DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
Just my opinion we always rent off DVC members ..its a pain sometimes.but never a problem .we have gone to DW the past 12 years and pay less than or the same as maintenance fees are..so to us doesnt make sense to be tied down to a timeshare..but once its paid for and just the dues its probably worth it..if someone were to give me a DVC membership i would take it..but wouldnt pay upfront several thousand for it..just an opinion
Could you please tell us where to rent points for around $5?

Thank you from my Disney children!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #32
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Is it worth it? That is like asking is the DDP worth it. LOL

We own two contracts. One we bought via Disney and one we bought via resale.

Have I been happy? Yes. Would I do it again? I'm not sure.

The cons for me:
  • We prefer two beds and not one bed and a sofa bed
  • We prefer daily maid service (for the fresh towels)
  • Annual maintenance fees

The pros:
  • We like the 1 bedroom
  • Flexible

My maintenance fees this year are $1540 (approx because I couldn't find the exact price of 2013). I just looked up for a friend the cost of renting points and I think renting points is the way to go. You get the benefits of DVC rooms without the annual maintenance fees.

I'm not sorry we bought in and if I had extra money, I might buy more resale points. But, do I think it is worth it? I'm on the fence but leaning towards no. If you have a chunk of money that isn't needed and burning a hole in your pocket and you visit Disney often, then I'd say yes. But if money is tight, and you have to finance, I'd say definitely not.

Quite a conundrum isn't it?
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
Could you please tell us where to rent points for around $5?

Thank you from my Disney children!
Probably from a dear, close friend who owns DVC, can't use the point and would be willing to give them up for the price of the annual dues. Most resorts are over $5 a month, if not now, then by Jan 1 with the dues increase.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Probably from a dear, close friend who owns DVC, can't use the point and would be willing to give them up for the price of the annual dues. Most resorts are over $5 a month, if not now, then by Jan 1 with the dues increase.
Two other situations can get that low, distressed points/reservations and RCI exchanges that are rented out.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post

[*]We prefer daily maid service (for the fresh towels)
If you just want fresh towels, you do know you can call the lobby and request them, and then on the days you do have maid service, you can request extra?

I usually request extra shampoo and conditioner and some extra towels at checkin (It's just DH and I, but invariably just ONE thing will need washing - usually because DH doesn't pack enough of something - or we will get caught in a downpour and need to dry out our shoes or somesuch, so I need the extra towels.) and then leave a note to the maid on our cleaning day requesting the same thing.

Mischief managed!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
If you just want fresh towels, you do know you can call the lobby and request them, and then on the days you do have maid service, you can request extra?

mischief managed!
Love your "mischief managed" phrase! HP is a favorite!

As for the towels, don't they charge you extra? My point with the towels is not so much that I need daily maid service because I generally keep our room neat. BUT to expect a family of 4 to use 4 washcloths for 4 days is nuts. I'm even willing to reuse a towel but with 3 of the four being girls with long hair, we need plenty of dry towels and there just isn't a whole lot of places to dry them out. The wash cloths is really an issue with me. If the reservation is for a family of 4, then they should give you 16 wash cloths so you can make it through until trash and towel day.

When we stay in a 1 BR I just wash them myself and it is a non issue but when staying in a studio it is an issue.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #37
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

I love my Dvc. May have a case of addonitis
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #38
Deb & Bill

Quote:

I usually request extra shampoo and conditioner and some extra towels at checkin (It's just DH and I, but invariably just ONE thing will need washing - usually because DH doesn't pack enough of something - or we will get caught in a downpour and need to dry out our shoes or somesuch, so I need the extra towels.) and then leave a note to the maid on our cleaning day requesting the same thing.

Mischief managed!
Any extra that you want, towels, shampoo, etc, you will pay for. In a timeshare, the owners pay for all the extras. That's why lots of us bring stuff from home instead of paying Disney extra $$$ for those tiny bottles of shampoo. It they allowed unlimited free stuff, the dues would go through the ceiling.

Quote:
Housekeeping
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

•Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
•Provide fresh bathroom linens.
•Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
•Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
•Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
•Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

•Change the bed linens.
•Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
•Clean the bathroom(s).
•Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

•Toiletries Package, $5.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
•Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
•Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
•Laundry Detergent (only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

Additional Full Cleaning Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $30.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $45.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $60.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $75.00 per day requested

Additional Trash & Towel Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $15.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $20.00 per day requested

Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #39
snarlingcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Love your "mischief managed" phrase! HP is a favorite!

As for the towels, don't they charge you extra? My point with the towels is not so much that I need daily maid service because I generally keep our room neat. BUT to expect a family of 4 to use 4 washcloths for 4 days is nuts. I'm even willing to reuse a towel but with 3 of the four being girls with long hair, we need plenty of dry towels and there just isn't a whole lot of places to dry them out. The wash cloths is really an issue with me. If the reservation is for a family of 4, then they should give you 16 wash cloths so you can make it through until trash and towel day.

When we stay in a 1 BR I just wash them myself and it is a non issue but when staying in a studio it is an issue.
They haven't in the past. I usually just hie myself down to the lobby and ask for some or ask if I see a cart in the hallway. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? I'd pay for it if they did - not a big deal. Heck, you could always grab some from the pool. They'll get back to the pool area - they have those stripes, after all.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #40
snarlingcoyote

Oh wow! We've always rented points before this and they've never charged me once! I didn't know they were supposed to!

Still, looking at those prices - they're really cheap, so I'd happily pay it just to have enough of the things I want in my room. I'm not bringing shampoo or towels from home! 11 bucks for enough towels and toiletries so that I'm comfy? Not really all that big a deal.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
Deb & Bill

Quote:
They haven't in the past. I usually just hie myself down to the lobby and ask for some or ask if I see a cart in the hallway. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? I'd pay for it if they did - not a big deal. Heck, you could always grab some from the pool. They'll get back to the pool area - they have those stripes, after all.
DVC also asks members not to take the pool towels to use in their villas. It takes more the wash the pool towels (all the sunscreen and stuff), so it costs members more.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

For us it currently is not worth it, but it is because how we vacation and the stage of life we are in. (Personally I think it would be great, but it isn't in the best interest of my family at this point in time.) Although we have gone the past two years and have plans to go next year (we go between 7-10 days and have considered a 14 day trip), I can't guarantee this trend will continue. (And we will not go more than once per year, so AP's don't help cut costs.) Our kids are 2 and 4, but I can see dh getting Disney'd out as he isn't thrilled to be going to WDW next year (it is a family reunion of sorts) and we have discovered DCL this year which is not a good use of points. We live in Illinois (2 1/2-hrs from an urban airport), so transportation costs can be an issue. We are happy in a value or moderate resort. When I go to a hotel I like it to feel like a hotel, not a condo or apartment. I also like the more "in your face" Disney theming at the resorts. We always book with deals (typically free dining.) We will not go without some sort of promotion as we can't afford to. We like to go during off-season, which is actually high season for DVC. Also, we don't have the money to put down so we would have to finance (even for resale.) For us, the yearly maintenance fees are too high for our current budget and often the cost of hotel is about equivalent to maintenance fees (Again, we don't stay in deluxe.)

I an see how DVC is excellent for some families, but unfortunately ours is just not one of them. I love the idea of DVC, though! Maybe one day!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
snarlingcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
DVC also asks members not to take the pool towels to use in their villas. It takes more the wash the pool towels (all the sunscreen and stuff), so it costs members more.
I've worked for an entertainment complex. . .our pool towels and regular towels were all washed exactly the same. I suspect Disney's are as well. They're ALL parboiled, essentially, in big vats. It's no big secret - so are the sheets. I bet you could look up the laundry process for hotels if you wanted to read more about it.

Really, if there's any difference, room towels and sheets probably have opportunities for the real grotty stuff to get on them that pool towels don't. (Think of something that makes you really, really want to puke. It's probably been on the room towels. The pool towels, not so much.)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've worked for an entertainment complex. . .our pool towels and regular towels were all washed exactly the same. I suspect Disney's are as well. They're ALL parboiled, essentially, in big vats. It's no big secret - so are the sheets. I bet you could look up the laundry process for hotels if you wanted to read more about it.

Really, if there's any difference, room towels and sheets probably have opportunities for the real grotty stuff to get on them that pool towels don't. (Think of something that makes you really, really want to puke. It's probably been on the room towels. The pool towels, not so much.)
Per one of the DVC VP's a few years ago it does cost them more to wash the pool towels than the others.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
Murron
Murron

We enjoy our DVC because it forces a couple of A type personalities to go on vacation. Must use those points!!! Otherwise we'd be the type(s) to be working all the time. That being said, I agree that all it does is pay for a room and all the other expenses are staring at you every trip. But remember, you still have Vero Beach and Hilton Head which do not require those park tickets or trinkets from the parks. And that's exactly what we do. We will do the parks once per year (very frugally (is that a word?) I might add) and then hit those beautiful beaches for "other" vacations. Yes. I think it's worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: