Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Miffy
DIS Veteran

How to handle "free upgrade" email?

Hi everyone,

My sister booked an LM room at AoA six months ago. She's arriving in three weeks. Today she got an email "Upgrade your Disney Resort hotel for FREE." The options they offered were any of the family suites at AoA, CBR, CSR, OKW, and SS. The email says to call soon to ask about the free upgrade.

The thing is, my sister wants to stay in the LM room she booked! None of the "upgrade" options is in any way appealing to her. I realize that to someone else, these might seem like upgrades, but to my sister, they do not.

If she doesn't call them, will they maybe force her to "upgrade" when she checks in in three weeks? Should she call and make sure that her LM room is still hers?

Thanks for some guidance. This has never happened to me, so I don't know what to tell her is the best course of action (or inaction). She hasn't been to WDW in 25 years and she would like to get the room she booked. It'd be different if she wanted to stay at one of these other resorts (or suites) but she doesn't.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Tell CRO she wants to stay where she booked.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
mjrusso45
Earning My Ears

I would just ignore it. I don't think there's any danger of getting upgraded against your will.

As an aside., we were booked for LM as well for Dec 2012, and we DID take advantage of the offer, now we're booked in a suite.
mjrusso45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
sndral
DIS Veteran

I agree w/ Missytara, let them know she definately wants to stay put.
Sounds like Disney has overbooked LM rooms and is offering upgrades to deal w/ the problem, they have done this in the past at other resorts and if not enough people bite, she'll be moved anyway. Hopefully enough people will be tempted and it won't be an issue.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
jenlov
Mouseketeer

We are too! I mean booked for 2 LM rooms. Wonder what the odds would be to get upgraded to 2 suites?? I think I'd be tempted!
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Miffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I agree w/ Missytara, let them know she definately wants to stay put.
Sounds like Disney has overbooked LM rooms and is offering upgrades to deal w/ the problem, they have done this in the past at other resorts and if not enough people bite, she'll be moved anyway. Hopefully enough people will be tempted and it won't be an issue.
Thank you, sndral. I think this is the best course. My sister just tried calling them but was on hold for over twenty minutes so she's going to call back tomorrow. I'll post back with her results.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

I got the free upgrade email, too, and I'm on hold right now for going on 16 minutes. We're booked in a LM room, but I'm going to try to upgrade to a suite. DH really wants to go to OKW, but since AoA is new, we want to stay put. DD is not happy about possibly leaving the LM rooms, though!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Becky0216
Mouseketeer

Lucky people on here. Although we are really excited about the LM room we are booked to stay in Dec 11- 18th, we would LOVE to be moved to a suite. We are a family of 5 (I 1 year old) so not only would we be more comfortable, but also would like the decor more as we have a boy as well. The suites are just way out of our price range.
I hope you get to keep your room though! Good luck.

March 2006 - Offsite, Feb. 2007 - Offsite, Dec. 2008 - Pop, Nov. 2009 - Pop, Dec. 2010 - offsite, Nov. 2011 - Pop, Dec. 2012 - AOA, Nov. 2014 - Pop
Becky0216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

We also received the upgrade email. We are staying at POR and they offered AKL, OLd Key West, or Saratoga Springs. We are doing our first night room only and the rest of the week as a package with free dining. The offer was ONLY for the first night. I asked about the rest of the week and was told no, only the one night. We decided it just wasn't worth the trouble of moving for one night. The only thing I am now wondering about is the phone number in the email. It is different then the regular reservation number - I may call the number in the email and see if they might add the rest of the week....
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
yolie912
DIS Veteran

If you don't mind me asking, what are your dates?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

Not sure who you are asking, but we arrive the 9th and leave on the 16th.
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
scdak
DIS Veteran

I checked out of a LM room this morning, and I would have given anything for an upgrade out of that resort! I am sure the OP sister has a reason to want to stay in a LM room but I for one will never choose that resort again. Its a good thing its at the Mouse's house, because it is beyond cheesy!
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Your sister knows that a AOA suite is on the same property, with a much bigger room closer to the food court, and worth 3x what she is paying, right? WDW rarely gives out upgrades, so this is a great opportunity. She could always book a LM room another trip. From what I've read, it's quite a long walk to the food court from the LM rooms and they are quite small.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Oh yeah! That totally would not be fun to have to switch after one night!
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Specter
Earning My Ears

My wife got the email and we went from POFQ to Poly, there was no way we were turning that down. Can't wait.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: