Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

What's it like to have a White Christmas

I live in the South where it is a big deal if we get ANY snow, and to think of having a White Christmas ifs laughable. There was another thread about someone who forgot to drain the gas from the snowblower last year, so I know that it is not all like the movies where everything is calm and peaceful, but I wonder what it is like to experience a White Christmas every year. Does it get old? Just once I would like to experince it without having to leave my home.

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014

Last edited by luvgoing2disney; 12-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

For the most part its overrated but....

One Christmas, while in my mid-20's, it was Christmas Eve afternoon and it had been snowing all day. I had just arrived at my mother's house to celebrate along with a bunch of other family members. I looked at my father and whispered, "Let's go sledding" and we grabbed and old sled and took off in his Jeep towards the sledding hill. We were the only ones there, the snow was untouched and he drove way past the parking lot through the park, and up to the hill. We only did a couple of runs, but I remember laughing the whole time. We raced back to the house. My mom was ticked off, but it was totally worth it. It may be my best Christmas memory with my father.

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
MdmMim

Loves rainy days!!

For us, it never gets old. We love the snow, and it's disappointing to not have it, especially at Christmas.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

I love it when it snows on Christmas eve and Christmas Day. After that, I'm ready for 80 degrees! But since I live in Maine, that's not going to happen! I don't mind snow in December and January but I get really sick of it after that.

But yes, having a white Christmas is lovely!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

I would GLADLY trade places with you (even though when I did live in the south for a few years I got very excited when we got 20 minutes of snow at midnight on New Year's Eve - the only snow I ever saw down there).

It is cold, wet, heavy to shovel (therefore hard on the back), hard to drive in, and it can get very hard to park on neighborhood streets if it snows right at Christmas time and the city hasn't had time to plow yet. A couple years ago we were trying to get to my aunt's house for Christmas dinner and the closest we could get was two blocks away. Had to hike in the rest of the way, carrying all the food and gifts.

We just got our first "significant" snowfall of the year (about 5-6 inches here) and while it's beautiful, it's very easy to forget how beautiful it is when you're stuck shoveling it. But I'm thankful because by now we should have a couple feet on the ground! (I'm not really a fan of the snow.... can ya tell? )

A couple photos from yesterday:

6995_10151143495390800_1283992337_n by jch70592, on Flickr

6339_10151143420865800_20722425_n by jch70592, on Flickr
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Even in the north white Christmases aren't guaranteed. We have some, we also have some where you can get by with a heavy sweatshirt and no jacket. Last winter I shoveled my driveway a grand total of 2 times and one of those wasn't really needed. Other years I shovel almost every day in January and most of February.

For me it doesn't get old. I like snow, I hope we get more of it this year than the last few. I get a little tired of winter around the end of February but I've been in the Cleveland area for 32 of my 34 years and love it. I hope I never have to leave, winter and all.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

It is beautiful. I could never live somewhere they didn't have at least a possibility of snow at Christmas.

SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
dyna
DIS Veteran

Living most of my life in Barely In Nearly KY we very rarely had snow for Christmas. Most of the time when it snowed on Christmas it SNOWED meaning everyone got snowed in a few days. That was not fun either.

I do not miss snow now that I'm 45 mins from disney, if I never see another flake it will be to soon.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Those pictures are beautiful. We have ZERO chance of snow ever here.

The first time I saw it actually snow with snow coming down from the skies, I was 18 and in England. The first time I had snow in my hand, I was 7 and we went up to the mountains for a day. We got out of the car. My sister and I had no idea snow was COLD, so we jumped back in the car and that was that.

I would FREAK. I have no idea how to drive in the snow so I would be very afraid to do anything. And I don't have any warm clothes!

Maybe now that I know snow is cold and that I can pay someone to drive in it for me...maybe we should plan a trip next year.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on the person. When we moved to Florida people thought we were crazy, but a White Christmas (or a white all the bleepin time) got really old to us. We moved from Western NY, so it'll be interesting to see how Christmas feels this year.

Personally, I'm totally in love with all the Christmas decorations on Palm Trees. And Christmas shopping in an outdoor mall and not freezing when I walk out of the stores!!

There is something beautiful about snow, but that feeling only lasts until you need to leave the house
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
asta
DIS Veteran

A counter viewpoint here. We live in Nashville and I can remember a couple of years with Christmas snow. It may have been pretty but I did not like it because it made travel difficult. Snow plows are non existent around here so we generally just have to wait for salt brine and sun to make our roads safe. Christmas is all about Christmas Eve services and visiting with family and the snow just made it hard to do either.
asta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

I love having a white Christmas, somehow it just doesn't feel right having a green Christmas. I am nearly 60, and can only recall two green Christmases.

On the other hand, white Christmases can be downright dangerous, or expensive, or both. Somehow all that white stuff has to be shifted from your walkway and drive so that you and your family can go about your daily life. Either it gets shovelled out (perfectly fine if you are young, in shape, used to cardio workouts), or ploughed out using a show blower or a service. If you are out of shape, there can be a real danger of hurting your back or incurring a heart attack.

In my city a good snowblower costs about $1200. A service costs close to $300 a year for an average driveway.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Snow is wonderful if we don't have to move it or go out in it. It is highly over-rated IMO.

One Christmas when my kids were still in diapers, we planned a Christmas Day trip from VT to NC. We did our tree and planned to leave that evening. There was a storm coming, so we decided to leave at Noon, hoping to get to PA to spend the night before things got too bad.

We made a huge mistake.

By the time we got to MA, we were pushing snow with the bumper of our minivan on the interstate. The only way we knew we were still on the road was by the sound of our tires hitting the rumble strips. After 3 hours we found an off ramp we thought we could get off on, turned around, and drove home pushing snow all the way.

Both girls peed through their pull-ups, and both of them vomited. But there was no place to stop and I didn't dare take myself or them out of their seat belts, so they had to just sit in it.

It was horrific! I have never been so scared in my entire life. When we finally got to our driveway, there was a snowbank over 3 feet high blocking the way.

We have never traveled at Christmas time since, and never will again.

So couldn’t we all come to the conclusion that it’s not the PLACE that counts, it’s the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

It can be pretty but it can also be a pain. Having to get out there on Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve and shovel stinks. Driving can be difficult because even though we get our share of snow people don't seem to know how to drive in it.

Don't get me wrong, I like a freshly fallen snow. It is beautiful and I love the scent of snow in the air but I wish it would melt away after a couple of hours.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Since I basically live in a place that is populated by people who are escaping snowbound, miserable places to live, an informal poll here regarding snow generally sounds like, "Ugh, don't talk to me about snow," or "NEVER AGAIN." or somesuch.

I've very little experience with snow (grew up on the west coast, now live in a desert), but my impressions are that while it's pretty when it's fresh (nasty and absolutely disgusting thereafter), it's really just a pain to live with/travel through/endure.

And the thought of being housebound except for work all winter is just depressing. I can see where all of these lame crafts come from... unrelenting boredom probably warps peoples minds.

Personally, I'm glad I can wear shorts every day of the year. Four seasons? PFFF, two seasons are better.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: