Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Deadbolt to Keep the Hotel Room Door Open

Okay, I admit it, we do this ALL the time. However........we are IN THE ROOM. We often travel with other family so we have two or three rooms and the kids are going back and forth between rooms and they drive you crazy knocking on the door to be let in, so we will put the deadbolt thingy there so they can get in and out .... but we are IN THE ROOM. I was amazed when they were talking about it on the show and meaning people go to the pool or the parks or whatever and do this. That is so weird.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I have done this too when someone is in the room. But not when no one is there. However, I can sortof understand the idea of doing this if your family is on the first floor of POP, for instance, right near the pool for bathroom runs, etc. And I imagine people think that since their valuables are in the safe, they are fine, right?

My tangential mind then started to wonder how large the room safes are (not big as I recall). Dfiance and Dstepson both have iPads. Would two ipads fit in the room safe? Barely, right? Then how would we fit wallets in there?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
I have done this too when someone is in the room. But not when no one is there. However, I can sortof understand the idea of doing this if your family is on the first floor of POP, for instance, right near the pool for bathroom runs, etc. And I imagine people think that since their valuables are in the safe, they are fine, right?

My tangential mind then started to wonder how large the room safes are (not big as I recall). Dfiance and Dstepson both have iPads. Would two ipads fit in the room safe? Barely, right? Then how would we fit wallets in there?
You should ba able to fit a couple iPads and a couple wallets in the safe. But if you're leaving your room open while you swim, where is the key?

It might be wise for us all to remember that there are criminals out there waiting to find hotel room doors propped open. Why make it easy for them?
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak

I know my 1 iPad fit without any problem -and would agree that 2 should be no problem either.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

I was confused when I first heard this because we do the same thing - but only when someone is in the room. I would never leave it open without someone in the room. I totally agree with the point that if a child isn't responsible enough to keep track of a key, they shouldn't be adult-less.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

I've done it when I'm actually in the room, but even if I'm going down the hall for a bucket of ice, I fully lock it and bring a key. It's cheap insurance.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

The other issue with keeping the door propped open is critters getting in your room. We stayed in the bayou area of POR this summer and had a frog decide to join us in the room. Not knowing what type of frog it was we called guest services. They promptly sent the guy who was on staff who did this type of thing. The frog decided that he didn't want to be caught and jumped off the wall across the room and our guy dove across the room on to the floor and grabbed him. All I kept thinking was "crocodile hunter". We kept using the crocodile hunter voice when ever we saw an animal for the next couple days.

Lizards and snakes are all over the place.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Former Disney resort CM chiming in:
Yes, unfortunately guests sometimes leave their common sense at home. This happened most often while they were around the resort (running to the food courts or the pool). The bigger problem is assuming your door closed and locked behind you- ALWAYS double check the handle! Something as simple as a shoe or one of those stupid pizza flyers could get in the way of the door closing completely and suddenly your possessions are unguarded.

As for the issue of kids losing their room keys, there are a few things worth mentioning:
1) At least as of 2010, all kids room keys were automatically disabled from charging. The CM would have to manually check a box to authorize charging.
2) CMs are required to ask not only if you want charging on the room, but which members of the party are allowed to charge. It was rare for guests to authorize their kids.
3) In the 2 years I worked front desk, and the 5 years my friend has, neither one of us EVER saw a KTTW be used fraudulently. Guests lost their KTTW daily, but we never had a case of mysterious charges. The KTTW is immediately cancelled as soon as it's reported stolen so there are no further risks.

With all of this said, room break-ins were very rare as a whole. As long as you make sure your door is locked every time you leave, there's practically no chance anyone gets in. If any hotel staff were to enter your room, the lock monitors who came in and at what time. I never heard of housekeeping stealing anything either- with the exception of the hotel's toilet paper
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Also if you lose your KTTW in a park guest relations can get you a new one. The last time I was in WDW on one day when I was heading out to AK I left my key in the room. On a off chance they could help I went to guest relations to see if they could at least get me a park ticket, guess what the person I talked to said she could get me a new KTTW card, after she asked me some questions and checked a photo ID she went into the back and came back with a new card for me and marked it so I wouldn't get it mixed up with the one I left in the room.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
jackieinJuneau
Mouseketeer

Growing up in norther Michigan my family owned a small motel in a touristy area. This was an issue back then as well but more because bats and bugs can get in the room. I can't tell you how many bats or snakes got in that way. Then my grandpa would go get the critter out. In Disney I would still worry about snakes and bugs and that's enough of a reason to keep my door shut!
jackieinJuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I caught my teenage son using the deadbolt to hold the door open on our mother/son trip. He left the room to get some ice.

I was at the gift shop and returned to the room to find the deadbolt holding the door open. I promptly closed the door and made sure nothing had been taken from the room.

I sure read him the riot act and to my knowledge he has never done it again.

Heck, I keep the deadbolt locked even when I'm in the room unless I'm waiting on someone else to arrive. That's always been my thing no matter what hotel I'm staying at.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 12-01-2012 at 02:15 PM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
vanl0003
Earning My Ears

Like the others, when we are in the room we do this all the time when travelling with others who are immediately beside us. We never leave it that way when we leave the rooms.
Disney Dream in 2012
CSR in 2013

vanl0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

I'm guilty of this as well, but only at hotels whose room doors open into an enclosed hallway, as opposed to a parking lot or outside walkway.

I guess it's a psychological thing-believing you're more in a "safety bubble" in an interior hotel room.

But, I can't imagine doing it without others in the room.

I've seen doors at the Disney resorts propped open with everything from desk chairs to coolers to 2-liter bottles of Coke.

I guess we can all be guilty of letting our guards down at the wrong time.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Speaking in a non-theft point of view...the doors are meant to be closed and should never be propped open ... because of fire safety. They close by themselves for a reason and it's not for inconviencing people. They're there to provide a separation between the room and the corridor.

I'm not thrilled when people leave the door propped open when they're inside but even less so if they're not in their room.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Speaking in a non-theft point of view...the doors are meant to be closed and should never be propped open ... because of fire safety. They close by themselves for a reason and it's not for inconveniencing people. They're there to provide a separation between the room and the corridor.
^ Excellent point.

I, like many others I'm sure, don't think of things from a fire safety point of view until perhaps it's too late.

Thank you for reminding us of that !

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: