Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #166
MEK
DIS Veteran

It's too bad you had to pass on EE and Dino because of your ankle, but there's always next trip - right?

I love the Christmas tree in the front of AK. I think its my favorite!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #167
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
It's too bad you had to pass on EE and Dino because of your ankle, but there's always next trip - right?

I love the Christmas tree in the front of AK. I think its my favorite!
Yes, I had to miss a lot of things because the ankle was so tender. I didn't ride the safari either because it was too bumpy or any of the boat rides you have to step up and down into like POTC or Splash. But yes, I just figured that I would do those things on another trip. No biggie. I didn't mind waiting for everyone.

The tree at AK has the coolest ornaments on it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #168
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

That was a great idea to have Pluto sign DD's hat!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #169
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
That was a great idea to have Pluto sign DD's hat!
One of the handlers gave us the idea and they even had a sharpie for us to use. DD was very happy about it. I liked that he made a paw print out of the "O" in Pluto.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #170
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Part 4

After a couple hours rest, we caught the bus to Magic Kingdom.

DD and her autographed Pluto hat

DH got some décor photos.

The lady in that photo is laughing because I totally busted her photo bombing someones photopass photo. It was really funny !!

We found a good spot and didn't go any further than here

My goal for this moment was to stay for Cinderellas Wish which was the ceremonial lighting of the castle that they do each night during Christmas. We waited for the sun to go down.

DS was being goofy and dancing.

The sun continues to set.

DH decorated my scooter with Christmas lights. He took a photo as I got my phone ready to post to Facebook.

The Fairy Godmother comes out and there's a little ceremony.

The characters discuss wanting to decorate the castle for Christmas. They all give suggestions and in the end Cinderella makes a wish and

The castle is lit. And it is stunning to watch it happen.

Last edited by jecskc; 12-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #171
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, photo bombing lady is too funny! That's hilarious that you caught her.

That castle lighting ceremony is one of the most beautiful things ever. It's just so special. AHHH love it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #172
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh my goodness, photo bombing lady is too funny! That's hilarious that you caught her.

That castle lighting ceremony is one of the most beautiful things ever. It's just so special. AHHH love it.
I so busted her !! I pointed to her and in a stage whisper I said, "I saw what you did !!" She was dying laughing and so was her husband. We all got a kick out of it and the people getting their photo taken had no clue.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #173
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

The photobomb thing is funny! I love that you said something, so funny! Those safari pictures were good. The hippos were so active!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #174
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
The photobomb thing is funny! I love that you said something, so funny! Those safari pictures were good. The hippos were so active!
She was hilarious trying to photo bomb them. We all shared the joke. I am so happy DH was able to capture the moment.

For realz !! My bestie got some great safari photos !! I am so glad she shared them !!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #175
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Too funny about the woman trying to photo bomb! She looks like she's having an awesome time!

Someday, I would love to see the Castle Lighting Ceremony! It looks gorgeous in pictures, I imagine it's stunning in person!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #176
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Too funny about the woman trying to photo bomb! She looks like she's having an awesome time!

Someday, I would love to see the Castle Lighting Ceremony! It looks gorgeous in pictures, I imagine it's stunning in person!
Yes. It was sooo funny !!

I have been wanting to see it for years as well. We didn't get to it last year so this year, I made it a priority. DD was hungry and just ready to go eat, so she was whiny and DH was all spazzing about us being late to our ADR. But I didn't care. I was determined to see it and see it I did !! It turned out on the way over to GF to eat, everyone said how awesome it was and that they were glad we waited for it .

When they actually light it, it sparkles a little at each section and then lights up so that is really cool. They don't just flip a switch. And it just takes about 20 minutes.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #177
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Yes. It was sooo funny !!

I have been wanting to see it for years as well. We didn't get to it last year so this year, I made it a priority. DD was hungry and just ready to go eat, so she was whiny and DH was all spazzing about us being late to our ADR. But I didn't care. I was determined to see it and see it I did !! It turned out on the way over to GF to eat, everyone said how awesome it was and that they were glad we waited for it .

When they actually light it, it sparkles a little at each section and then lights up so that is really cool. They don't just flip a switch. And it just takes about 20 minutes.
At the risk of being called a troublemaker, good for your for insisting on staying to see the castle lighting! We saw it lit from California Grill this year. Sadly, the track is not piped in for that, but it was beautiful to watch it being lit from there. Somehow I managed to mess us up seeing it lit live our night in MK. I wasn't paying attention to time that night, and we missed it. I think we were eating.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the safari pics. My dear friend here is making look good though. She picked the best ones in the lot to post. She's sweet like that!

I have a great story to share about our ride on Dinosaur when I have more time to post it. Until then.....
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #178
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

I love all of the holiday photos. I missed the castle lighting every time I went down in December so it's a priority next year.

I always decorate my scooter when I go in the fall or in december. Just puts me in a festive mood.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #179
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
At the risk of being called a troublemaker, good for your for insisting on staying to see the castle lighting! We saw it lit from California Grill this year. Sadly, the track is not piped in for that, but it was beautiful to watch it being lit from there. Somehow I managed to mess us up seeing it lit live our night in MK. I wasn't paying attention to time that night, and we missed it. I think we were eating.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the safari pics. My dear friend here is making look good though. She picked the best ones in the lot to post. She's sweet like that!

I have a great story to share about our ride on Dinosaur when I have more time to post it. Until then.....
They all ended up being glad we stayed because it was so beautiful to watch. Bummer you didn't get to see it. It is one of those truly magical moments.

The safari pics are awesome, girl. Thanks for sharing !!!

Can't wait to hear it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
I love all of the holiday photos. I missed the castle lighting every time I went down in December so it's a priority next year.

I always decorate my scooter when I go in the fall or in december. Just puts me in a festive mood.
We really love Disney during the holidays. They really do it up right. I highly recommend taking the time to see the castle lighting.

It was actually seeing your scooter in your TR that gave me the idea.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #180
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day 3  Part 5

We had a dinner ressie at the Grand Floridian Café on this night and it was for 6:30 PM. We still had to catch the monorail and get over there. So, yeah, we were gonna be late. DH was kinda freaking about it, but I wasnt really worried.

So we got there finally  it took 30 minutes, by the way  and DH checked us in while I got a bio-break.

DS hopped on my scooter the minute I got off of it.

We waited a few minutes and got some photos.

Minnie in the beautiful marble floor.

Then we were seated.

We had a waitress who was very curt and brusque in that kind of a New Yorker kind of way. And there isnt anything wrong with that, but she wasnt really warm and fuzzy. She was nice enough, I guess. We discussed that we were on the dining plan and ordered some drinks. Our waitress brusquely reminded us those werent on the dining plan. Um, yeah &.. we know.

Anyway, I ordered a Magical Star cocktail.

This was yummy and glow-y.

DH ordered a nice red wine

We were brought rolls.

I just love the ones they have with the currants in them. Last time we ate here, they were served warm and they were delicious. This time, they were cold and kinda hard and that took away from their deliciousness.

So for dinner DH, DS and I ordered the

Bone-in New York Strip Steak - house-mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables and bordelaise $29.99

This was just not good. It wasnt inedible, but for $30 ??? It should be amazing and it wasnt. There were potatoes underneath there and they were served as if they had been scooped out of a pan with an ice cream scoop. And they werent that great either. Some of them werent even cooked all of the way through. And the greens ?? Just some salad greens. Served under a warm steak and next to warm potatoes. I mean, who wants to eat that ?? I assumed they were a garnish and I pushed them aside. The steak itself was cooked OK, but the actual steak was a very poor quality for a New York Strip. It was thin and sorta fatty and I get that some marbling is good for a steak, but this just wasnt a good New York Strip.

Here is a photo of the one we had in September of 2011

Looks amazing, right ?? And it was. This one we had THIS time  not so much.

DD ordered

Shrimp and Orecchiette Pasta - Prosciutto, Peas, and Asiago Cream Sauce $18.99

I asked for it to be just sauce and pasta. It came out with everything in it. And since DD is the pickiest person on the planet, I sent it back. And we eventually got the right thing. This was just OK as will. DD ate some, but wasnt wowed by it.

For dessert, DS got just some vanilla ice cream

DD got worms and dirt

And DH and I got the

Dessert Sampler for Two - Fresh Berry Tart, Boston Creme Pie, Key Lime Tart, and Lemon Cheesecake $9.99

This was good and DD stole our solid chocolate Mickey for herself.

So when we were done it took forever to get our bill. I went to use the restroom and DH stayed behind to settle. He tried to use our Tales in Wonderland card for the drinks, but the waitress told him that he couldnt use it because we were on the dining plan.

So I wish I had stayed so I could have set that straight. So she KNEW we were on the dining plan, but managed to charge our credit card $187 for the meal IN ADDITION to charging us 4 meal credits.

Thankfully DH noticed the screw up and got it all straightened out. He was in there for a while and we were wondering what was going on. He was pretty peeved when he came back to meet us.

I just have to say I dont know what happened to this restaurant in a year, but we wont go back here again. Our meal last year was amazing and we really enjoyed it. This time we didnt. And I was happy we were on the dining plan. I couldnt imagine anyone paying $187 for this meal. It wasnt even worth $50. I mean the quality of this steak was bad and not even anywhere near worth $30.

It could have been worse. I guess.

So DH and the kids wanted to head up to Basin to get some candles for Christmas gifts and DD wanted some more bath bombs. So we took a couple of photos

I was getting tired and it was showing in my photos, I think. My ankle was hurting and I was just wanting to get back to the resort. So we got what we wanted at Basin.

Some candles

These candles are soy based chips, I think and each color has a different scent. The kids really enjoyed scooping up the little chips and putting them in the empty jars. One was for us.

And we got DD some bath bombs. You get this canister for $19.99 and you get as many bath bombs as you can fit in there. We can usually squeeze in seven of them.

After that, we hopped the monorail back to MK and caught the bus back to Saratoga Springs and went to bed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: