Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Sweet Pea Reed
Mouseketeer

ohana and spirit of aloha

How similar is the food at ohana and the spirit of aloha show? I have reservations at both, but wondered if the meals would be similar. I've never been to either one.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I've never been to Ohana, but I do know others that have been. I went to the luau last year, but I understand the menu has recently changed, so I'm not sure how accurate I'm being. Other than the pineapple-coconut bread-which is yummy- the food is of a similar style, but not identical. You can actually check out both menus here: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm#res Just look for the Polynesian.

You are going to find different dishes at each place. I know one of the big draws at Ohana is the variety of meats they have to choose from. They also apparently have the best dessert in all of Disney World (haven't tried it, but the Disney Food Blog and my family can attest to its greatness). With the Spirit of Aloha, you need to take into consideration that you're also getting a full-on dinner show. If it were me I'd probably be willing to do both, but I also love this type of food.
Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

ohana/spirit of aloha

I've been to both. Ohana last year and SoA a few years ago. I know they've changed the menu since I was there but the food differences were night and day from the selection to the quality IMO.

Ohana was by far the better in both selection, amount and taste. If I had to choose which to go back to, it would be Ohana hands down.

Others have commented how they felt rushed there or that their servers were not attentive. I did not have this experience.
I also have seen other posts stating the meat in Ohana was under or mostly over cooked. I am a VERY well done meat eater and had to ask for my meat to be cooked well done. It was fairly quick and I got my food they way I wanted it.

Yes, the dessert is the best I have had in all of Disney.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The meals are not similar at all.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

We went to Spirit of Aloha on Thanksgiving night and Ohana on Black Friday

the only thing that was the same was the bread
IMO Ohana had better food
the menu has been changed since last year at SoA this year instead of ribs, they had pork loin with a sauce on it and quarter pieces of roasted chicken with sides of rice
We did not enjoy it at all

Ohana has pork dumplings and seasoned chicken wings plus skewers of shrimp, chicken and pork and beef with noodles

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
STLnative
Mouseketeer

(Whoops...sorry, I just realized how old this thread was! I searched for 'Ohana trying to find info about the new menu, then forgot what page I was on when i answered this old post!)

It's a similar style but different enough that I'd have no problem visiting both in one trip. I'd compare it to having reservations at Via Napoli for pizza and Tutto Italia for pasta in one trip. Or Tokyo Dining for sushi and Teppan Edo for hibachi.

What would cross the line for me is going to both 'Ohana and Kona in one trip, becaues too many of the things I love at both places are incredibly similar (wings, noodles, steak).

Last edited by STLnative; 01-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.
STLnative is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: