Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #121
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend
Ah, hoogies. I wasn't sure at first what he meant when my ex FIL said it, but fully understood what he meant when he motioned with his hands...he did a honking motion up near his chest.

I really still don't understand why he had a drawer full of women's undergarments.
This made me shoot Coke out my nose! It was the honking motion that got me LMAO
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #122
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

bumping for more stories.

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #123
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Based on this thread, when we saw the Chia Gnome this past weekend I had to buy it for my gnome-loving DH.

DD (she was 9) did receive a unique gift from my sister one year. She received hand sanitizer (travel sized from bath and body works) and a pre-read book. Apparently her DD was done with it. Oh yeah and an outfit that was way too small but she got it on sale at Justice. She gave me the gift receipt. We returned it and got a $7 credit for the entire outfit. DD smiled and thanked her aunt. My sister makes almost $200K combined with her DH. DD would have been happier with a $10 itunes gift card then stuff that seemed like it was re-gifted. It was almost like my sister ran into the local mall at the last minute and got confused. From now on, DD gives her a specific book that she would like and my sister can handle that and buys it for her.

Last edited by Eeyore'sthebest; 12-04-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Eeyore'sthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #124
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend
My ex-grandmother in law and ex-father in law were mighty interesting at giving gifts. Ex FIL took care of his Mom, and I assume she did a lot of shopping at garage sales.

Among some of the gifts that I/we (ex husband, daughter, myself) received were:

A clown mobile for my daughter's crib. First off, I am petrified of clowns. Secondly, it was a mobile that you would wind up, and the 5 clowns that were hanging from it would spin in a circle with some creepy clown music. One of the clowns was missing, so this limp string just dangled in the air. The music box was so old that after you cranked it, the music barely played - it was like a damn nightmare playing on the baby's crib.

A 74 piece tool set, in which 43 pieces were missing.

A piggy bank for my daughter. It was one of those large water bottles from a water cooler that was spray painted Pepto Bismol pink, and had a chocolate box gold bow tie on the top of it. My daughter's name was stuck on there in black and gold mailbox letters. A lone penny sat inside.

House slippers. Toe imprints/foot dirt totally visible inside of the shoes.

Photo album. Now, this was actually okay until I opened it up and realized that it was previously used by another family (never did figure out who those dang kids were) because there were about 10 random photos inside of it towards the back. They were those old photo albums with the plastic you had to peel back - inside was a coupon for 75 cents off of my photo order at Eckerd's that expired in 1981.

A dream catcher. This was obviously hanging up in someone's vehicle at some point, and they were a HEAVY smoker - the thing stunk to high heaven of cigarettes and was SO sticky with tar. That thing probably attracted nightmares and let them come through.

Sippy cups for my daughter. All chewed up on the spout and everything.

My ex FIL told me he wasn't able to buy me anything for Christmas because my "hoogies were too big", so all I needed to do was run into his bedroom, go through his bottom drawer, and take out whatever underwear item I might like to take home.

People wondered why I didn't like going over there.
I'm sorry, but you win for me! I have laughed so hard, I am crying & coughing. I can't stop. Thank you for making my day. BTW, I had never heard "hoogies" before, but you can bet I'm gonna find a way to use it!! I so needed this laugh today! Thank you!!!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #125
Domo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
Depends on what type of clothes hangers. I once bought my mom and sister-in-law some nice hangers where the hook part was painted and shaped like a swan's or flamingo's neck. They both really liked them. But a $2.99 10-pack of Walmart plastic hangers...yeah, that's bad.

Jim
Nono, this was worse. These were wire ones nicked from the local swimming pool.

I feel so loved

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #126
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

One year my father and stepmother were going on and on about a month before Christmas about how they got me this great gift and they want one themselves. When the day finally came that I got to open the coveted gift, I didn't even know what it was.

It was a glass thing that resembled an urn. Maybe it was a candy dish, but it seemed too big for that, couldn't have been a vase since it came with a lid. I suspect they got it for a housewarming gift since they had a party the month before. Since there was a tag on the box that said the store it came from, I returned it myself and got $12 credit.

If I had been bolder back then, I would have saved it and given it back to them the following year telling them how I looked everywhere and finally found the same exact one for them, since they liked it so much

That same year DH was given two flannel shirts in an extra large size (he's a medium). Might not have seemed so strange except they were exactly the same (color). He was complaining that he couldn't even wear them in the same week since it would look like he didn't change/wash his shirt

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #127
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

My step mother gave me some of her old clothes one year. I was 12 at the time and the woman outweighed me by about 150lbs.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #128
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I am loving all of these, ya'll. Tears are streaming down my face right now.

All I've got is my grandfather who, when I was 11, got me granny panties in a size 7. It wasn't his fault, though. He went to a local department store where the owner was a family friend and told a saleswoman how much he was spending, our ages and sexes; and they picked out something and wrapped it up for us. This usually worked out really well. Except for the granny panty year. In a size 7. All the women in the family got granny panties in a size 7. They were really, really nice granny panties, I have to admit. I think my mom still has hers in the original box.

The other was at a family gift grab thingy. I got a slightly used Yankee candle. It still smelled good in our bathroom.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #129
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
Not me, but my wife, and not the gift, but the box it came in.

The first gift she got from my mom, her future mother in law, came in a box my mom brought home from work "because it was a good sturdy box" My mom is an RN and worked in the Operating Room.
My wife unwraps it, and looks at the label on the box....it says " Mammory Implant, size 38 D". 30 years later, none of us can remember what the gift was in that box, and every year the person that got it the year before has to pass it on to someone else in the family with a Christmas gift in it.
I just found this thread and am reading through, laughing all the way, but this one topped them all! It reminded me of my sister-in-law's wedding gift from her inlaws. Her MIL was also an RN in the ER. It came in a " good sturdy box" too, marked in large letters. "RAPE KIT". Can you imagine?! Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #130
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintasare View Post
A vacuum cleaner from my parents.

I got it last year, worst present ever. Nothing say's "Merry Christmas, your housekeeping skills suck" like a vacuum.

My parent's do not give fun stuff for Christmas. It's always something you need, never anything you want.
While I hope our gifts to our kids don't imply any lack of housekeeping (or other) skills, we do usually give a gift "for the house." This year it's a battery charger/jump starter for the car. With two cars at their house, two at ours, and two at DGD's, the odds are pretty good that someone will need a jump start at one time or another this year.
So we'll all benefit. We all do get gifts we want as well as what we need.

Queen Colleen

Last edited by PigletsPal2; 12-10-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Edited to add: DH actually gives wonderful gifts, usually pieces to replace those stolen from our house twice!
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #131
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
A CD. It was the soundtrack to the Romeo & Juliet movie that Leonardo Dicaprio was in. My ex-husband (at the time he was just my boyfriend) gave it to me. It was the only gift he gave me...and to make matters worse, we opened up our gifts to each other in front of my entire extended family. Everyone watched while he opened his presents from me first. I bought him a brand new playstation, several games and some clothes. Then it was my turn to open the one sad little square/flat package. I can only hope he was 10000 times more mortified than I was...particularly since I had to spend the rest of Christmas defending him and his gift to my outraged family. He had money...owned a store that sold expensive ski/skate/surf/snowboard equipment and apparel along with high end mountain bikes. About a month later he proclaimed my REAL gift was a brand new mountain bike...from his store (it was a demo that the manufacturer had sent him for free). Add to that that I LOATHE mountain biking, which he knew.
....which explains why he's your EX-husband. [ ]
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #132
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
I just found this thread and am reading through, laughing all the way, but this one topped them all! It reminded me of my sister-in-law's wedding gift from her inlaws. Her MIL was also an RN in the ER. It came in a " good sturdy box" too, marked in large letters. "RAPE KIT". Can you imagine?! Lol
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #133
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim Chiminy View Post
Over the years, the favorite gifts for our son have been: the same small fireman nutcracker, three years in a row. A giant, 2 foot tall, Santa dressed as a cowboy. The video of that one is great, because our son was so excited to be opening such a big present! He thought it would be some fantastic toy. The santa actually scared him! And recently a book called "Kitty Cat Kama Sutra". I don't know why she thought he would enjoy a sex book for cats, but we certainly laugh about it.
....I'm DYING over this....

PS ~ didn't know that cats could read.....or perhaps, they just look at the pictures....
I've been BOO'ED!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: