DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Your experience with calling day by day at 7 months?

We are leaving for a trip on July 1. Our 7 month window for changing the resort begins on December 1. It is my understanding that I can book 7 night at that point. Since I need 12 nights, I guess I have to call day-by-day to add that extra room.

This day-by-day thing worries me, as I guess it is possible that I will get some days and not others. Any tips for tilting the odds in my favor?

Part of me was thinking that perhaps I should just book the first 7 days and then wait until 5 days later to call for the remainder of the days. Even though my odds might be lower, it will be less of a hassle and I can simply move to another resort with vacancy if nothing is available in my chosen resort.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
We are leaving for a trip on July 1. Our 7 month window for changing the resort begins on December 1. It is my understanding that I can book 7 night at that point. Since I need 12 nights, I guess I have to call day-by-day to add that extra room.

This day-by-day thing worries me, as I guess it is possible that I will get some days and not others. Any tips for tilting the odds in my favor?

Part of me was thinking that perhaps I should just book the first 7 days and then wait until 5 days later to call for the remainder of the days. Even though my odds might be lower, it will be less of a hassle and I can simply move to another resort with vacancy if nothing is available in my chosen resort.
YOUR villa will be locked by you for new check-ins until 7 months before your checkout date. The only people who you would be competing against for your extra 5 days are those who are also extending out their 7 day vacation. So, unless you are booking a really hard to get room (AKV concierge, BWV standard view, etc) I would just wait until 5 days and book them all at once.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
YOUR villa will be locked by you for new check-ins until 7 months before your checkout date. The only people who you would be competing against for your extra 5 days are those who are also extending out their 7 day vacation. So, unless you are booking a really hard to get room (AKV concierge, BWV standard view, etc) I would just wait until 5 days and book them all at once.
Not really true for 7 month booking. You are only guaranteed (locked in) to get your extra nights if you are booking at the 11 month window.

At 7 months, there is no guarantee for two reasons:

1. Any or all of the nights you might want to add could have been previously reserved by a member who owns at the resort you prefer. So for example, even though ten "7 month bookers" got their first 7 nights, there easily could be a lot less than 10 nights available to those who want to add more nights to their vacations. This will be especially true for early December reservations.

2. Home resort owners can still rearrange their bookings and snatch up any or all of the nights you need. It's probably not very likely since most home resort owners will already have booked what they need, but it can and does happen. Again, early December is one the most difficult times of the year to book DVC at 7 months.

Rutgers1 - My advice is to plan on calling day by day if you can secure the first 7 nights. Good luck!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Not really true for 7 month booking. You are only guaranteed (locked in) to get your extra nights if you are booking at the 11 month window.
Duh. Was thinking 11-month window and not 7-month window.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Good luck to you. Sometimes that time of year can be a little tough depending on the resort and booking category. It may be worthwhile to call day by day. Hopefully you will get your reservation.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the replies. I will call day-by-day.

The good news is that, although we would prefer one resort, I am not married to that idea. We are traveling with my sister's family, and they would be happy anywhere.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

My advice is don't call.

Booking online gives you a 1 hour advantage over others who call.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
My advice is don't call.

Booking online gives you a 1 hour advantage over others who call.

Bill
I think they want to book the 7 days then add the extra 5 possibly at day at a time.

While technically those that own at that resort could snatch the last few days out from under you, this is not very likely. You should be OK calling every couple of days and adding the additional time unless those last few days are far more in demand for some reason. An alternative is to book the 7 days, then 5 days later book a separate reservation for 7 days later dropping the first 2 days and linking the reservations.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I think they want to book the 7 days then add the extra 5 possibly at day at a time.

While technically those that own at that resort could snatch the last few days out from under you, this is not very likely. You should be OK calling every couple of days and adding the additional time unless those last few days are far more in demand for some reason. An alternative is to book the 7 days, then 5 days later book a separate reservation for 7 days later dropping the first 2 days and linking the reservations.
IMO, the key point is that the OP is trying to book 12 nights in early December at 7 months. (The desired reservation appears to begin on Sunday 12/1/2013). It is highly unlikely that there will be 7 consecutive nights available for that time for any resort except SSR and depending on room type/size, maybe OKW & AKV. If the OP is fortunate enough to book the first 7 nights, the chances of the next consecutive 5 being available are not great, either, so calling day by day will give him/her the better chance.

Here is a well done "study" for 7 month booking "actuals" for December 2012:

December Time: Results at 7 Months out (Updated for End of December, post #19)

Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
disneynutz

You can book a day at a time online. You will end up with several travel plans but if you send a contact request to MS when you are finished, they will link the travel plans creating one reservation.

I have found that putting MS requests in writing results in less errors.

Bill

Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
IMO, the key point is that the OP is trying to book 12 nights in early December at 7 months. (The desired reservation appears to begin on Sunday 12/1/2013). It is highly unlikely that there will be 7 consecutive nights available for that time for any resort except SSR and depending on room type/size, maybe OKW & AKV. If the OP is fortunate enough to book the first 7 nights, the chances of the next consecutive 5 being available are not great, either, so calling day by day will give him/her the better chance.

OP is calling on Dec 1, 2012, for a July 1, 2013 reservation. Which is still prime time given that its going to be during 4th of July, but not quite as bad as trying to book early December.

I'm also guessing that OP doesn't have enough points to book both reservations online, (as it sounds like they already have desired days at a home resort and are looking to switch) then call to cancel each day an hour later when MS opens, hence why they are calling and not booking online.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I apologize. The above is correct for a December reservation, but a re-read of the OP leads me to believe the desired reservation is to begin on July 1, 2013 (not December 1, 2013).

July is a much easier time to be booking at 7 months than is December, even the week containing the 4th . I'd probably do what Bill suggested if I were the one making the reservation.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

The trip is planned for July 1-12. I will start calling December 1.

I didn't even think of booking online. What time can I book online? Someone mentioned getting a 1-hour head start.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Carol, regardless of the time of year, IF they get the first 7 days, there isn't a large chance of losing out on the last 5 even if you wait 5 days to add it all at once. The exception is that if the last 5 days fall into a high demand time when the first doesn't. Of course it could happen and there are risks.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
The trip is planned for July 1-12. I will start calling December 1.

I didn't even think of booking online. What time can I book online? Someone mentioned getting a 1-hour head start.
8AM Eastern

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: