DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Maybe I've missed something, but aren't you going to need a 2 bedroom villa very soon?

Do you need the 11 month window at BLT to get what you want for the time you want? If so, my advice is to stay with BLT and really look at buying direct. You are only buying 50 points so the difference in price (dues will be the same no matter how you buy) gets you the points quickly and you want them for 2014. 11 month windows for 2014 trips start opening in February, 2013 less than 3 months away.

If you get a different resort, you will be booking part of your 2 bedroom trip at 7 months, doing a split stay or alternating resorts.

If you decide to alternate by banking and borrowing, will a 50 point contract get you the villa size and length of trip you prefer? And if you are going to bank and borrow, chances are good that you will have a few leftover points that you cannot use. Will you be OK with letting them expire unused?

Given what you say you want to do with the extra points, my advice is to buy BLT so you can consistently book the 2 bedrooms there during the home resort priority booking period. For the last minutes trips, home resort won't matter (except for the dues). Is the few hundred $$ you might save on 50 points at SSR vs BLT worth it? I wonder. Wouldn't be for me.

Good luck!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008

Last edited by CarolMN; 11-29-2012 at 08:49 AM.
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but aren't you going to need a 2 bedroom villa very soon?
We don't really need a 2BR until after August 2014. Because we're buying the DVC PAP, our 2013 trips would be June 2013 / Nov 2013 / Early 2014 (maybe March) so we don't really need to go 2BR until our 2015 trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Do you need the 11 month window at BLT to get what you want for the time you want? If so, my advice is to stay with BLT and really look at buying direct. You are only buying 50 points so the difference in price (dues will be the same no matter how you buy) gets you the points quickly and you want them for 2014. 11 month windows for 2014 trips start opening in February, 2013 less than 3 months away.

If you get a different resort, you will be booking part of your 2 bedroom trip at 7 months, doing a split stay or alternating resorts.

If you decide to alternate by banking and borrowing, will a 50 point contract get you the villa size and length of trip you prefer? And if you are going to bank and borrow, chances are good that you will have a few leftover points that you cannot use. Will you be OK with letting them expire unused?

Given what you say you want to do with the extra points, my advice is to buy BLT so you can consistently book the 2 bedrooms there during the home resort priority booking period. For the last minutes trips, home resort won't matter (except for the dues). Is the few hundred $$ you might save on 50 points at SSR vs BLT worth it? I wonder. Wouldn't be for me.
Good luck!
If I do a BLT add-on, yes I would have to only get 50 points. And yes, I do think I'd have to do a 50 point BLT with April UY direct - small points, specific UY, tough to get in resale unless I'm lucky and/or fast.

If I buy a different resort, I would have to buy big enough to use them for 11 months on that resort, so most likely 150.

I haven't actually done the Math on those two options. I felt I had 2 years to decide until I absolutely need it. I"ve been reading a lot of the valuation threads to understand how people have been pricing.

BLT 50 points @ $165/pt = $8250
$8250 could get me about 125-130 SSR/BWV points @ $60-$65/pt

I have to figure out MFs on this. I know I would have to pay higher MFs on the higher points, which is why I was reluctant to buy SSR because of fear that if I do get extra points, that I can't rent it out. So maybe BWV is better even if a little expensive.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far! It's really helping me narrow down my decisions.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
....(snip)........I have to figure out MFs on this. I know I would have to pay higher MFs on the higher points, which is why I was reluctant to buy SSR because of fear that if I do get extra points, that I can't rent it out. So maybe BWV is better even if a little expensive.........
BWV is definitely better if you plan to rent on more than an occasional basis. Many are willing to pay more to get reservations at the BWV - especially during Food & Wine and the Holiday season (Thx - NY). As an example, Daddio (point broker) is always looking for BWV points. I don't recall him ever advertising for SSR points. Don't get me wrong, SSR points do rent and many love the resort. But BWV points will rent faster and bring in a premium.

Good luck with your decision.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Have been looking at the resale market and I think I am ready to make the plunge!!!

ETA: I just made an offer for 150 pts at OKW. Cross fingers!
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Last edited by myxdvz; 12-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.
myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: