Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Look at the pictures you have recently taken... whichever camera you get more pictures you're happy with from, that's probably the one to take. Also consider which one you're most comfortable using.

Finally graduated. Woooo! To graduate school, and beyond!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I see you have an iPad - that would work as a good P&S if you want to carry that around the parks with you. .
NO! Do not bring an iPad into the park to use as a camera. Not only do those people look extremely stupid using an ipad to take simple photos, the actual camera in them is documented crap. usefull for FACETIME and nothing more.

In regards tonot knowing how to use you camera. search you tube for "fro knows photo" he has tons of short 5-15 minute video instructionals. 3 or 4 nights and you will be using your camera more and more.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
NO! Do not bring an iPad into the park to use as a camera. Not only do those people look extremely stupid using an ipad to take simple photos, the actual camera in them is documented crap. usefull for FACETIME and nothing more.

In regards tonot knowing how to use you camera. search you tube for "fro knows photo" he has tons of short 5-15 minute video instructionals. 3 or 4 nights and you will be using your camera more and more.
Haha, my architecture professors use iPads to take photos on field trips, and I agree that it looks pretty dumb doing so. But I disagree with the camera being bad. Honestly, I think the cameras that Apple has used since the iPhone 4s rival any P&S camera in the same price range. Its weakness is low-light photos, which is a weakness of almost all P&S cameras. But with good lighting, the iPhone/iPad cameras can take some pretty great pictures.
LittleMissMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
photo_chick

Quote:
Haha, my architecture professors use iPads to take photos on field trips, and I agree that it looks pretty dumb doing so. But I disagree with the camera being bad. Honestly, I think the cameras that Apple has used since the iPhone 4s rival any P&S camera in the same price range. Its weakness is low-light photos, which is a weakness of almost all P&S cameras. But with good lighting, the iPhone/iPad cameras can take some pretty great pictures.
The iPhone cameras are good. Better than a lot of point and shoots. The iPad cameras blow. THey're not the same.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
The iPhone cameras are good. Better than a lot of point and shoots. The iPad cameras blow. THey're not the same.
I just assumed they were the same. Perhaps they've upgraded the camera with the latest generation of iPad/iPad mini?

The pictures sure look good when people are holding up their iPads to take the photos... perhaps it's the screen.
LittleMissMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
rossb
Mouseketeer

You guys must be using some really bad P&S cams. The SX260 is much better than an iPhone camera. The iPhone camera is nearly useless when the light drops and it only works with one focal. Bright light shots are ok, but a $160 P&S like a Lumix ZS15 is better.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
klmall
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree with NOT using an iPAD for that purpose. Just the other day I saw someone using one to take Christmas pictures at a mall and I was sure that the next person bumping her would send that iPAD flying.

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

to me, again, knowing how bad the camera is. It just screams "look at me i have an ipad".

I see it all the time and every time i just laugh. the iphone camera is a great little P&S, but the one in the ipads is just a FACE TIME camera.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

It's weird because my wife's iPhone 4s takes great fireworks and F! shots, but my Galaxy Nexus takes way better Cars Land at night shots. iPhone is also very good during the day.
DW:
Cats:
----------
http://www.twitter.com/ptriz21 | http://www.instagram.com/ptriz21
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
to me, again, knowing how bad the camera is. It just screams "look at me i have an ipad".

I see it all the time and every time i just laugh. the iphone camera is a great little P&S, but the one in the ipads is just a FACE TIME camera.
But the issue is that most folks may not realize that the camera in an Ipad is not that great. So it's not a matter of trying to show everyone they have an Ipad, these folks may actually believe they have a viable tool to take acceptable pictures similar to their iphone.

Personally I would use my Ipad to take pictures...but...to each their own.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's incorrect. I believe it was true of the original iPad. But the current iPad has a facetime + a separate camera. The specs are 5 mp, 2.4 aperture, five element lens. It's a half decent camera built into the iPad, certainly far better than a facetime camera.
In fact, the lens and digital processing in the new iPad are the SAME as the iphone 4s.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3126_7-10011688.html
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
photo_chick

Quote:
I just assumed they were the same. Perhaps they've upgraded the camera with the latest generation of iPad/iPad mini?

The pictures sure look good when people are holding up their iPads to take the photos... perhaps it's the screen.
It's partially the size your viewing at. Much like taking a picture with a DSLR and thinking it looks awesome on the screen, then looking at your big desktop monitor and seeing it looks like crap. If you're only going to view the images on facebook and never make prints an iPad might serve you very well.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
But the current iPad has a facetime + a separate camera. The specs are 5 mp, 2.4 aperture, five element lens. http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3126_7-10011688.html
As most camera people will tell you. Mega Pixals are next to meaningless. It's more of a marketing play. Especially on a P&S. a 2.4 aperture is great, but it is worthless becuase I cant tell it when i want ti to be wide open vs closed.

I stand by what I said. the ipad camera is a face time camera. trying to use it for more is moronic.

yes, I can take an old vespa scooter on the freeway, but its not really sometihng a smart person would want to do.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #29
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As most camera people will tell you. Mega Pixals are next to meaningless. It's more of a marketing play. Especially on a P&S. a 2.4 aperture is great, but it is worthless becuase I cant tell it when i want ti to be wide open vs closed.
All that is true of the iphone camera as well. The newer ipad includes the same camera as included in the iphone 4s, with less megapixels. Other than the megapixels, the ipad camera is no different than the iphone 4s camera. Well, it's the same lens and optics as the iphone 4s camera. And it's the same sensor as used in the iphone 4 camera. So really, the iphone and ipad both have the same limitations and same strengths. The iphone 4s and 5, have the advantage of more mexapixels (which you claim is meaningless).

Last edited by havoc315; 11-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
the same limitations and same strengths. The iphone 4s and 5, have the advantage of more mexapixels (which you claim is meaningless).
The difference between a 4mp and say an 7mp camera in a phone or handheld device would be meaningless.

Now take a 4mp P&S and try an compare it against a 17mp DSLR, yes there are differences.

but in the same class of device dslr v dslr... iphone 4 vs ipad 2 or 3 a 1-3 mega pixal difference means nothing. It's the least important specification one should look at when comparing models.

Bottom line, a picture taken with an ipad and printed at 8x12 will be noticably inferior to a dedicated camera. you can onld get some much info out of a 1/4 inch lens with a 1/4 in fixed focal lenght.

And it looks dumb to take pictures in public with an ipad.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3