Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Goofy101798
Earning My Ears

Dining Plan Debate

We leave in a couple of weeks with my cousin's family. Both families have the dining plan for 7 days. We have made 11 T.S. ADR's. I want to scale back to 7. However, my cousin wants to keep the 11. I think it defeats the purpose of buying the dining plan.

Do you pay OOP for meals beyond the DDP, or do you keep to the plan??
Goofy101798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

I never pay out of pocket when using the dining plan or deluxe dining. The one exception was CRT.
29 trips to Disney World and counting...next stop...POFQ March 2014
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

If the TS credits are used to maximize the benefits, there's nothing "wrong" with paying OOP for the cheapest 4 TS reservations. It's definitely better than upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan just to cover those extra meals, which would waste all the other credits on QS.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
If the TS credits are used to maximize the benefits, there's nothing "wrong" with paying OOP for the cheapest 4 TS reservations. It's definitely better than upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan just to cover those extra meals, which would waste all the other credits on QS.
This is what we have done in the past. We'll normally just pay OOP for the cheapest 1 or 2 extra reservations that we've made.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

In the past when we have used the dining plan, we would only book one extra breakfast on the day we leave usually Boma and pay OOP for Boma Breakfast.

Other than that, If you are using the (DDP) dining plan you should use all your credits (TS & CS)or it is not worth it.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
deakam
DIS Veteran

I have never paid out of pocket when on a dining plan. I have considered oop for a character breakfast but after re-arranging I did not have to. 11 table service meals in 7 nights seems like a lot of food to me. We usually end up with extra counter service because we split a few meals. If I were doing some signature dinners then I would probably pay oop for one or 2 meals but I don't think I would want to spend that much time eating.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Haven't paid OOP before, but we will be our next trip. We have 11 TS credits for each to us. I have the Garden View Tea Room booked which does not accept the dining plan so we will be paying for that. Then I am still over by 1 TS credit per person so I will be paying for something else OOP......haven't decided what yet......

Then I started obsessing on my trip after that (Dec 2014) because there is still stuff I haven't done such as the Garden Grill, and I am over on credits for that already so it looks like I will be paying 2 TS credits OOP for each person. Hey, it is vacation! And yes, I am way too obsessive on dining plans.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You don't have to go with them to the 4 extra meals.

That said, it's pretty common for guests to overbook on the DDP and pay for the cheapest meals out of pocket. It's all about what you want. I'm guessing that you and your cousin want different things at this point.

Do you have the plan for 7 days or 7 nights? The credits allocate based on the number of nights you stay - not days.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
MomToPirate&Princess
Mouseketeer

We never pay OOP for TS when on the dining plan. The number of TS meals and CS meals allotted is plenty for us. If it happens to work out that we will be there long enough on arrival/departure that we need more meals or we are doing a 2 credit TS meal, we make up the difference by paying OOP for CS or by sharing a CS meal or two during our stay. I always calculate it out precisely to ensure we don't end up at the end of our stay with anything leftover on the Dining Plan or I feel like we've lost the savings the DDP gave us in the first place.
MomToPirate&Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
ericstac
DIS Veteran

We have the dining plan for our upcoming trip. I believe we are paying out of pocket for like 13 reservations because the plan only allows for 11 TS. I figured out which ones are the less expensive (ie Kona for breakfast, The Plaza, etc.) and will OOP those..

nothing wrong with that at all. i did look at upgrading the the deluxe but a lot of ours are either breakfast or buffet, all you can eat style reservations so there really isn't a savings or added benefit to getting the deluxe.
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Not having read through this thread, I will give you my conclusion as we too are about to go and had initially bought the DP (5 nights) for my fam of 5 while 10 of my inlaws are planning to use SIL1's TIW card.

We cancelled the DP as we had 6 TS ADRs over the 5 days and 1 of the 6 was a signature...so 7 TS credits and we were going to need to pay OOP for the signature (which does take DVC 10% discount, so there was that). But I will get and use the TIW card which I was leery to do since we have Ohana booked for 12/24 and that's a black out date for TIW. But after using some calculator (I think I found on the DIS but may have been another forum) I found that the DP was still a tad more expensive than TIW (even paying full price for Ohana and even including cost of TIW card) and that I could even add 2 more TS lunches and come out even with DP cost. Since we are there at a super busy time and we have FP+ in late afternoon around our dinner ADRs, I figured we may have time on our hands around lunch time anyway. And since we are going with all the inlaws and had lots of input on our 5 TS dinners, there were some that I'd not have chosen and some that I have really been wanting to try but the inlaws said no to (VN and Sanaa...so that's the 2 TS lunches I added). I think DP makes no sense if you will do more than 1 extra TS....as you will have a ton of CS left over unless you can use them for breakfast...and I find 3 meals at Disney is just too much.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Goofy101798
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. I think we're going to pay for the less expensive meals oop. There are restaurants we HAVE to hit. I'm sure you can relate!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I would want to make sure that the other meals were being used. Otherwise the plan might not be a savings at all.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I would want to make sure that the other meals were being used. Otherwise the plan might not be a savings at all.
This would be my worry. With four extra TS meals, that means you have four QS to be used somewhere. I have a feeling you'll end up paying more by buying the DDP and then paying OOP for extra meals than you would just going OOP for everything.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Goofy101798
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You don't have to go with them to the 4 extra meals.

That said, it's pretty common for guests to overbook on the DDP and pay for the cheapest meals out of pocket. It's all about what you want. I'm guessing that you and your cousin want different things at this point.

Do you have the plan for 7 days or 7 nights? The credits allocate based on the number of nights you stay - not days.
I thought about it again last night. We're not going to do the extra meals. My goofy cousin can do whatever he wants with HIS money!!! We'd rather put our money to better use!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: