Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
disneyjes
Mouseketeer

Gluten, Soy and Dairy Free?

Hello! I have celiac disease and a dairy and soy allergy. I'm terrified of eating out so planning our first trip to Disney is pretty scary to me knowing that I will want to try some of the amazing food I've seen on here!

My question is where are the best and worst places to eat while having celiac as well as the soy and dairy allergies. Cross contamination is a huge fear of mine.

Thanks!
Celiac won't keep me from WDW!
disneyjes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Disney is amazing with allergies. Last time we went 2 years ago, I was allergic to peanuts, shellfish, and eggs.

During that trip, we ate at 50s prime time, crystal palace, sunshine season, cosmic rays, pop century food court, flame tree BBQ, and a few other places I can't remember. Outstanding service everywhere.

We are leaving for Disney in 19 days and in addition to peanuts, eggs and shellfish, I am also now allergic to wheat, oats, coconut, broccoli, tree nuts, and sesame. In addition I am very sensitive to soy and dairy so I try to avoid food with those. I also have pretty severe Oral allergy syndrome to most raw fruits and veggies. So it's complicated.

I've eaten at Disneyland with these allergies and they are wonderful. From my experiences, Disney is great about cross contamination issues.

I can give you an update when we get back but right now, we are planning on eating at:
Pop century food court
Crystal palace
The plaza
Whispering canyon cafe
Sci Fi dine in
50s prime time
1900 park fare
Liberty tree tavern
Yachtsman steakhouse
Cosmic rays starlight cafe
Sunshine seasons

I would expect that gluten, soy and dairy would definitely be manageable for Disney especially since they are all top 8 allergens and fairly common so I imagine that they encounter these particular allergies a lot.

But I know there are individuals on these boards with those same allergies and are very helpful so hopefully they will be able to give you some information.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
mistysue
DIS Veteran

DS is allergic to wheat, soy, dairy, egg, peanut, some treenuts, shellfish, sesame and buckwheat.
Most table service places will accommodate you without batting an eyelash.
I recommend NOT going to Hollywood and Vine for breakfast. I know nothing of their lunch/dinner- but at breakfast the ONLY substitution that they chef would do for anything was van's waffles. They contain soy flour. DS is allergic to them and the chef said not to worry, it is "just a little soy". The sausage also was "not a problem, just a little dairy." He then offered to make him some of the dairy containing sausage in the back... an offer of little help when you are allergic to the item itself. I suspect if you ate there you may be having a plate of bacon only.

For counter service, our only trouble was that at HS only backlot express would get DS food that was no-wheat.

I think our most helpful chefs were at Biergarten, POP century, Tusker House, Crystal Palace and Boma... we preferred to go to table service because it seemed like counter service took just as long by the time we ordered and the table service places got to us really fast. We got in and out of most places in under an hour, counterservice would take 45 mins-hour, wasn't as good and except for buffets cost nearly as much.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

Disney is AWESOME with food allergies!!! I have Celiac disease. My mom also has Celiac Disease and is soy-free. Disney is one of the few places we trust to get a safe meal and where I haven't had to worry about cross contamination.

For places to avoid, I'd be cautious about world showcase restaurants as some of them aren't owned by Disney. This means that you probably won't get the Disney level of service and attention to your special dietary needs.

We've had so many awesome meals it's hard to pick our favorites. Chef Mickey's breakfast was one meal that really stood out to us. Many buffets had items that contained soy lecithin, but Chef Mickey's basically avoids using soy. If I'm remembering correctly only one item had soy and it also had gluten in it.

We've been to Disney over 10 times with our special dietary needs and have eaten at most of the restaurants. If you have any questions or want feedback about a specific restaurant, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
happytiggerfan
Earning My Ears

We had the most amazing trip to Disney last January and are returning next week! My mom, sister, and I are all very gluten-intolerant, so cross contamination was a big concern.

We ate at Kouzzina, Chefs de France, 50s Sci-fi Diner and Wolfgang Puck, as well as many quick service counters. Our requests for gluten-free were warmly received and the chefs were so very helpful.

After having many questionable experiences outside of Disney since being diagnosed, we were nervous about finding food on our first trip, but Disney was a breath of fresh air. Sometimes it can take a bit longer to get your food, but it is well worth it. We actually felt rather pampered to get to enjoy so many delicious meals there!

Best wishes on your trip!!
happytiggerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
figmentswife
One little spark will light your fancy

You are going to be SOOOOO Spoiled with good, safe food at Disney that you will never want to leave.

We went just 6 weeks after I was diagnosed this year, and I thought I was going to starve, but I was so spoiled I can't wait to go back.

Think of some specific questions and I am sure people will jump in to help answer.

Where are you staying, what kind of meals are you used to eating - Breakfast, lunch and dinner, or just lunch and dinner???? How many days?
Do you have the dining plan? If so which one, or are you paying OOP? if OOP do you have a budget and if so do you plan to eat 1 table service per day and 1 Counter service.

You get the point.

Give us some more information and it will be much easier to try to help.

But again, you will be SPOILED eating at Disney.
figmentswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
flick
Some girls are just born with pixie dust in their veins!

Try 1900 Park Fare for Dinner. That is where Chef Tj is!
flick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: