Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
mommycal
Mouseketeer

souvenirs from home?

are things really that pricey at the world?? I know, stop laughing at me

W/that said, what do you bring for the kids from home to surprise them as souvenirs?
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycal View Post
are things really that pricey at the world?? I know, stop laughing at me

W/that said, what do you bring for the kids from home to surprise them as souvenirs?
yes I do- I found a Mickey Spinner light on Ebay for 3 bucks. THey want 25 bucks for it in the parks.

When we are sitting-- waiting-- i bring something out.

I get the glow bracelets for night time parades.

I get pirate stuff when we are over there. so much cheaper.

and the kids are young enough they have no clue to want what everyone else has
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

I guess for me I just don't want my kids too long in the gift stores. I've already picked up some Disney sunglasses, little books, etc. Plus it allows me to pick out small items that won't be too heavy. Many packages have several bracelets and rings that can be broken down and wrapped up for the day.
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I also bring my own light up/glow toys from the dollar store. My DS is young enough that he just sees "oooh, flashy!" and doesn't know to want the "official" one.

I also picked up a stuffed Nemo today at the Disney Store - it was on sale, and I know my son is going to want a new stuffed friend when he's surrounded with them at WDW. I plan to give him his Nemo at the airport or on the plane, and hope that it'll keep him from wanting every new "friend" that we see along the way. It probably won't. But at least I got one toy that I KNOW that he'll want for sure, for about half the price that it'll be in WDW.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Nothing.

It's not a souvenir if you buy it in the Dollar Store at home. I know that's fine for some people, but not for me.

I know someone mentioned "Glo Sticks", but I don't consider those "souvenirs" anyway. Souvenirs are things like toys, stuffed animals, shirts, etc.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

Dollar Tree always has Disney stuff, which is fun for the plane/car ride over, or a little surprise left on their pillow at night, etc. The coloring books and puzzles are particularly cute IMO. Its nice for younger kids, especially when they want everything they see in the park. And I always bring my own light-up bracelets for night.

I don't care at all if its bought INSIDE the park or not. Last time we went to Disneyland, I bought my kids souvenirs from the Disney Store beforehand...those stuffed character pillows, the girls' princess dresses and accessories, and Pirates of the Caribbean sword and hat for my son. (In fact, I think the sword was from Walmart, even.) I also bought the girls each one of the Princess Animator Dolls.

Trust me, none of them cared where they came from. And they thought it was so fun to get to the hotel each night and see what was left for them by "Tinkerbell." There's no reason to pay the upcharge for Disney items inside the park when you can buy Disney items outside the park for way less (and even more cute sometimes!). Its all made in the same crappy factory in China anyway.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
candielips
DIS Veteran

The only thing we bring from home are things to entertain the kids like glo sticks and things to color while waiting. We also bring some souvenirs we still have from previous trips, like our misting fan and light up spinners.

I do not find the price of all the toys that expensive. In fact, some things are cheaper than toys r us. I find the clothes to be extremely expensive. So we never buy those.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: