Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajl
Leopard print pjs from my MIL. I got the top and my DH got the bottoms of the pjs.
That is funny!

One year my mom gave me a subscription to The Liguorian Magazine. It's a magazine for Catholics. This was when I was in college and I was questioning certain aspects of the Catholic Church. We got into a big argument at Thanksgiving and she told me I would end up in hell if I continued challenging the Church's teachings. I guess in the end she did think I was capable of redemption, since my only Christmas gift that year was the magazine subscription!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
The worst/oddest thing I got was a stuffed duckling in a dome that some guy at work gave me (seriously, he was trying to impress me - many, many moons ago). It looked similar to the one below, except it was a yellow duckling with no adornment whatsoever - just a dead duck in a dome.

Needless to say, I never took it home, and when I moved to another department, I left that little duckling there at my old office.
ok you win, that is horrifying!

My worst gift wasn't so much the gift as the presentation. When I was a kid my parents couldn't afford dental insurance so we'd go a couple of years between cleanings. I'm a fanatic about oral hygiene so I asked my grandparents if they would give me a dentist appt, I think I was 13. So at the extended family Christmas grandma announces during gift time that since I hadn't had my teeth cleaned in so long that her and pops were sending me to the dentist! Bless grandma, she meant well but I was so embarrassed .
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
cari12
DIS Veteran

When I was pregnant with DD and due in January, myMIL asked if I wanted a robe for Christmas to wear at the hospital. I said, no thanks. I don't use one and don't need one for the one night in the hospital. I can wear the hospital issued ones for one night. So much to my surprise, she gave me a robe for Christmas and then got offended when I asked to exchange it!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

One year, early in our marriage, I needed to grate cheese for something and made the comment to DH that I wish I had a cheese grater. So, for Christmas I opened my gift from DH and there was a cheese grater. And not even the nice little hand crank one but the big silver pyramid type (with different slits for different grates on each side of the pyramid) that you run the block of cheese up and down. He is the king of terrible gifts...gets me things for the house...gift cards (like a $20 one to a nail salon...I don't even get my nails done). I started to tell him exactly what to get and then I realized that I could just go out and get that myself at any time. It makes me very sad that he cannot put any thought into a gift for me after we have been together for 19 years. And a surprise would be nice too (though I admit I try hard to discover what people are getting me). After a few years of telling him exactly what to get or us doing something for the house and calling it a gift for both of us, I just stopped messing with helping him and now I don't get any gifts at all (it's been about 3 years since I opened any gift from him). Nothing for our Anniversary, my birthday or Valentine's Day...I suggest we go out to eat and he follows along, but no gift from him. Nothing for Xmas either.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 11-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Bubble wrap and hand soap from my now ex FIL
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Hmmm, worst present...that would have to be a hanging basket kit. It came with the basket, a bag-o-dirt, and some seeds. My DH was so proud of this gift. He's usually more on the ball that that. The picture on the box was very pretty and I think he just got swept away by it.

Now my KIDS have gotten some doozies! My husband's sister loves to shop. She will buy almost anything and give it as a gift. We have received a set of bamboo steamers(remember them?) and Ginzu knifes(have to say, they are pretty good!) She has not the first clue about buying for the kids. When DS was 15, she sent him a Batman belt and matching umbrella. When DD was 15, she sent her a Barbie wand.

But the hands-down worst gift we ever got was from my crazy ex-Sister-in-law. She sent my oldest child a plastic dinosaur she found at a thrift store. It had only 3 legs.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
maslex
DIS Veteran

Floor mats for my car, from my husband.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

A Bud Light t-shirt and a set of Bud Light glasses from my mom one year. I opened them and was like ummm thanks? She was going through a rough phase and was recently divorced. I chalked it up to that because she usually gives nice gifts. Even my friends were like WTH? I never did understand that one...LOL

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

A tiny battery operated alarm clock that the giver had received for opening a credit card. I know this because there was a paper in the box that said basically, "Here is your alarm clock gift for opening your credit card".

ETA: That was from my step-father's mother.

I thought of a few more though. In high school we did a secret Santa in one class and the kid got me a Twix bar from the vending machine in the hall. He was even late to class because he was buying it.

Last year my husband, bless his heart, got me a bottle of Grand Marnier because I had said something about him finishing off the bottle we had. (I knew what it was, he didn't even put it in a box to wrap it and I didn't want more.) And he bought me a two pound box of Whitman's chocolate because I like chocolate... He said he thought really hard about my gifts, too. This year I gave him a list. He is so bad with hints. Even really obvious things like, "Look at this thing, I would really like to have that".

Last edited by sissy_ib; 11-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

A friend of mine went to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. She bought me a poster from the Festival. I got it last year and it is still in the tube. One, it will cost a small fortune to frame it. Two, I have no idea where I would hang it.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
holycow
I Am the Rebel Spy

A Scale from my parents.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Not me, but my wife, and not the gift, but the box it came in.

The first gift she got from my mom, her future mother in law, came in a box my mom brought home from work "because it was a good sturdy box" My mom is an RN and worked in the Operating Room.
My wife unwraps it, and looks at the label on the box....it says " Mammory Implant, size 38 D". 30 years later, none of us can remember what the gift was in that box, and every year the person that got it the year before has to pass it on to someone else in the family with a Christmas gift in it.
OMG.......I literally just laughed out loud!!!! That is hysterical!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My mom ( and dad, although he never shopped) gave me a Strange Change machine. You put a block of plastic in it, the plastic got hot and it turned into a dinosaur. Then you could melt the dinosaur back into a block of plastic and on and on. I was 9 or 10 and the girliest girl you can imagine. All I can think is she mislabled a gift or forgot to get me one and substituted one of my brothers' gifts for me. It was the only time in 54 years that I really wanted to cry because a gift was so not me.

Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
A CD. It was the soundtrack to the Romeo & Juliet movie that Leonardo Dicaprio was in. My ex-husband (at the time he was just my boyfriend) gave it to me. It was the only gift he gave me...and to make matters worse, we opened up our gifts to each other in front of my entire extended family. Everyone watched while he opened his presents from me first. I bought him a brand new playstation, several games and some clothes. Then it was my turn to open the one sad little square/flat package. I can only hope he was 10000 times more mortified than I was...particularly since I had to spend the rest of Christmas defending him and his gift to my outraged family.
First Christmas with my fiance (now wife of 18 years) I loaded up on gifts for my sweetie, wrapped everything myself, even put a nice piece of jewelry in a box in a box in a box in a box to disguise the fact that it was something small. I did not at the time realize my father-in-law had never purchased anything for my mother-in-law without help, nor anything nice E-V-E-R. My (now) wife was still living at home while we were fixing up the little place we'd bought, intending to stay there until April when we were married. Her mom become so hateful, she moved out within a week.

edit: oh and for me, socks & underwear
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

A horrendous cheetah print sweater complete with a furry collar from my MIL. Bless her but I wonder how she could pick up that sweater and say "Yes..this is SO her." I have a sneaking suspicion that it was a re-gift. I later donated it and I have an irrational fear that one day my MIL will call me and tell me about someone who has the exact cheetah print sweater I have even though I live 3,000 miles away.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: