Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Christmas and new Fantasyland tips

Hi all. We will be in WDW for a week beginning Saturday. I have been super busy and have not had time to do my usual reading and planning. We've never been during the winter before. We have tickets for MVMCP, and a voucher for Photopass Plus so want to take lots of pics at the party.

Any quick tips for MVMCP, decoration viewing, or the new Fantasyland? Any must have photopass shots?

Thank you!

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

On New Fantasyland:

-BOG is easily the most beautiful restaurant on property and it is definitely worth eating QS lunch there just to see it (I'm assuming you don't have dinner ressies there).
-ETwB has a slow-moving line, so it's a good choice for first attraction of the AM (after you grab FPs for Peter Pan or Space, of course) or during MVMCP.

On MVMCP:

-Plan to watch the second parade.
-If you want to meet characters, especially the more popular ones, just as the first parade is beginning is a great time to do it. I went to the party on 11/30 which I'm pretty sure was far from sold out, so we had low crowds anyway, but we did this with Rapunzel/Flynn and there were only 2 families in front of us.
-DON'T get cookies/hot chocolate at CP if you can avoid it. For some reason that line was ridiculously slow moving...I guess it's the fact that they only have two stations where Tomorrowland Terrace and CR's have several.
-Avoid Main St. around 7 pm - non partygoers will be trying to exit while others are claiming spots for the first parade. We were happily eating supper at 6:55 in the back of the park so I'm not sure how bad it was the night we were there, but Josh at easyWDW has pictures of this the night he went last year and it looked like a ZOO.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
On New Fantasyland:

-BOG is easily the most beautiful restaurant on property and it is definitely worth eating QS lunch there just to see it (I'm assuming you don't have dinner ressies there).
-ETwB has a slow-moving line, so it's a good choice for first attraction of the AM (after you grab FPs for Peter Pan or Space, of course) or during MVMCP. I'm sorry, which ride is this?

On MVMCP:

-Plan to watch the second parade. Any preferred location?
-If you want to meet characters, especially the more popular ones, just as the first parade is beginning is a great time to do it. I went to the party on 11/30 which I'm pretty sure was far from sold out, so we had low crowds anyway, but we did this with Rapunzel/Flynn and there were only 2 families in front of us. Do you get a map where all the characters are located?
-DON'T get cookies/hot chocolate at CP if you can avoid it. For some reason that line was ridiculously slow moving...I guess it's the fact that they only have two stations where Tomorrowland Terrace and CR's have several. Good to know!-Avoid Main St. around 7 pm - non partygoers will be trying to exit while others are claiming spots for the first parade. We were happily eating supper at 6:55 in the back of the park so I'm not sure how bad it was the night we were there, but Josh at easyWDW has pictures of this the night he went last year and it looked like a ZOO.
Will do!

I have tried a gazillion times for a BOG adr with no luck, so lunch it is!

Thank you!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Is the new Tavern opened? Anything good there?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

-ETwB = Enchanted Tales with Belle. It's the storytelling/meeting Belle (though not a traditional M&G) experience in New Fantasyland. It is really cute and definitely worth doing, but because each show lasts about 15 minutes and only takes about 20-30 people at a time, the line moves sloooowly.

-For the MVMCP parade, Frontierland and Liberty Square will be less crowded than Main St. But, the lighting is not as good in those locations. We actually skipped the parade in favor of more rides (our group had a WDW first timer), so I can't speak to a favorite location. I have always thought it would be neat to watch from the Main St. train station, though - nice aerial view

-The map indicates where the character M&Gs are, but not which characters meet where. Check out Kenny the Pirate's guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Is the new Tavern opened? Anything good there?
I assume you are referring to Gaston's Tavern - yes, it is open. I really liked LeFou's Brew! Very sweet at first, then more refreshing. Note that if you don't want to spend $9.99 for the souvenir stein or goblet, you can get it for about half that cost in a regular cup. I haven't had anything else there so I can't comment on that, but I've heard the pork shank is very good.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
-ETwB = Enchanted Tales with Belle. It's the storytelling/meeting Belle (though not a traditional M&G) experience in New Fantasyland. It is really cute and definitely worth doing, but because each show lasts about 15 minutes and only takes about 20-30 people at a time, the line moves sloooowly.

-For the MVMCP parade, Frontierland and Liberty Square will be less crowded than Main St. But, the lighting is not as good in those locations. We actually skipped the parade in favor of more rides (our group had a WDW first timer), so I can't speak to a favorite location. I have always thought it would be neat to watch from the Main St. train station, though - nice aerial view

-The map indicates where the character M&Gs are, but not which characters meet where. Check out Kenny the Pirate's guide.

I assume you are referring to Gaston's Tavern - yes, it is open. I really liked LeFou's Brew! Very sweet at first, then more refreshing. Note that if you don't want to spend $9.99 for the souvenir stein or goblet, you can get it for about half that cost in a regular cup. I haven't had anything else there so I can't comment on that, but I've heard the pork shank is very good.
Thank you! We may skip the Enchanted Tales with Belle this trip, I don't think my son will sit through it. Maybe in a couple of years (or if he is taking a nap).

Any other good Christmas time tips? Must sees? Best photo taking spots?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Will do!

I have tried a gazillion times for a BOG adr with no luck, so lunch it is!

Thank you!
Lunch is fantastic! Don't let the line scare you, ask the CM standing there how long it is. Looking at it, we would have sworn it was an hour, but it was only 15 minutes, and well worth it!

We discovered if you are big Peter Pan ride fans it is great right now. There is not a morning rush there now like there was before new Fantasyland. Everyone now runs to the new Fantasyland, so we went to Peter Pan and walked on. Then after we finished that, we went to the new Fantasyland and Ariel was still walk on because it is such a quick loader. Belle fills up pretty quick in the morning, but we noticed that it rarely went over 40 minutes, and it would drop to 30 after the initial rush came through. I would not skip it. I wasn't expecting much from it because my family didn't care for the old Belle's storytime at all, but it is wonderful! I wouldn't worry about your son not sitting through it, it is pretty short and pretty entertaining. The second time we did it, the boy that got picked to be the beast was about 9 or 10 and was visibly not amused and didn't really want to do it. His mother was thrilled and pretty much made him though. It was hilarious. He did not want to take the photopass picture with Belle at the end, and his mom who was sitting on the front row pointed at him and told him to do it--- that has got to be an absolute classic photo because the scowling expression on his face was fantastic. If I were his Mom, that one would definitely be blown up for his wedding!

Definitely get on Kenny the Pirate's website for his character times. I printed them off and took them with me into the parks and they were extremely useful. Kenny, if you are reading this, you are AWESOME! We love characters and you made it so easy to plot out meeting them all! THANK YOU!

As far as LeFrou's brew, I wouldn't spend the money buying it for everyone without tasting it first. I got it for DD and I, and we both thought it was nasty. She is a big apple juice fan too, so I figured even if I didn't like it, she would. Both ours got poured down the drain. The cups are cute, but the characters on them are just stickers added on, so I don't think they will last.

Parkhopping, we watched the MVMCP parade from the train station last Thursday night and I loved it. We actually hopped up there at 8:15 for the first parade, and DD (6) got a spot at the rail and we were in the second row of people right behind her. I never expected to get that good of a spot up there that close to parade time. It wasn't a sold out night, so I'm sure that was a big part of it.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

we are there the same time you are and doing MVMCP as well (Tues), and look forward to the EFL.

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1 View Post
we are there the same time you are and doing MVMCP as well (Tues), and look forward to the EFL.
What is EFL? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is EFL? Thanks!
I think EFL = Expanded Fantasyland. We really need a standard acronym for this area - I've seen NF, FLE, NFL (yep) and now EFL

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Lunch is fantastic! Don't let the line scare you, ask the CM standing there how long it is. Looking at it, we would have sworn it was an hour, but it was only 15 minutes, and well worth it!

We discovered if you are big Peter Pan ride fans it is great right now. There is not a morning rush there now like there was before new Fantasyland. Everyone now runs to the new Fantasyland, so we went to Peter Pan and walked on. Then after we finished that, we went to the new Fantasyland and Ariel was still walk on because it is such a quick loader. Belle fills up pretty quick in the morning, but we noticed that it rarely went over 40 minutes, and it would drop to 30 after the initial rush came through. I would not skip it. I wasn't expecting much from it because my family didn't care for the old Belle's storytime at all, but it is wonderful! I wouldn't worry about your son not sitting through it, it is pretty short and pretty entertaining. The second time we did it, the boy that got picked to be the beast was about 9 or 10 and was visibly not amused and didn't really want to do it. His mother was thrilled and pretty much made him though. It was hilarious. He did not want to take the photopass picture with Belle at the end, and his mom who was sitting on the front row pointed at him and told him to do it--- that has got to be an absolute classic photo because the scowling expression on his face was fantastic. If I were his Mom, that one would definitely be blown up for his wedding!

Definitely get on Kenny the Pirate's website for his character times. I printed them off and took them with me into the parks and they were extremely useful. Kenny, if you are reading this, you are AWESOME! We love characters and you made it so easy to plot out meeting them all! THANK YOU!

As far as LeFrou's brew, I wouldn't spend the money buying it for everyone without tasting it first. I got it for DD and I, and we both thought it was nasty. She is a big apple juice fan too, so I figured even if I didn't like it, she would. Both ours got poured down the drain. The cups are cute, but the characters on them are just stickers added on, so I don't think they will last.

Parkhopping, we watched the MVMCP parade from the train station last Thursday night and I loved it. We actually hopped up there at 8:15 for the first parade, and DD (6) got a spot at the rail and we were in the second row of people right behind her. I never expected to get that good of a spot up there that close to parade time. It wasn't a sold out night, so I'm sure that was a big part of it.
Thank you for the tips! I will check out Kenny the Pirate's site.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think EFL = Expanded Fantasyland. We really need a standard acronym for this area - I've seen NF, FLE, NFL (yep) and now EFL
Lol, I should have known that one!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: