Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

What's the Internet, Anyway? Boy, have times changed...

What is the Internet, Anyway?

It's difficult to believe that this was less than 20 years ago. This is footage of news anchors asking what the Internet is on The Today Show. Just think of how much different life would be without it - no podcast, DIS, etc. Boy, have times changed!!!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 11-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
KKDonaldFan
Earning My Ears

I'm sure some of us on the boards can remember our grandparents telling us that "when I was your age, we didn't have electricity/television/an automobile etc...".

Well, we will be the ones who will say to our grandchildren "when I was your age, there was no such thing as the internet..."
KKDonaldFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

For my first adult full time job, there were no computers. Only calculators and typewriters.

The main reason I was hired there was because I could type 62 words per minute with no mistakes and I had Accounting training so I knew how to calculate commissions. I had to figure out and type on carbon paper salesmens commissions and then forward that paperwork to the Accounting Dept. for them to manually write out the checks.

It's amazing to think how different it all is now.

It wasn't until my 2nd job that I learned how to use computers. There was 1 for a Department of 8 people and we all had to take turns using it.

Man, I feel old.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 11-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKDonaldFan View Post
I'm sure some of us on the boards can remember our grandparents telling us that "when I was your age, we didn't have electricity/television/an automobile etc...".

Well, we will be the ones who will say to our grandchildren "when I was your age, there was no such thing as the internet..."
Sadly, I do not have to imagine what life would be like without internet...I remember it.

My friend's daughter saw a corded phone on TV and asked what it was. She found the idea of staying near the phone amusing. When we got to the part about people going upstairs and yelling down so that someone could hang up the other phone, she got that look of unbelieving bewilderment.

I also remember how loud and annoying fax machines were when they first began using them. We hated our sales guy for doing that all the time and a memo was even issued that faxing was to be limited because it was distracting to the rest of the office, lol.

Stuff like this makes me feel very old.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Ha! What did we do back then when somone said "what was the name of that actor in that movie"?! Now we just google it! So many things make me feel old. I dropped a bunch of change in my local lunch place yesterday and a nice (younger) stranger helped pick up the change with me. I joked that it was mostly pennies which, now, are pretty much useless unless you still have a record player and you need a penny for the needle. He looked at me like a deer in headlights. Yup, I'm old.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I miss the smell of a freshly mimeographed paper. Ah, the purple monster. Sigh.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal

I also remember how loud and annoying fax machines were when they first began using them. We hated our sales guy for doing that all the time and a memo was even issued that faxing was to be limited because it was distracting to the rest of the office, lol.

Stuff like this makes me feel very old.
I can remember working for a good size company and having just one machine for 200 employees -we had to send the faxes to the mail room, then one person was responsible to send them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom
I miss the smell of a freshly mimeographed paper. Ah, the purple monster. Sigh.
Great memories!! There are people here I'm sure wondering what that would smell like.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

Man..I do feel old!!

I have some records(those big blacks circular things that play music) and some of my kids asked me what they were and I told them...they were shocked!! I also remember the pager/beepers and how you had to rush to get to a pay phone or sit by the phone at home..
I also remember waiting for someone to get off the phone BEFORE call waiting..
I remember VCR and how you had to record shows on there and either stop it yourself or program it and hopefully it'll stop on its own...

Man...I could go on and on about this....
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: