DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #46
mnra
DIS Veteran

I understand some increase but the percentage seems out of whack. I forgot that the value of things in florida especially real estate have risen. As for trusting the management. It is a business so the more Clair show profit the better she looks. When you get into allocations and things do you really believe that this is done at an arms length. They can have different companies and different management but in reality aren;t they real one company under the Walt Disney Company umbrella. I like what I own it just seems like the increase is out of line this year.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #47
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
We either trust the management company to do a fair job of balancing costs and services or we get out.
So true. Last year my MF increased by an average of 4.81% which was higher than I was expecting. This year my MF increased by an average of 2.78%, less than what I was expecting. Overall, I've very happy with this years increase.
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #48
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting the new MF.

I will now need to figure the budget and payments. I had not thought about the MF yet, too busy planning for the holidays and my next trip to DL!
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
floribr1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnra View Post
I understand some increase but the percentage seems out of whack. I forgot that the value of things in florida especially real estate have risen. As for trusting the management. It is a business so the more Clair show profit the better she looks. When you get into allocations and things do you really believe that this is done at an arms length. They can have different companies and different management but in reality aren;t they real one company under the Walt Disney Company umbrella. I like what I own it just seems like the increase is out of line this year.
Each DVC resort is legally a separate "condominium." Each condominium is audited by independent, external auditors who will audit the allocation of expenses from the Walt Disney Company, and make sure that the rationale is sound. Can staff make mistakes that aren't caught by the auditors? Sure. Does fraud sometimes happen? Yes, upon occasion it does.

As someone who worked as an external auditor for 10 years, I will tell you that it is always a good thing to maintain your skepticism and to ask questions. Mistakes (and fraud) tend to happen when people get too complacent. However, we must always be careful to reserve judgment until we have all of the information.
floribr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #50
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by floribr1 View Post
Each DVC resort is legally a separate "condominium." Each condominium is audited by independent, external auditors who will audit the allocation of expenses from the Walt Disney Company, and make sure that the rationale is sound. Can staff make mistakes that aren't caught by the auditors? Sure. Does fraud sometimes happen? Yes, upon occasion it does.

As someone who worked as an external auditor for 10 years, I will tell you that it is always a good thing to maintain your skepticism and to ask questions. Mistakes (and fraud) tend to happen when people get too complacent. However, we must always be careful to reserve judgment until we have all of the information.
Since the President of DVD/DVC and a couple of other upper managers were fired last year when the Aulani due numbers were called into question, it makes one wonder if other resorts developed by the same team also may have had dues issues.

Bill

Last edited by disneynutz; 12-01-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #51
lauriegs
proud AKV and BCV owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I bought $800 worth of Disney gift cards from Target and paid $722 for them. It looks like I'll have to get one more $50 card (for $47.50) which will make my total out-of-pocket cost about $790. I love Target! I'm saving about 9% on my MF's
how did you get the gift cards cheaper there, may I ask? thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #52
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriegs View Post
The Target RedCard (both the credit and the debit card) give you a 5% discount on all your purchases. The Disney gift cards are considered "entertainment cards" so they qualify for the discount. They recently sent out a coupon for 5% off your total, in addition to the regular 5%, so I used that to buy by $800 in gift cards.

Here's how it worked out...
...$800 - 5% coupon = $760
...$760 - 5% RedCard discount = $722

There's several threads about it on the budget board.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #53
Rob S.
DIS Veteran

I just got my budget for Aulani and the subsidized dues are $4.6990, NOT the $4.7716 that is listed on the first post.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #54
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
I just got my budget for Aulani and the subsidized dues are $4.6990, NOT the $4.7716 that is listed on the first post.
Does that amount include the property taxes? Sometimes, those are listed separately in the budget letters.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #55
GoofItUp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriegs

Just an FYI for those living in Texas...HEB is running a deal on gift cards thru this tues or wed where you can buy $300 for $250 with the in-store coupon. I bought enough to pay my annual dues yielding a 17% savings!

Off Site - 06/87, Off Site - 06/93, ASM - 11/01, Dolphin - 11/03, CBR - 01/06, POR - 09/07 FIRST TRIP WITH DS-10 mo!, Off-Site - 06/08 (DH's conference, so DS and I hit the parks!), BCV - 03/09 DS#2 was sick, so DH & DS#1 went alone! , DL Fairfield - 10/09 First Trip to DL & DS#2's first trip to a Disney Park!, 06/10 - BWV (Our first trip as OWNERS!), 06/11 - AKV-Kidani, 03/12-BWV, 06/12 - Not sure where yet!
GoofItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #56
Rob S.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Does that amount include the property taxes? Sometimes, those are listed separately in the budget letters.
Property taxes are included. Here is the breakout:
(excuse the formatting)

Operating Budget 5.6761
Capital Reserves 0.7807
Property Tax 0.4710
Build-out Subsidy (0.6749)
Developer Credit (1.5539)
Total 4.6990

In 2012 the developer credit was 1.4813. If the credit was the same in 2013, then then dues would have been 4.7716. But... the developer credit increase along with the dues. The dues for the subsidized contracts will go up the same percentage as the non-subsidized contracts.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #57
MickeyMagic
DIS Veteran

Aulani MF

I'm not understanding why the percentage of increase is different for Aulani pre vs post July27, 2011. Shouldn't they both increase by the same percentage?
MickeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #58
hidingmickey
wuteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice
I'm a little surprised at the 4.4% increase for AKV. I usually budget for a 3% increase so that caught me off guard. OTOH, only 1.4% for HHI was a nice surprise. It looks like my MF's will be about $870 this year. I bought $800 worth of Disney gift cards from Target and paid $722 for them. It looks like I'll have to get one more $50 card (for $47.50) which will make my total out-of-pocket cost about $790. I love Target! I'm saving about 9% on my MF's.

I have $40 deposited every two weeks into my online savings account which I use to pay our MF's every year. We bought our HHI contract direct last January and financed it. Since I budgeted about $1050 for MF's and I am only paying about $800, I can take the extra $250 in the account and make an extra payment on the loan,
Can you fill me in on paying your fees via gc? My son's school sells gcs and we get a percentage back so I like to buy them through his school. Thanks!!

Ok I saw a post that you just have to call in to do it right? What if we spread them out over the year, it just takes off the cost at the end of the year, does anyone know?

Haven't gotten any letters yet but since this is our first Jan with DVC, how can I figure out what our bill will be for 2013? Is it online yet or how do I calculate it...not sure how to figure this out.

Last edited by hidingmickey; 12-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.
hidingmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #59
hidingmickey
wuteva

yeh these numbers aren't working for me! I was under the impression that my dues were still for the whole year, but I see on the contract page it is prorated for 310 days...grr. Driving me nuts haha
hidingmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #60
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidingmickey

Can you fill me in on paying your fees via gc? My son's school sells gcs and we get a percentage back so I like to buy them through his school. Thanks!!

Ok I saw a post that you just have to call in to do it right? What if we spread them out over the year, it just takes off the cost at the end of the year, does anyone know?

Haven't gotten any letters yet but since this is our first Jan with DVC, how can I figure out what our bill will be for 2013? Is it online yet or how do I calculate it...not sure how to figure this out.
You can't pay with a GC monthly. You have to pay the whole thing upfront in January.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: