Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Taking ME from MCO - is it worth it?

DH has already rented a minivan (we will be staying in Orlando after our stay at WDW) so we weren't planning on using ME to get to our resort.

Now i'm wondering if we are missing out on some magic by not taking this opportunity. Is it a big deal?? See kids ages in my sig. DH could always go get the van & meet us at the resort and i could go with the kids???

WDYT?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
ruthfamilyvacationer
Mouseketeer

Not sure we'll use ME again....our luggage just took way too long to reach us. Like, 6 hours. Not again. We were all kind of cranky from a long day of traveling and really just wanted fresh clothes. Plus DH said the wait to leave the airport was too long. I was fine (about the wait at the airport), he is very impatient.
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Last year when we went, my daughter loved being on the bus because there were little portholes and they had tvs playing Disney stuff. It was the perfect amount of distraction that got us from the airport to the hotel with little to no "are we there yet" questions.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Approximately how long is the ride?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

I want to say about 20 minutes/half hour...or at least that's how long it felt like. I live by the clock 24/7 at home -- on vacation I dont even wear a watch. lol

ETA: I googled it and it said 30-45 minutes. Its 20 miles from airport to WDW main entrance.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I love DME, but I don't want the hassal of a car/van. I like being able to just relax and not worry about driving in an area i'm unfamiliar with. I think your kids would really like the video's but at the end of the day it really is just a bus with a cool video. Yes sometimes there are a little bit of a wait and it does take about 30-40 minutes to get from MCO to your resort depending on how many prior stops the bus makes and you do have to wait for your checked luggage but for me it really does take a lot of the headache out of vacation planning. I'd say since you already rented the mini van just use that for this trip and maybe catch DME on your next trip, thats my humble opinion! :-).

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthfamilyvacationer View Post
Not sure we'll use ME again....our luggage just took way too long to reach us. Like, 6 hours. Not again. We were all kind of cranky from a long day of traveling and really just wanted fresh clothes. Plus DH said the wait to leave the airport was too long. I was fine (about the wait at the airport), he is very impatient.
If the wait for luggage is a concern, you can pick up your bags yourself and they'll be loaded on the DME bus with you. Just don't put the yellow DME tags on your bags before checking them at your home airport.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
If the wait for luggage is a concern, you can pick up your bags yourself and they'll be loaded on the DME bus with you. Just don't put the yellow DME tags on your bags before checking them at your home airport.
I didn't know this. We'll be getting there early enough to do this...not that I've ever had problem waiting long for luggage.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDanielle85 View Post
at the end of the day it really is just a bus with a cool video.
And there's no guarantee that the videos will be playing on your bus, it's been hit or miss when I've used DME.

OP, I wouldn't bother with DME. You may have a bit of a wait at the airport while the bus fills up, and then your husband will be hanging out at the resort waiting for you. There's nothing spectacular about the bus itself, it's just your typical bus, that may or may not play a Disney video.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
ruthfamilyvacationer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good to know!!! THanks!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

I would say it depends on how much you are planning on using the van during your stay at WDW...

If you plan on using the van & then you might as well drive to your resort. IMO Being apart from DH & meeting him at the resort would take away more than ME would add.

If you don't plan on driving while staying at WDW, I would take ME. I like the simplicity of getting on, seeing the video & being dropped off at the front door of the resort. You might even be able to save some $ by renting fewer days & I think some companies will drop the van off to you on your departure day.
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
This is what we do, but we are just two adults. The baggage carousel happened to be on the opposite side of the airport from where you board ME, so we had to drag our bags up the escalator, across the airport, then down the escalator. Would have been a lot worse if we had kids in tow. However, we don't mind doing it so we know we have our bags with us and don't have to wait.

As for whether or not you should take ME, when are you arriving? We've arrived on a Thursday morning and had no wait and go to the resort in about 40 minutes. Another time, we arrived on a Saturday morning and it was much busier and had to stand in line through two bus loads, so it took about an hour and a half. If you're arriving at an off time, I have heard of Mears (the shuttle company that runs DME) sending a Mears van and not the ME bus to pick up people, if they aren't expecting a full bus load. I'd hate to go through the hassle of ME only to be put on a shuttle van. I'd say it's probably not worth it.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies.

I think we will skip it. Sounds like too many unknown variables. Plus, really, who am i kidding thinking i could do that on my own with all 5? LOL

There will be enough magic once we get there!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

With 5 kids, I'm just not sure. How many checked bags will you have? Part of me says let DME take all your checked luggage and you and 2-3 of your kids ride DME with you. Your DH and the other children can take the carry ons and get the van. My DD, who is now 18, has enjoyed the DME busses -- it's sort of the official start to our trip. We've only had one time out of many where the video didn't work. I don't think I'd want to take 5 kids on DME without another adult though. One of the best parts about DME is how they handle your checked luggage. We always make sure to pack what we'll need for the next 24 hours in our carry ons (which you should do regardless). We've had a few times where our bags beat us to the room, but typically we go to a themepark and when we get back to our room, the bags are there. If we arrive late, I will usually ask that the bags be held until the next morning.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
DH has already rented a minivan (we will be staying in Orlando after our stay at WDW) so we weren't planning on using ME to get to our resort.

Now i'm wondering if we are missing out on some magic by not taking this opportunity. Is it a big deal?? See kids ages in my sig. DH could always go get the van & meet us at the resort and i could go with the kids???

WDYT?
Going to your resort from the airport can be a pain, especially if you get stuck making a bunch of stops at other resorts (ours is guaranteed to be the last stop - ALWAYS). But going back to the airport is another story; I love being able to check in with the airline while at the resort and then being able to go straight to security upon arrival at the aiport.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: