Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
lgajohnson
Earning My Ears

Fighting off jet lag

We are traveling to Barcelona for the Med cruise this summer. We are traveling from Boston to Frankfurt (leaving at 4:30pm) and then on to Barcelona. We have the same connection on the way home leaving Barcelona at 12:30pm. I will be traveling with 2 children who will be 12 and 7.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions, meds/non-meds that will help us get through the jet lag?

Thanks!
lgajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnson View Post
We are traveling to Barcelona for the Med cruise this summer. We are traveling from Boston to Frankfurt (leaving at 4:30pm) and then on to Barcelona. We have the same connection on the way home leaving Barcelona at 12:30pm. I will be traveling with 2 children who will be 12 and 7.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions, meds/non-meds that will help us get through the jet lag?

Thanks!
eat something small every 2-3 hours after your usual time to go to sleep. The goal is to make it to the new bedtime before going to bed. Drink a lot of fluids. Having to run to the bathroom frequently keeps you awake and hydrated. If possible, sleep a good 8 hours the first night. If that works, try the snacking thing again a second day. If you wake up in the middle of the night because that is your normal time back home, don't get frustrated. After the initial rush, things will switch over to the new time.

Total: 18 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 103 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 5, FANTASY - 2
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
NC_Tink
Mouseketeer

Keep hydrated -- very important! Try not to nap the first day -- stay busy and go to sleep at your normal hour. We found we were able to push through the first day on very little sleep. We did, however, have a rough night falling asleep our second night in Barcelona, but the jet lag wasn't horrible. Coming home we felt it much more - but that was okay because we were home and had a couple of days to relax before having to get back to our regular routines.

2013 (Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean), 2011 (off-site); 2010 (Magic - Mediterranean), 2009 (Magic - Western Caribbean), 2008 (CBR), 2007 (Poly, Wonder - 4 day & AKL), 2005 (AKL), 2005 RCCL, 2004 (off-site) & (Poly & AKL), 2002 (off-site), 2001 (off-site), 1997 RCCL, 1993 (off-site), MK - several times prior to 1980
NC_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Eat very well for the first couple of days--lots of fresh fruits, salad, and lean proteins and minimal sweets and rich foods. Stop caffeine the day before your flight and don't have any while flying.

Keep gently active after you land--lots of leisurely walking--and drink lots of water. Stay outdoors as much as possible to help your body adjust to the local light/dark cycle.

On the day you arrive do your best to stay up to as close to your normal bedtime as possible. Hopefully by then you'll be good and tired and will sleep like a log until morning. Open your hotel drapes around your normal waking time so your body can use the natural light as a cue. Have a nice breakfast the next morning (eggs and fresh fruit work well for me) with a great cup of coffee.

If I follow that, I usually feel pretty good that next morning after the caffeine hits. Hope you have a fantastic trip!
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I find this most interesting as we will be flying direct NYC to Honolulu next month essentially across 6 time zones just like Europe. I have no prior experience with jet lag but I can tell you I don't even like switching to Daylight Savings Time, which I am feeling today!

Is it worse / harder to adjust heading west or east?

Going we have an 11 hour flight landing at 3pm HI time (9pm body clock time)

On the return it is a 9hr flight 3pm departure, 7am next day arrival (approx midnight previous day body clock) ... and it will be back to work and school the following morning
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

If you can go the day before your cruise...do it. The first day you may be too tired to have fun. Try to sleep on the plane on the way there. It's hard to do in coach though. Once you get to Barcelona walk around, get some sun. Stay up until the usual time you would go to bed at home.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Is it worse / harder to adjust heading west or east?
Personally, I find adjusting going west SO much better than going east.

If I'm not careful, I can be a zombie for days going east--an awful, always-tired, walking through a wall of Jello kind of feeling. The most that ever happens to me coming back west is that I wake up an hour or two early, bright-eyed and bushy tailed!
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq

Personally, I find adjusting going west SO much better than going east.

If I'm not careful, I can be a zombie for days going east--an awful, always-tired, walking through a wall of Jello kind of feeling. The most that ever happens to me coming back west is that I wake up an hour or two early, bright-eyed and bushy tailed!
That's what I'm afraid of. Coming back (west) I'm basically "losing" 6 hrs that I would have been sleeping.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961

That's what I'm afraid of. Coming back (west) I'm basically "losing" 6 hrs that I would have been sleeping.
I've done it a few times and I've learned to give myself a couple of days back home to adjust before trying to go to work. When you fly to Europe you do it at night and its a little easier to sleep. Coming back you usually leave in the day and arrive in the day making it very hard to sleep. The last time I went with the layover it was a 20 hour journey home and I didn't sleep at all. When I got home it was about 5 pm so I didn't want to crawl right into bed and be wide awake at 3 am so I stayed up until about 8 or 9. I felt like a zombie for a couple of days.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Jet Lag Does NOT Like SUNLIGHT.

When you get to BCN, drop your bags off at the hotel and go outside and stay up as late as possible. You're dog tired that first day/night but it really helps you to adjust to local time easier. I also try to rest / sleep on the flight.

Here is a page out of Rick Steves book - literally ...
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
lgajohnson
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the tips...great ideas!

Any other tips especially for children?
lgajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
]
I feel your pain! But for a trip to Hawaii it is worth it! We went in 04 and the trip back was brutal, basically we were up all night, we got to Dallas as the sun was rising and to us it was 2AM, then we had to get to FL. We are going again in Sept and our trip home will be 18 hours. (Free airfare so we have to go according to the airline schedule ) We will get home at the equivalent of 6AM on our body time so we are coming home a day early to get caught up before work on Monday.

I look forward to reading all these tips as anything that will help is well worth it.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Another tip is to do you best to avoid thoughts like "it would be such and such time at home".
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

87 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
2003Eeyore
Earning My Ears

bump
2003Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
Lori1960
Mouseketeer

jet leg

eatting carrots 4 days before you fly and no soda or caffine the day you fly and after you land take something with vitamin b12 and don't take a nap walk out in the sunshine
Lori1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: