Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Christmas is Ruined!

Just kidding...now that I have your attention...

...what was the WORST gift you ever received?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

A jumbo box of sanitary products from some one on my job!! About 10 years ago. the best thing about that gift is that we still laugh about it to this day.

2nd runner up. A 6ft. gold lame Mickey mouse from some one who knew I like wdw. I still have nightmares about that thing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Many years ago when my now ex-husband and I were dating, we celebrated our first Christmas together. I waited to open his present to me until after opening all the others, excited for what it would be. Turns out it was a pair of "Grab-it" bowls. Didn't even come with lids! I will have to say that he's given me better presents than that after we were divorced.

In hindsight, even though it was an awful present at the time, it turned out being one of my favorites since we've gotten so many laughs out of it. How many presents can you honestly remember getting over 30 years after the fact? The laughs we ended up getting from that present more than made up for my initial disappointment. :D Not to mention the fact that I still have one of the bowls all these years later.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

A hat and glove set - black faux fur with white faux fur trim. I looked like I was wearing a skunk on my head.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Saw this and immediately thought of my MIL, may she rest in peace. Every year for the first 5 or 6 that my husband and I were married she would proclaim at some point in December "Christmas is ruined!"

It was usually something I did or didn't do but it still makes me laugh till this day.

I never let it get under my skin and my own Mom used to ask everyday till the proclamation what I had done to ruin Christmas.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

And the worst gift I ever got was from my FIL - a black lace nightie

What was he thinking????

I sure do miss my IL's and I mean it with all my heart. They made life interesting.
Grammyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
Just kidding...now that I have your attention...

...what was the WORST gift you ever received?
A truck crashed through the front of my house on Christmas Eve. That was in 2007, it did a LOT of damage, including ruining Christmas. Took out the tree, the living room, part of the kitchen, and the foundation. I could not find my cat and I thought he got killed, but he was just hiding in the basement a fireman found him!!! SO even though it was a bad night, no one got hurt and my kitty was ok! THAT was a Christmas miracle.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
bapcap
Mouseketeer

My husband is not the type to come up with a nice gift for me on his own, usually give him a few suggestions and I can count on getting whatever is on the list!!
One year he made the "fatal mistake" of asking my mother what to get me for Christmas and guess what I opened that happy morning...a bathroom scale!!!
I was so disappointed and he knew it!! He told me, "that's what your mom told me to buy you!" Needless to say he never had asked her for anymore suggestions for gifts.
Still hurts to think about it all these years later. Honestly, is it really that hard to think of something for me on your own??? I try to give drop hints about things I'd like for a few months before December...
bapcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Not me, but my wife, and not the gift, but the box it came in.

The first gift she got from my mom, her future mother in law, came in a box my mom brought home from work "because it was a good sturdy box" My mom is an RN and worked in the Operating Room.
My wife unwraps it, and looks at the label on the box....it says " Mammory Implant, size 38 D". 30 years later, none of us can remember what the gift was in that box, and every year the person that got it the year before has to pass it on to someone else in the family with a Christmas gift in it.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

In fifth grade my secret Santa classmate gave me a used eraser I am probably friends with them on Facebook now! I should post the story and tell them a nice gift now would ease their guilt. Lol

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

My mother used to love to buy my little sister and I the same thing but in different colors. So I usually ended up getting what my sister wanted. You just kind of got used to it.

I have to say that the absolute worst gift ever was from my MIL last year. It was pictures of DH and his siblings and one of her and his stepfather taken off her walls (still dusty) and a book about family loyalty complete with an inscription by her telling DH why it was disloyal of him to marry me and that family should mean more. I swear to God I have never done anything to this woman and cannot figure out why she dislikes me so much but after all of her stunts, the feeling is mutual.
worm761 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

The worst/oddest thing I got was a stuffed duckling in a dome that some guy at work gave me (seriously, he was trying to impress me - many, many moons ago). It looked similar to the one below, except it was a yellow duckling with no adornment whatsoever - just a dead duck in a dome.

Needless to say, I never took it home, and when I moved to another department, I left that little duckling there at my old office.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

A CD. It was the soundtrack to the Romeo & Juliet movie that Leonardo Dicaprio was in. My ex-husband (at the time he was just my boyfriend) gave it to me. It was the only gift he gave me...and to make matters worse, we opened up our gifts to each other in front of my entire extended family. Everyone watched while he opened his presents from me first. I bought him a brand new playstation, several games and some clothes. Then it was my turn to open the one sad little square/flat package. I can only hope he was 10000 times more mortified than I was...particularly since I had to spend the rest of Christmas defending him and his gift to my outraged family. He had money...owned a store that sold expensive ski/skate/surf/snowboard equipment and apparel along with high end mountain bikes. About a month later he proclaimed my REAL gift was a brand new mountain bike...from his store (it was a demo that the manufacturer had sent him for free). Add to that that I LOATHE mountain biking, which he knew.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Toss up between the year my father gave me a bottle of ketchup and the year he gave me a comic strip he'd ripped out of the newspaper. One of those same years, he gave my sister (aka His Princess) a car. And people wonder why I didn't take him in when he got sick.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
lisajl
This is our dog Chloe!
I am not sure I want drool all over the keyboard!
A very merry unbirthday to us all!!!

Leopard print pjs from my MIL. I got the top and my DH got the bottoms of the pjs.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Some of these stories are crazy. My in laws gave a cow costume one year because I mentioned once that I liked cows.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: