain Tues night at Epcot. Forecast was for mid 50s that same night so we hauled our jackets around.....never even got cool. Forecast was for mid 70s yesterday (Wed) so we didn't take our jackets and it hovered in the mid 60s with a steady damp breeze. Must be nice to be a weatherman....you get to be wrong over and over yet keep your job .

Best bet is to take a T-shirt with you to put on underneath what you wear in the park just in case the temps drop. It keeps that cool breeze from reaching your skin which goes a long way in keeping you comfortable.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Beyond cardigans, we like sweatshirts that zip. Dark colored hoodies are great at WDW. (built in head cover if it really gets cold) I'm also a huge fan of fleece.

As other have said, it's not just the highs you have to think about, it's the lows, the amount of sun, and the amount of wind. We tend to stay out late at night in the parks. After dark, the wind can really pick up. I have more than one picture of us wearing four layers! If you are the kind of folks that stick more to daytime hours, you probably won't be out the low temps as much as us.

One packing 'trick' is to bring extra socks. An extra pair of socks only takes up a little room in your luggage, but warm feet go along ways towards keeping me happy. I don't mean just ankle socks...the under jeans option of cotton tights or thin thermals is also great, and again, they don't take up much room in luggage/day bag. Hats/gloves are also an easy luggage 'stash.'

Layers are wise. I like to bring a little of everything: tank tops, long sleeves, hooded sweatshirts, windbreaker. I'd rather be prepared than uncomfortable, without overpacking. Many times, I've been very happy to have a winter coat with me at WDW.

Epcot always feels the coldest to me. Partly because there's so much open space. To make matters worse, at night, most guests are over by the big lake (WS dinners/Illuminations), or on Test Track. On your AK day, conversely, you know you won't be out late. AK also has lots of wind protection.

Beyond that....during the holiday season at WDW, particularly an area like the Osbourne lights area, it's fun to adopt a 'winter holiday' look. (Think: Old Navy commercials) If you've got a took, it makes for a fun photo op, and it keeps your head warm!

There's no lack of opportunity to buy shirts and sweatshirts at WDW. They don't really sell jeans. Socks are hard to find. (been there, WDW charges a premium for socks and underwear...)

Still one more good thing to know...worst case scenario - there is a great outlet mall (actually two) located just off WDW property. They have lots of big names like Nike, Gap, Oshkosh, Levi's, etc. It's just across I-4.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
WDW charges a premium for socks and underwear.
Especially near ToT
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We were there last week. I can tell you layers are your friend! It depends when the sun wasn't out it was chilly. The wind made it feel about 5 degrees cooler. I wish I would have packed gloves for early morning and late evening! When it was mid 50's and wind. But we didn't bring coats. We had sweat shirts.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Ok, so a jacket is needed just about every day...check!

So if you are carrying your jacket, does it become a "bag" for bag check? Or can I still walk through the no bag area?

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Waddler
Mouseketeer

I've been to WDW in December and January many times, and I always bring a ski hat, thin gloves, and heavy fleece for nighttime. It can feel downright frigid when the wind is whipping across the world showcase while you wait for Illuminations. You'll outlast many other guests if you come prepared.

Security has never made me go through the bag check line if I'm only carrying a coat, but I suppose they could always change their minds. They might want to check your pockets if they're obviously stuffed.

ETA: I'm from the northeast as well. I think a winter night at WDW feels similar to warm-ish winter daytime at home.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I fly on Dec 6.....9th year in a row at this time of year. I will be flying in....heavy socks, jeans, a turtleneck, sweatshirt, flannel lined windbreaker. I will pack a short sleeved shirt in my carryon bag. The socks, turtleneck, sweatshirt and windbreaker come off at MCO, and into the bag, the short sleeved shirt goes on.
I bring capris, and maybe a skort or two, a second pair of jeans, a few short sleeved shirts, some long sleeved tees, a second sweatshirt, and plenty of socks. Also, a pair of one size fits all mittens..those stretchy ones. They're great at night in WDW.

65 is chilly in WDW...and when it goes down into the high 40's at night?? Man, you're going to want to bundle up!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Ok, so a jacket is needed just about every day...check!

So if you are carrying your jacket, does it become a "bag" for bag check? Or can I still walk through the no bag area?
Wrap it around your waist, tying it in front of you. Haven't been stopped by security yet.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

65 in FL still feels like summer, to us. Shorts and t's for DH and the kids, capris and t's for me. Hoodies after dark if we get chilly.

I would kill for 65 right now...so sick of grey and 25...

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
wdwluv
I only like the snow on Main Street U.S.A.

Now I'm scared.

We are going to wdw in early January. I thought of packing maybe 1 or 2 pairs of jeans but now I wonder if we should only pack a couple of pairs of shorts. We live close to the Adirondacks so I thought 60 degrees would feel like summer to us. Am I wrong?
wdwluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
3PRINCESSMOM
Used to be 3PRINCESSMOM, but alas she nows has a PRINCE

I'm from New England, but I get cold in WDW this time of year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwluv View Post
We are going to wdw in early January. I thought of packing maybe 1 or 2 pairs of jeans but now I wonder if we should only pack a couple of pairs of shorts. We live close to the Adirondacks so I thought 60 degrees would feel like summer to us. Am I wrong?
In a word... Yes! Any December or January trip has meant at least some very cool weather. My older DD likes to tell the story of our first January trip when she had to wear the same sweatsuit everyday cuz mommy packed only shorts and sundresses, but temps never went above 68*....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Was a tad warmer today here than yesterday, but maybe that's because the sun was out today and yest. was over cast. It was windy today though, and I found it chilly enough for long sleeves most of the day, and windbreaker part of the time. The wind is supposed to be lighter tomorrow and into week end (hopefully)
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

65* with or without humidity is shorts, t-shirt and sandals weather. Also swimming weather. So is 55*! I'm not exaggerating, this is what I would be wearing all the way down to around 45-50. But then, I'm from Winnipeg, so we're a bit more tolerant of cooler weather.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #30
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwluv View Post
The weather is very unpredictable, but I find that the colder it is at home, the warmer that weather feels in florida. It's like our bodies adjust to winter and all of a sudden we're in mid-spring, and the sun can be hot if its out. 30*=cold, 65*=pleasant in our house.

And for what its worth, it was in the 80s during the first week of Feb last year, so there really is no guessing what the weather is gonna do.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: