Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
dzy76
It all started with two little girls in Disneyland 1976

Hotels in Miami?

Re-cruising in Oct 2013 because one way or another I am gonna get to step foot on Castaway Cay! (dang you hurricane Sandy!) The Magic sails from Miami. What airport is closest to port, what hotel do people stay at prior to Miami cruises? We will fly in the day before from Oregon. What options are available for transportation to the port? Taking my husband for our 30th anniversary. Couldn't pass up the deep discount, although he is NOT a Disney nut like me.

Dzy76

dzy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
dclcruise2012
Earning My Ears

We are also on this cruise, I've got my mind on The Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables, important is that you stay in a safe part of Miami. Look for more info on hotels in the search function of the Diss.

Miami International Airport is closest to the port, taxi transport is reasonable priced.

Hope we will have a lovely cruise.

Greetings,

Ron & Marieke.
dclcruise2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

If you haven't already booked something by then, we'll be staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell before our January NCL cruise and I'll be able to review it when we come back. It's rated number 1 on tripadvisor so hopefully it's good :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...i_Florida.html

We live in Florida and will be driving down, so sorry I don't know about airport transportation from MIA, but I did read that you can purchase transfers to the port through the hotel. The hotel is 15 minutes from the airport, 15 minutes to the port, and it sounds like lots of shopping, restaurants, Mary Brickell village, Metro close by. Free breakfast and WiFi also.

FYI, our friends are flying into Ft. Lauderdale because they can get less expensive flights (and nonstop), and they are using SAS Transportation from FLL airport to the hotel @ $15pp. Then SAS will also take them from the port back to the FLL airport after the cruise, again @ $15pp. You might also check FLL flights to see if you would save any $$$.

Edited to add that I forgot to say Happy 30th Anniversary! It will be our 40th in 2015, and I'm thinking we should be back on Castaway Cay too!
Seahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
dzy76

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. Taking hubby to Vegas for his birthday at the end of January, will get him drunk, then break the news about the cruise!! He has no idea how much fun he will have!!

Dzy76

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I'm on that cruise as well! I'm not sure what hotel we are going to be staying at yet. I'm still researching them. Leaning towards Intercontinental but thinking some of those speacialty ones on South Beach look cool. We will be driving and will probably just park at the port (ouch $$$).
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
dzy76

I do not know the area at all. What area is closest to the port? How far away from the port is the airport? Maybe we should stay out by airport and then get a town car to the port?

Dzy76

Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
goeva
DIS Veteran

We're also cruising out from Port Miami. The nearest airports are MIA and FLL.
You can go to CruiseMiami.org to learn more information about Miami. Explore Miami > Maps > Neighborhoods. POM is about 2 miles from Downtown Miami area.
If you are flying to FLL, you can find more information about the area on Sunny.org.
Transportation options are taxicabs,rental cars, and car services. Most of the rental car companies offer courtesy shuttle from MIA to POM.

Here are some car services:
QLS Transportation
SAS Transportation
GO Airport Shuttle

And I found this Transportation Choice Poster. It gives you Taxicab, Car Service, and Tri-Rail System rates and map from FLL.

We're flying to FLL, so most likely we will use car services from FLL to POM and rent a car afterwards. We'd like to stay in Miami for a couple days after the cruise. Still looking for hotels. I'm thinking South Beach or Downtown Miami.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

We flew into FLL when we last cruised out of Miami. Back then, Southwest was still a discount airline and they don't fly into Miami. We stayed near FLL airport at the Holiday Inn Express. Hotels down there are so much higher than the Orlando area. whew! My parents sail out of FLL or MIA every Feb and just book something 4* & up through Hotwire for very reasonable rates. Personally, I wouldn't go any lower just in case you end up with something gross. 4* is usually Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott level of quality.
FWIW, I wouldn't recommend Priceline for anyone needing a room to sleep 3 or 4. PL only guarantees the room will sleep 2. For this reason I would only use Hotwire when booking for my own family.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2
We flew into FLL when we last cruised out of Miami. Back then, Southwest was still a discount airline and they don't fly into Miami. We stayed near FLL airport at the Holiday Inn Express. Hotels down there are so much higher than the Orlando area. whew! My parents sail out of FLL or MIA every Feb and just book something 4* & up through Hotwire for very reasonable rates. Personally, I wouldn't go any lower just in case you end up with something gross. 4* is usually Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott level of quality.
FWIW, I wouldn't recommend Priceline for anyone needing a room to sleep 3 or 4. PL only guarantees the room will sleep 2. For this reason I would only use Hotwire when booking for my own family.
Thanks! :
Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Driving down since we are in Florida already so it helps that I will have a car at my disposal. We have the Holiday Inn Coral Gables booked, which is right across US-1 from the University of Miami. This will give me a chance to visit my alma mater before heading out on the cruise! Of course, if the Biltmore comes out with some great special, I might just switch it all over!

Birthday Celebration on the Dream!
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

There's a very nice Country Inns & Suites near the Miami airport. They have a package that includes free transfer from the airport to the hotel, 1 nights stay. Then free breakfast the next morning and transfer from the hotel to the port. I haven't done it, so can't give you any first hand accounts. But I've heard/read good reviews of it. If we fly into MIA, that's what we'll be doing. Otherwise, we may have to fly into FLL and work something else out. It'll all depend on flight prices...

And I think we're on your cruise also.

7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy 10/2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Miami Hyatt house - airport after flying in from the west coast in January. They picked us up at the airport and took us back the next day. We used DCL transfers to the port. Very easy and convenient. Since we came in mid week, there was a reception / light snacks and beer and wine in the evening. Worked out great for us for dinner. The hot breakfast in the morning was very good too. Both were included in the room price. Doom was large and clean and comfortable what more can you ask for from a quick one night stay.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

We flew to Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car and drove to Miami, less than an hour. We stayed at La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East for 2 nights prior to cruise, prices are reasonable, plus it includes breakfast, transportation to and from Miami airport and transportation to Port, if you need transportation back to the Hotel or Miami Airport after the cruise they will pick you up for $10/pp. We returned the car to Miami airport the night before our cruise and took free Hotel shuttle back to the Hotel and the next morning took Hotel shuttle to the port it was very easy. You sign up for the port shuttle the day before and meet at your signed up time, so no lines, no fighting getting on the bus. The only downside is close to the airport so you can hear planes. Getting to rental place after the cruise is a different story. We got to the shuttle pick up right after the shuttle left, waited for half an hour for next one, that one was completely full, he just stopped to tell us that. Waited another 10-15 min for the next one, that was with Alamo, meanwhile we saw 3-4 buses for Dollar rental place, but Alamo has huge bus, Dollar small van so maybe that's why they are more frequent.
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
moremouse
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Hyatt Regency when we flew into MIA as well. I liked the fact that we could walk down to the Bayside Marketplace. There are lots of shops and restaurants. It was a nice pre-cruise evening. The walk might be too much for some, but it was so nice outside we couldn't resist.

We took advantage of a shuttle to the pier. We didn't have any problems.

Have fun!
moremouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: