Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
scubamouse
Mouseketeer
My shoes match. I know, I checked!

Has anyone gotten hurt on Jurassic Park?

We are just back from a great vacation but I did have a very bad second run on Jurassic Park. I'm not exactly sure what I was doing but at the end when it comes to an abrupt stop, I hit the safety bar in such a way that it knocked the wind out of me, definitely a hard impact. I was able to get up and walk around ok, just a bit sore.

I took it easy the next day, iced the area. Then I headed off to Epcot and MK, taking it very easy but I was able to walk ok. As I was getting ready to leave Orlando, I started to feel a lot more pain and loss of mobility. I couldn't walk as fast and I couldn't get in and out of the car easily.

I went to the ER when I got home and it turns out I had broken a rib from the impact It's being treated but it does make me wonder if others have had a really jarring end to that ride.

As an aside, FJ is the most spectacular ride I've ever done. Simply amazing effects!
2005 Christmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2007 Beach Club Villas with free dining
2008 Beach Club villas
Spring break 2009 Howard Johnson's at Disneyland
August 26 - September 5, 2010 Bonnet Creek
Planning an August 2012 trip
scubamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
scubamouse
Mouseketeer

Wow, nearly 250 views and not a single solitary comment Not even a hope you feel better.

FYI - I let US/IOA know what happened via their email service and I got a phone call today. They asked a few questions and said to keep in touch and they'd be writing up a full report. I want them to at least know the ride has this risk to it.
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2008 Beach Club villas
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
feathersmcgraw
Mouseketeer

Wow owch, hope you are OK. I know what ride I will be leaving out next trip

feathersmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

I think its a good idea on any ride with a bar to brace yourself a bit.

Never had that hard an impact though that I would be concerned about breaking a rib.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
TheRealDrDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamouse View Post
Wow, nearly 250 views and not a single solitary comment Not even a hope you feel better.

FYI - I let US/IOA know what happened via their email service and I got a phone call today. They asked a few questions and said to keep in touch and they'd be writing up a full report. I want them to at least know the ride has this risk to it.
Just read this - hope you are feeling better. I've never broken a rib but I can imagine it's very painful!

I tripped on the cobblestones in front of Beetlejuice one time and hobbled to the first aid area. They were extremely kind and professional - gave me ice for the swelling and took down a report.

Now I always look down while walking in that area - lol!

Thanks for the warning about JP. I've ridden it but the butt-lifting-from-the-seat feeling I get on the final drop is too much for my wimpy self.
TheRealDrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I don't think we've had anyone on the boards talk about being injured on Jurassic Park before and I've been here for over 10 years. I'll do a search and see what I can find. I don't think that personally we've ever had that hard of an impact either, that it would cause any injuries. The Mummy ride comes to more of a jolting stop, in my experience. Hopefully you're feeling better soon. A broken rib is awful!

Edited to add:

A google search reports a woman in Universal Hollywood suffering a similar injury to you.

Last edited by damo; 08-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
scubamouse
Mouseketeer

I didn't think I'd seen anything about the ride until I did some after the fact googling. On my FB, a few people mentioned some nasty bruises from the ride.
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2008 Beach Club villas
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

It shouldn't stop suddenly, but this is why they tell you not to duck down on the drop. So that your head won't get behind the bar. I still duck down, but make sure I am in a good position with the bar. Try to take it in the arm pit/upper chest area.
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
chabs
DIS Veteran

I can sympathize with you because about 5 years ago I got a concussion from the Mummy ride. There is a part of the ride where you stop and then suddenly go backwards (I think-I haven't been on it since) and I sat up and leaned forward to kind of adjust myself. All of a sudden, the ride pulled me backwards and I hit my head on the back of the seat-hard. I think I was stunned at the time and I didn't really even realize what happened until the next day when I was trying to stand up in the shower and kept falling over. My son said "didn't you read the signs? It said not to lean forward." but I didn't see them. I am not a huge rulebreaker or thrill seeker that doesn't hold on or anything-I honestly didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to lean forward. So stuff does happen, whether people meant to break the rules or not. It makes you wonder how safe the rides really are sometimes.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

crickes not that bad - hubby and I both got hit and ended up with headaches after the ride (hitting our heads). Hubby protected our little one, thank goodness. But we're going to pass on that ride from now on. Sorry you got hurt that badly.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002
DisneyWorld - 1985, 1987, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012

Disney Cruise - coming soon 2013
wildzootv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

I think the rides are pretty safe chabs. After all, consider how many guests go through them in a day. The number of injuries are probably very minimal considering the large number of guests.

More people probably get hurt tripping walking in from the parking lot.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
cieslack
Mouseketeer

I ducked once even though I was either told or read a sign telling me not to. My face hit the padded panel in front of me (I'm talking about Jurassic Park). I learned my lesson. Keep in mind that some of us have weaknesses and are predisposed to certain injuries....especially as we age. My body can't always take the whipping and jerking, but the kids jump off and get back in line.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Wow, I don't even remember being jerked on that ride. I feel for you - broken ribs are so painful!

I've also been on the Mummy ride many, many times (it's my favorite) and thank goodness nothing has ever happened.

The only time I got hurt on a ride was on the monorail of all things. The silly thing shut its doors on my hand and I got a finger caught. It didn't open immediately and hurt like crazy but luckily I just ended up with a bruised and swollen finger for several days. I guess that you just never know.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamouse View Post
Wow, nearly 250 views and not a single solitary comment
I know I was one who read it and didn't comment because the question was "has anyone gotten hurt on Jurassic Park?" But since I have never heard of any injuries, I didn't reply. That lap bar is very padded and I've never heard of anyone even busting a lip on the ride. It sounds like one of those freak accidents. My husband broke two ribs from coughing so much when he had bronchitis, so I guess ribs can be broken without too much force. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #15
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

I think part of it, if I'm reading your post correctly is that after the splashdown it stopped abruptly? Or was it when you're ready to exit?

I think the difference of weight between riders in the front of the boat and back of the boat can cause it to act differently on the splashdown (first-hand experience)

I know they've re-done those lap bars at least once since the attraction first opened.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: