Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

special dietary requestd

hi all...i know i can make special dietary requests for my husband who is lactose intolerant, but i can't for the life of me remember if we made the request when booking the dining reservations or if we called prior and had them add a note to our reservation. Also my husband wants to hear from you all what they do for dietary requests at counter service places...apparently my answer wasn't good enough lol

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (POP)

fallen_angel727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

You can note allergies when making dining reservations. I am assuming you could do the same for intolerances. WDW is great at handling common food allergies and special dietary requests.

At CS places you ask to look at an ingredient book, and then choose the food available that meets your dietary needs, sometimes with the assistance of the manager. It often takes a longer to go through the ordering process or to receive your food, so allow extra time for dining. Have a great trip!

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 14)

_
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
fallen_angel727

Thanks so much, it's not a terrible intolerance bu 4 people are sharing a room at POP so we would much prefer if there was no dairy

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (POP)

Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

i have multiple allergies inc lasctose and never had any issues at TS meals, chefs came out and discussed my issues, either walked me through the buffet and confirmed what i could/couldnt eat.. prepared alternatives or in some cases, just asked me what i wanted!! a special shout out to Boma where they prepared similar dishes to reg ones (eg im allergic to pineapple which is iin the salad dressing so he made me a similar one using OJ). wdw is amazing for allergies and eating out there has ruined it for me anywhere else lol!
CS eateries where alittle more difficult (none of my allergies are life threatening and im not hyper sensitive (ie cross contamination) so examined menus in all parks and established "safe" meals i could eat... never had an issue.. the only thing with CS is to take your time before you get there to make wise choices, and be aware alot of recipes are available on the net now so you can look at ingredients without needing to see books on site and waste valuable holiday time. HTH
tracy
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
bookluvingbabe
Mouseketeer

And if you've already made your reservations, you can call and add the info to each reservation.

Had to do that last week--all our ADRs were made and DS was just formally diagnosed with a peanut allergy. The CM I spoke to was great (once I convinced her it was really just peanuts and tree nuts were fine. He eats those every day!)
bookluvingbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
PrincessSamanthaC
Mouseketeer

My mom is gluten intolerant and on our trip this past august whether it was CS or TS they were so accommodating and every single time either the chef came to our table or the server already had a gluten free menu. It was great

Nov 05' ASM, Nov 07' PC, Oct 09' CS, Nov 10' AKL Oct 11' BC, Aug 12' BC Aug 13' BC, Aug 14' GF
PrincessSamanthaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
AuntPol
Earning My Ears

I forgot to mention my shellfish allergy a few times and just mentioned it to server. The chef comes out and explains what might have cross-contamination issues, etc. I was very pleased with how Disney handled allergies at Table Service.

I don't know how they handle Quick service as my allergy is not as complicated as dairy or peanuts so it wasn't needed.
AuntPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
Littlenemo
Mouseketeer

This is such a relief for me. I've just found out I am coeliac and was worried what I'd have in store on my next disney trip.

This is really reassuring.

WDW Orlando

August 1998 : Radisson Resort Parkway
August 2000 : Westgate Villas
September 2011 : QII on I-drive
September 2012 : QII on I-drive

Disneyland Paris
September 2014 : Santa Fe Taking the baby to Disney!
Littlenemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

There is definitely no cause for worry. This is one of the things that Disney does best!

My sons both have multiple anaphylactic (life threatening) food allergies. They have to carry their epi pens with them everywhere they go, and we have to triple check every morsel that goes in their mouths, and then we have to check again for any possibility of cross contamination. Needless to say eating out happens very, very rarely for us, and is extremely stressful. Except for at the Disney parks, where their policies and training are so good that my sons can enjoy restaurants right along with the other kids.

Just communicate your needs clearly, accept that there will be limitations to what they can do, double check everything yourself (even Disney can make mistakes), and be patient and you will have a great and food-safe trip!

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 14)

_
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

What does he do at home? Does he just ask for things like cheese and sauce to be left off his food and not bother beyond or does he avoid all traces of dairy or does he do something in between? Does he drink lactose free milk and eat foods with milk cooked or baked in? At WDW, he should continue to do what he does at home. If he only leaves obvious dairy off his food then just ask your server to do the same because it really is a LOT easier not to mention faster. If he avoids all traces of dairy then treat is an allergy and speak with chefs. At Disney owned restaurants, he can even ask if he can get soy cheese on his food or soy or rice ice cream. He can get these without having to go through the hassle of dealing with a chef or manager.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
jlr9882
Mouseketeer

My son is 6-year-old and has over 20 allergies! He is allergic to most everything on the kid's meals, and we were on the DDP when we went in Aug. 2011. We stayed at POP, and the chef there was great! I believe now he is at AOA. He had order extra food to have on hand for my son, and prepared several of his QS lunches to go so he could enjoy them while we waited for the bus. Resorts should be able to do more for you, since it should be listed on your reservation that you are staying there. When my son ate QS at the parks it will a little harder, but he did eat and had plenty of food. At MK, the family decided to eat at Cosmic Ray's. There was nothing he could have there, so the chef and manager went to Columbia Harbour House and brought back not one but two meals for him! They wanted to make sure he had plenty to eat. When we went to AK, we all ate at Flame Tree and again there was nothing he could have there. I walked over with the manager to yak and yeti, and there wasn't anything there for him. The manager went to Tusker House after that, and brought back tons of food for him. TS were a lot easier. The chef came to our table walked us around the buffet if there was one to get some ideas, and then made his food fresh. I loved the chef at Cape May. He along with the POP chef called several times before our trip to have stuff on hand for him, and to get some ideas on things he does and doesn't like to eat. Boma also was great. We are going back to both of those places when we go this summer. One suggestion for QS in the park, go at a less busy time so they have more time to work with you and it won't take as long.

[/url]

July 2013- Our 1st July 4th trip with a party of 12- CSR w/DDP
Aug 2011- Bahamas Celebration Cruise and Disney -POP w/DDP (My DS with 20+ allergies was treated like a Prince!)
Feb 2011- Epcot trip and DTD- offsite rental house
Aug 2009- DS first trip! -POP
Tons more trips before then offsite with my first trip at only 6 weeks old. My cousin that went as our babysitter is now a CM!
jlr9882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Wow jlr! That story made my Morning! Those chefs are amazing! I think it's so awesome when a cm goes the extra mile (or two!!!), especially for a child. That's why we keep coming back!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
fallen_angel727

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
What does he do at home? Does he just ask for things like cheese and sauce to be left off his food and not bother beyond or does he avoid all traces of dairy or does he do something in between? Does he drink lactose free milk and eat foods with milk cooked or baked in? At WDW, he should continue to do what he does at home. If he only leaves obvious dairy off his food then just ask your server to do the same because it really is a LOT easier not to mention faster. If he avoids all traces of dairy then treat is an allergy and speak with chefs. At Disney owned restaurants, he can even ask if he can get soy cheese on his food or soy or rice ice cream. He can get these without having to go through the hassle of dealing with a chef or manager.
If it were just the dairy issue he would eat the way he does at home. He does leave cheese off, drink non lactose milk etc. But he'll just have other things with milk in it and regret it later (as do I since there's only one bathroom ). Basically he just wants to avoid the whole bathroom issue that comes after the dairy products since it will be 4 of us sharing a room..the dietary request (though his own idea) is really for the comfort of our travelling party once we get back to the room at night

Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
a special shout out to Boma where they prepared similar dishes to reg ones (eg im allergic to pineapple which is iin the salad dressing so he made me a similar one using OJ). wdw is amazing for allergies and eating out there has ruined it for me anywhere
tracy
My husband has a dairy allergy and he is also allergic to any spices that are hor such as black pepper. He always does well at Disney at both TS and CS.
I have always wanted to try Boma but was concerned if he would have enough to eat with all of the exotic flavors. Did you talk to chefs when you got there about preparing certain things special for you?
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
jlr9882
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rznhal View Post
Wow jlr! That story made my Morning! Those chefs are amazing! I think it's so awesome when a cm goes the extra mile (or two!!!), especially for a child. That's why we keep coming back!

They were all amazing, and I can't wait for our trip this summer! We have our TS planned already, but we may change some stuff around before our 180 day mark in a month to be able to meet Chef TJ!

[/url]

July 2013- Our 1st July 4th trip with a party of 12- CSR w/DDP
Aug 2011- Bahamas Celebration Cruise and Disney -POP w/DDP (My DS with 20+ allergies was treated like a Prince!)
Feb 2011- Epcot trip and DTD- offsite rental house
Aug 2009- DS first trip! -POP
Tons more trips before then offsite with my first trip at only 6 weeks old. My cousin that went as our babysitter is now a CM!
jlr9882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: