Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Relaxation on the Fantasy?

Due to a number of things, we are having to move our planned Alaska cruise and looking at a visit with the mouse in the fall. We have been on 4 cruises on the Magic and LOVE every minute of it. We enjoy doing things, but love the relaxed atmosphere of the ship. First thought is that we do not want to go on one of the new larger ships, but I don't want to do short cruises on the Magic, so back to the potential of the Fantasy. I know there are a number of threads about there is this to do, not enough of that to do, and everything in between, but for tose of you that have done both, is the Fantasy "comfortable" at all or does it provide the comfort of a large city with people running over you all day?

Hope this makes sense to someone out there! Thanks
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

I haven't been on the Fantasy yet, but I've been on the Magic and the Dream. Personally, when it comes to crowds, I couldn't tell one ship from the next. I always look forward to some quite reading/napping time on deck 4 and the experience was the same on both ships...no one around save the occasional jogger. The MDR's seemed a bit louder than usual, but that's about it. We don't travel with kids, so I can't speak about kids clubs, family pools, etc.
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We are frequent cruisers on the Magic. We've done one Fantasy cruise, and while the high tech aspects are amazing, we all agreed that the Magic was more comfortable and friendly.

In fairness, we were on an "odd" Fantasy cruise. We were told that there was an incredible number of the 5 and under set on board (I want to say they said over 1000, but not sure now). We were seated near a table where the parents allowed their children to SCREAM at the table, and then put them down to let them run around the dining room. It wasn't pretty.

In the adult areas, there is the usual kid and family traffic "passing thru." On 2 occasions, there were little kids in the Quiet Cove pool (removed by CM after being reported). There is no library bookshelf in the Cove Cafe--I actually asked one of the officers who was up there about this. He said that I should put it on the comment card because the wood for the shelf/case would have to come from the entertainment department's budget. He said "We can build it on the ship and we have the books, but we don't have authorization for the money for the shelf materials." WHAT? A billion dollar ship and they can't spring for $100 for a book case? Sorry, the absence of the book case mattered to me as I enjoy reading on the cruise. Satellite falls is nice. Remy is incredible. No real problem with seats in the pool area unless you wanted a lounger in the front row.

We liked the virtual porthole--cute touch. The ship is gorgeous.

However, the crowds....the "too many new CMs," ....the screaming kids.....my next booked cruise is on the Fantasy for the reasons you stated, but I'm likely to cancel it. The three after that are Magical.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've sailed on the Magic twice and the Wonder twice and recently sailed on the Fantasy. We were there just after the hurricane, so that would make me think twice about booking another fall cruise in the caribbean.

The Fantasy is huge -- as we walked from Point A to Point B, I kept asking myself, "Are we there yet?"

Our cruises on the Wonder were 15 days long, so there weren't very many kids, so we definitely noticed all the little kids running around on the Fantasy, chasing each other up and down the halls. I expected the ship to be crowded, but really didn't notice wall-to-wall people.

The Fantasy is the most gorgeous ship we've ever sailed on -- the decor is stunning. The Aquaduck is fun even for old fogeys like us, and the shows in Animator's Palate are light years (light and magic years) ahead of the AP on the classic ships.

Next cruise will be on the Wonder, because of the itinerary. The west coast is so much easier for us to get to. Meanwhile, DD and family live on the east coast, so next time we cruise with them, it will probably be on the Fantasy again. But not during hurricane season.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
llnolte
Mouseketeer

We have done the Magic, Dream, and Fantasy. While the Magic is much easier to navigate immediately and find your "spot", the Dream and Fantasy take a little more time. But we absolutely loved our Fantasy cruise last June. The ship is beautiful with many wonderful new areas and improvements that you can't find on the Magic. We did as much (or as little) as we wanted to do. We loved the adult pool and really did not see many problems with kids passing through. Yes, there were a lot of kids on our cruise but we didn't feel overrun. Deck 4 is wonderful to sit and read or take a nap. It was always quiet as long as you stay away from the shuffleboard area. The Rainforest room was also a wonderful way to spend a relaxing afternoon, especially at the end of a port day.
llnolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Our Fantasy cruise was very relaxing...and it was over 4th of July so prime time, so to speak.

We were a group of mostly adults and spent great amounts of time in the adult areas...we loved Sattelite Falls water area. We loved the nightclub area calle La Piazza.

The ship is awesome and everyone we encoutered was very friendly. I would not let some negative reviews keep from experiencing it at least once.

The ship is breathtakingly beautiful and everyone should experience at least once. If you find she is too much ship for your comfort level then don't book her again but we absolutely loved it.

The Magic will always hold a special place in my heart (we were on here Maiden Voyage and spent many cruises aboard her) but we really enjoyed the Fantasy.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
hudson3709
"It started with a mouse"

We have been on the wonder and the Fantasy. We found that Satellite Falls was our go to relaxation spot. We didn't spend any time at the adult pool, but hours a day up in the satellite falls, or surrounding areas. Plenty of good quiet relaxing time.
hudson3709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Fantasy > Dream. How "relaxing" things are depend on you!

IMHO some of the freaking out has calmed some, so I'm more seeing them as just differing amenities (weird pool sizes and adult area access aside). I notice a huge improving in service from the Dream's MV.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
scootch
DIS Veteran

I have sailed the Wonder and the Dream(at Easter) and Fantasy. I did not notice any crowd increase. We went on the Eastern Fantasy 11/3 with three sea days and I convinced myself beforehand by things on the board that we would have little to no pool time unless it was going to be nuts.... but found the opposite... the pools were fine, we easily found great chairs with view of pools and movie on deck 12 each day and ended up staying up there all day! So much that after I got home, I sort of thought, darn, I was going to do this or that on sea day... but I was so enjoying being poolside. I even had a rainforest pass which I gave away as I was so relaxed and enjoying deck 12.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've cruised on all 4 Disney Ships (8 cruises & 3 scheduled), and the one thing we found is that we were always able to relax , regardless of the ship we were sailing. Two things we always do on the Dream or the Fantasy, that add to our mellow cruise; is dining at Remy, & purchasing the length of cruise Rain Forrest pass.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

Fantasy does have a big adults only section. The one on deck 12, kids will walk thru. No choice really as the elevators come out right there. But deck 13 adult is super nice and quiet adult only! You may want to check out the Rainforest room at the Spa. For $16 all day pass you can enjoy the special showers, sauna's, hot tubs and tiled heated loungers. I used it one day, wow it was nice! You have use of the changing rooms also. Lots of relaxing! There is also a ton of area's that guests dont really go to, some of the bar area's that open at night. So you can chill out there.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Good to hear some of these versions of reality. I don't have anything against the new ships, it is just for a while it seemed that there were as many or more nagatives about them and we are there to relax. We are of the set that like the extra sea day to do nothing or everything we can find. I still think that the shorter cruises, whatever ship, are going to see more issues with the problems, just from my observations, whether true or not. The longer cruise folks seem to have a little more laid back attitude toward things, again, whether perceived or actual, does not really matter. Thanks for the input, we may just have to try the Fantasy until they bring the Magic back home.....
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: