Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
jsantini
Disney Vet

Teppan Edo or Ohana?

Trying to decide between Teppan Edo and Ohana for my last ADR. We have eaten at Ohana before but not Teppan Edo. Any feedback from people who have eaten at both? I do have a gluten allergy, but it seems like both restaurants are equipped to deal with this.
Aug 2006 CSR
Dec 2007 CSR
Dec 2009 CSR
Dec 2012 WL
jsantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
starrysky
DIS Veteran

I would not go back to Ohana food and service not good, the meat all tasted like BBQ lighter fuel and the server was MIA for most of the meal. If we had been paying I would have refused.

We have been to Teppan Edo twice and both food and service excellent. Only thing that might put some people off would be that you can end up sitting with other people.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Tangelders Ahoy
Mouseketeer

OHana!!
Tangelders Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Both are good, if you've never been to Teppan give it try, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
bhodonne
Mouseketeer

Teppan Edo is great! Try it if you have had Ohana
bhodonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
wdwtwins
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

Whether or not you have free dining, the Ohana dinner was the best dinner I have ever had during my stay at Disney World! It has the most delicious sit down buffet EVER! The only reason it is better with free dining is because it's free! Hahaha

wdwtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
JillianSam
Earning My Ears

Both are awesome! But I say go for Something you haven't tried before, that way you'll know what you like better and won't be wondering for the next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky
I would not go back to Ohana food and service not good, the meat all tasted like BBQ lighter fuel and the server was MIA for most of the meal. If we had been paying I would have refused.
I think you should always take it as a lesson learned kind of situation. It's not your personal preference but refusing to pay for something would be very rude. And your server could have been dealing with another issue and did not mean to be MIA for most of your meal... Maybe there were dealing with another customer refusing to pay, which took time away from you dining experience.
JillianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Never tried Teppan but we will in less than 2 weeks! In Nov we had the worst meal ever at Ohana. That includes meals anyplace we have ever eaten! We had been to Ohana many times but this time was sooo bad. Everything from service to food. We were there from 8:30-10:10. OMG so bad. Our server even asked if we were ready for dessert before we even had any steak! Nightmare. BUT... like I said we have had many great meals there.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Ohana. Ohana is one of the most popular restaurants and hardest ADRs to get. Teppan Edo - not so much. Teppan is equivalent to any hibachi restaurant you would have in your hometown, and probably not as good. Your hometown one will probably be more authentic. I prefer to do unique restaurants at WDW, and you can usually find hibachi at home.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Teppan Edo!!!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianSam
Both are awesome! But I say go for Something you haven't tried before, that way you'll know what you like better and won't be wondering for the next time around.

I think you should always take it as a lesson learned kind of situation. It's not your personal preference but refusing to pay for something would be very rude. And your server could have been dealing with another issue and did not mean to be MIA for most of your meal... Maybe there were dealing with another customer refusing to pay, which took time away from you dining experience.
it is not unusual where I am from to refuse to pay for food if the service and quality are that bad it was in edible. I did request to see a manger but there was not one available.

I have taken it as a lesson learned and the lesson I have taken is not to go back.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'd agree with people who recommend you try Teppan Edo since you've already done 'Ohana. Its always nice to try something new and everybody has different preferences so you can't just rely on the opinions of others.

We've done both and will take Teppan Edo over 'Ohana any day. Its a nice experience and the food is tasty.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We have a Japanese Steakhouse at home we love and eat at a couple times a year. For that reason, Teppan Edo just never seems that "special" to us when we eat there at Disney. This time we're breaking out of our routine and trying Ohana for the first time.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

I much prefer Teppan Edo. The food is better and ther servers are fun. 'ohana was once a great place slipped in quality the last couple of years

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Just be aware that some of the chefs have an opinion on how you should eat your food.......

IMG_6120 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: