Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

Do both! - just kidding, although dh and I are planning to do both next year. Of course we will be staying with my brother who lives in Hawaii, so its not going to be that expensive for us to go. Planning to return to WDW in September too.
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I love Disney. We go almost every year, but given the choice, I would do Hawaii. We went there for our honeymoon, and it was amazing, but it is cost prohibitive for us to go there every year and traveling there is difficult as it is a long haul.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
ladyfoundhertramp
Mouseketeer

Disneys Aulani is beautiful-- you can get the best of both vacations. It is not all inclusive but there really aren't many in Hawaii. PM me for more info about this destination

ladyfoundhertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Let me just say if I were given that choice I would have looked at my husband like he had two heads! My kids (4 and 18 months) are little terrors! I love them, but the thought of a beach vacation (especially an expensive one like Hawaii) sounds like a nightmare to me right now!! I love beaches. But when I'm at a beach I want to relax and my kiddos offer me very little relaxing time!I'd be chasing them endlessly, plus diapers and sand are never a good combo! And don't even get me started on being on a plane with them for that long! I know you have the 4 older ones too, but honestly if I were you I'd plan the Disney trip this time and wait until your littlest is potty trained.

mommy2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
taitai
DIS Veteran

All our best vacations when our kids were small were beach vacations. It is so easy, especially if you rent a condo or house. You can cook, kids can nap, lots of space for everyone. Hands down, I would go to Hawaii. There are enough activities and excursions to keep the older kids happy and engaged and the beach would be fun for the little one.

Have fun!
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
scjo68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Price Hawaii.

There likely won't be an all inclusive and you'll probably discover its a lot more expensive than Disney. Just room tax in Hawaii adds a lot. Airfare to Hawaii is usually a killer.

The other downside for Hawaii is from the middle of the country, you are looking at probably eleven hours of travel - with a toddler and a six year old. A lap baby for twelve hours of travel would send me over the edge.

That said, Hawaii is a great vacation - really lovely and worthwhile once you get there. Its beautiful and relaxing and there is a ton of stuff to do. But Hawaii was way more expensive for us - on the cheap - than our luxury Disney vacations.
These are my thoughts exactly!
We loved Hawaii when we went. We had family there at the time, and stayed with them, so we did not pay for accomodations. And we didn't eat out that much, other than one luau. And still, paying for mostly airfare, and a few attraction admissions, the Hawaii trip was more expensive than our WDW trips have been.

And time on the plane was brutal. Seemed to take forever. We always drive to WDW, which I prefer to flying. This is my opinion, though, and not all may agree with it. In fact, our drive to WDW takes about the same amount of time as a flight to Hawaii. (Our flight was actually was way longer because of significant delays but it should have been about the same). But I would much rather do 12 hours in the car, where we are in control- than in a plane/airport where we have no control or privacy.

I would carefully consider your mode of travel with a toddler. I cannot imagine traveling to Hawaii with a toddler. Even flying to WDW- you would arrive in a much shorter amount of time.

So while I think the actual experience of Hawaii would be a better choice than WDW, I would probably choose WDW while the youngest is still a toddler, and choose Hawaii later, when travel will be easier.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY4DL
Oooh please explain about cottages! That sounds wonderful!
Well, you can rent a regular sized house, or you can rent a small cottage, which are really cute and comfy! They usually have kitchenettes so you can eat at home, which saves money. There's a lot of sites you can check out to find the right one.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
christygobar
Mouseketeer

I'd vote for Hawaii too! Tons of family things to do. I loved Maui, but I think there is a lot on Oahu (I've only been to Maui and the Big Island). I bet your teens would love it!

Edited to say - maybe since you both have different ideas, bring the kids together to confer and ask what they would like to do?

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (<1)
christygobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
mobesfamily
Mouseketeer

Hubby & I have been to Hawaii 2x, both BK (before kids), one trip stayed on Oahu (LOTS to do) and the second was a cruise. Awesome, beautiful, fun, relaxing!
That being said, we would love to take our twins but not until they are MUCH older - maybe 10-12. The flight was the killer for me and I can't imagine it with young kids. The time difference was also a biggie - we left the east coast around 8am, traveled for 12 hours (3hrs to Chicago, change planes, 8 hrs to Oahu) and arrived in Oahu at 2pm (9pm our time) and killed ourselves to stay up until 8pm. The cost for the flight alone might be what you'd pay for just a hotel on property in WDW.
I would definitely go to WDW and save the Hawaii trip until the little one is a LEAST out of diapers.

1st trip EVER 10/2004 ASMo, Girls 1st trip 10/2012 AKL, 2/2013 AKL, 1/2014 BW & BLT

mobesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #25
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
I've been in the early stages of planing a family vacation to Disney for next Fall. It will be the first big get away for our blended family of 5 kiddos- 4 from precious marriages & our sweet baby girl who will be 16 months old at the time of our trip. I haven't been to Disney since I was a little girl (I've only been once), my boys (7 & 9) have never been- my husband loves Disney & has been 6 times, most recently in 2009 with his kids (now 14 & 16).
Well... My husband comes to me last night & asks, "Can we all go to Hawaii instead of Disney?" Gosh I don't know!!? When I think Hawaii I don't think family vacation!? But he really wants to go- none of us have ever been. We would find an all inclusive package at a resort somewhere- spend about what we would spend going to Disney. I don't know what to do- decisions decisions!! What would you do!??
We've been to both Hawaii and WDW many times and I would vote for WDW this time. Save Hawaii for a romantic trip for two. We took our daughters, age 15 and 17, on a trip to Hawaii. We stayed at a nice condo on Mauii and all they did was complain for the first four days. They finally got into the trip after they discovered how much fun snorkeling was. But unless you can stay at a place where the teens can have something they like to do besides sitting on the beach all day, I'd go for WDW.

The two vacations are like night and day. And the flight to Hawaii is really long. The time change throws babies off schedule, so the little one will be waking up in the middle of the night.

We love Hawaii and have a great time when we go. But it is always a romantic trip for two. When we want to spend time with family we go to WDW, where everyone can do their own thing in a safe environment, and the memories are wonderful.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

I'm sure the 14 and 16 yo would have more fun, but it will be a NIGHTMARE for you and the 16 month old. I can't imagine having to sit at the beach with a toddler every day for a week. I can handle a few hours for 1 day, but no way would I want to take to a toddler to an ISLAND, lol. And trust me, it will just be YOU watching her, your husband will be off surfing with the older kids, etc. (been there, done that, never again.) Not to mention, the PLANE RIDE, ugh. Does not sound fun to me.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: