Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #46
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Hey, hey, hey!! Mrs. Tex gives me rather lead-plated hints about things she'd like, and I'm grateful. (I do get ideas myself, but somehow they usually miss the mark -- widely. ) And she buys clothes for herself, that I wrap for her. Of course, she has NEVER worn a single article of clothing I've ever bought for her, to include a couple of things that she had virtually picked out herself, so I can't complain too much.

Worst gift? Without any hesitation, I'll nominate the package of four plain white cotton handkerchiefs that my uncle gave me one year. I was 8 years old at the time, and had never used a handkerchief in my life. I'm 61 now and I STILL haven't used one.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #47
Plannin'Shannon
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

A thick ankle-length bathrobe that zipped up to my chin, similar to these.

I was 18 at the time and living in south Florida. I can say with absolute certainty that I didn't wear it once.
There is a place where Magic lives.
Plannin'Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #48
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

Every year at Christmas (actually Chanukkah) my grandmother would give me the same thing...

A makeup bag (one that you get for free at the makeup counter when you buy something) filled with those mini perfume sameples that you also get for free, plus some barrettes...the kind of barrettes that are made out of plastic and come in flourescent colors.

Every. dang. year.

There was also usually a half-used sleeve of bobby pins.
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Goofyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #49
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

worst gift ever...back massager. DH bought it for me last year, and he was SO proud of himself. i'd never mentioned wanting or needing a back massager, and the stupid thing actually HURTS my back to use it. i wanted to take it back, but he was so happy to give it to me, i didn't have the heart to ask for the receipt.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #50
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, some of these have made me laugh out loud!! So funny thanks for sharing, and keep em coming!!

My grandma was really funny with her gifts. One year, she was thrilled because she sent away for a gift for my older sister, couldn't wait to give it to her. It was a fake 'Heart of the Ocean' like in Titanic. Same size, just super cheap looking. My sweet sister wore it all evening (in the comfort of my gma's apartment), my grandma was ecstatic.
She also would buy a tinkerbell gift set with shampoo, conditioner, and cologne. She would wrap each one and spread out the gift between me and my two sisters. "Thanks for the conditioner grandma!"
Now we look back at these gifts and it reminds us of her!
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #51
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
Ch Ch Ch Chia!!!!
Not being a democrat my girlfriend who is one gave me a Obama Chia Head! It was actually pretty funny!

Also, my husband gave me a back pack blower for the lawn....
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #52
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

My kids need bigger bikes, and DH just asked me about getting them for Christmas. I said no, I wanted them to pick out their own bikes (and since we're in the midwest, it can wait until spring). Because when I was 10, all I wanted was a purple 10-speed bike with the curved handlebars.

But what my parents bought was a blue 3-speed bike with straight handlebars and a fat triangle seat. It was an old-lady bike, and I HATED it, but my dad thought I "didn't need that many gears." It wasn't any cheaper, he just thought it was a better choice. I barely rode it, and I certainly couldn't ride it to school. So no bikes under our Christmas tree!
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #53
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Not a Christmas present exactly but my wedding present from my grandmother was a gift bag full of old or half-used lotions and body soaps. There was some old Avon perfume in there as well.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #54
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

One year my bil and sil (dh's brother and his wife) bought us a CD for Christmas decided to listen to it first, liked it, taped it and gave us the tape! they kept the CD for themselves!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #55
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

A box of organic wild rice. From my high-brow Frazier type BIL. It was a couples gift to the both of us. I was in good company...my SIL and BIL got one as well.

Nothing says Christmas like wild rice.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #56
superme80
DIS Veteran

One year my sister gave me a movie I had been wanting. Problem was she already owned it and just gave it to me opened. I told her next time just go to Blockbuster. I used to work there and they would have shrinked wrapped it for her. The movie ended up sucking so I got rid of it a few years later.

I told DH that if he ever got me a Chia pet the next thing he would see from me is divorce papaers. I hate those things.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 11 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #57
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Some of these are so funny! LOL on the chia pets - my kids actually asked for these one year. I felt so dopey buying them but they enjoyed growing them.

I feel bad naming my worst gift because DH & DD were so sure I'd love it. DH & I have a pretty small budget for each other and if I get a big gift, I have usually picked it out in advance.

Last year, DH was so excited because he thought of something he knew I'd just LOVE and was so excited to give me a "surprise" gift. DD11 also thought it was great and they teased me about this gift I'd never guess. To top it off, my mom got the idea from them and bought me the same thing.

So I was all excited about my surprise that'd I'd love and had been looking forward to it for a few weeks. Surprise all right - I opened not one but three boxes total of crock pot liners last year!

I'm not a great cook and while I use my crockpot, I'm not creating elaborate meals or have a huge list of recipes that I use it for. Luckily, that was not the only gift!

DH has mentioned he has another surprise gift in mind for me this year. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #58
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl
One year, early in our marriage, I needed to grate cheese for something and made the comment to DH that I wish I had a cheese grater. So, for Christmas I opened my gift from DH and there was a cheese grater. And not even the nice little hand crank one but the big silver pyramid type (with different slits for different grates on each side of the pyramid) that you run the block of cheese up and down. He is the king of terrible gifts...gets me things for the house...gift cards (like a $20 one to a nail salon...I don't even get my nails done). I started to tell him exactly what to get and then I realized that I could just go out and get that myself at any time. It makes me very sad that he cannot put any thought into a gift for me after we have been together for 19 years. And a surprise would be nice too (though I admit I try hard to discover what people are getting me). After a few years of telling him exactly what to get or us doing something for the house and calling it a gift for both of us, I just stopped messing with helping him and now I don't get any gifts at all (it's been about 3 years since I opened any gift from him). Nothing for our Anniversary, my birthday or Valentine's Day...I suggest we go out to eat and he follows along, but no gift from him. Nothing for Xmas either.
Well shoot. I was hoping hubbies get better with this over time. So I guess this means I am going to have to come to grips that I am doomed to receive random things or nothing.....glad mine isn't the only one, though!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #59
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

We stopped doing gifts & I am completely happy with that. I would rather NOT exchange gifts than spend the money. No gift is much better than a terrible gift.

Christmas is much nicer now when it is NOT about the gifts.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #60
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

My ex-MIL (deceased) gave me a pink Avon coffee mug(cancer ribbon) with four hershey's kisses in it. I am not making this up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: