Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
norwane
DreaminofDisney

Last ADR?

Hello!

We are going to Disney at the end of January! We have 4 out of our 5 ADR's. Thus far, we have Chef Mickey's for brunch, Hollywood and Vine for Fantasmic package, Garden Grill for dinner and Rainforest Cafe for dinner. I'm a little worried that I've heard such bad reviews about all of the restaurants, but half of the folks in my party are NOT adventurous eaters! They are both pretty much cheeseburgers and pizza.
So, we get in on Sunday, around noon - MK has EMH that night, so I was thinking that we could go into MK when we get there at some point in the late afternoon/evening. I do not have an ADR for Sunday. Should I make an ADR, not knowing when for sure we are going to get there? I would love to go to Be our Guest, but the odds of us getting a reservation are slim and none and slim just left town! Also, I'm not sure if everyone else would appreciate the menu.
So, what would be our best option? I think my son would like the Sci-Fi diner, but I don't want to pack too much into the day at HS, and not have enough time to do the things we want to do.

Any suggestions on what, when and where to schedule the last ADR? Should we just punt and try to get in when and where we feel like it?

My other question and concern would be is, what if my 9 year old son has hit the wall, and if we stay too long, and keep the ADR, we may be dealing with a meltdown. I know that some of the ADR's like the Fantasmic package hit you with a no-show fee. How do you weigh out a potential melt-down vs. keeping an ADR?!

Thanks for your help and advice!
norwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Normally I don't recommend an ADR on arrival day, but you are getting in at a reasonably early time. Even if a flight was delayed, you would probably still have checked in by mid afternoon. I don't see a problem with trying for a dinner ADR at, say, around 6 pm. This should be early enough for your son, and a good meal may give him the energy for an evening in the park. I agree that BOG is unlikely, but I'm sure you could find a suitable ADR at any of the other TS restaurants in MK.

Crystal Palace is a buffet, so would certainly have lots of choices for picky eaters. Liberty Tree Tavern has a family style dinner with turkey, roast pork, potatoes and veg, so pretty ordinary stuff for unadventurous eaters. And the plaza has basic sandwiches etc, for a somewhat lighter (?) meal. I can't in good concience recommend Tony's.

Crystal Palace requires a cc guarantee in case of no shows. The others don't. If you decide not to enter a park, you could choose to dine at one of the resorts instead. Kona Cafe at the Poly, Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF, and the Wave at the Contemporary are relaxed places with good food. And if you time it right, you could watch Wishes from their resorts respective viewing areas.

HTH.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We have 2 picky eaters in our family. Plain food seems to satisfy them.

We do well at Crystal Palace dinner & breakfast, most breakfast buffets satisfy them, liberty Tavern is a safe bet for us. They will eat Italian, so via Napoli & tutto Italian is good.

Surprisingly they love Cape May despite not liking seafood.

We are trying Trails End at Ft Wilderness. I think they will like it for dinner.

Le Cellier - they love but order plain steak & fries

Very picky.

We tried a few places over the years & they nixed them.

Here are some:
Kona
The wave
1900 park fare dinner
Chef Mickeys Dinner

They will not step foot in Garden Grill, Biergarten, any 2 TS like Narcoossee, California grill and such. Food is too fancy and complicated for them.

They use to like WCC but since the menu changed they are turning their nose up to it.

Good Luck, do not worry about reviews. Everyone has different tastes!

Have a magical vacation!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: