Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #766
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS

We stayed in a corner room on the fifth floor in early August. One morning a Florida palmetto bugs ... huge thing ... came strolling across the carpet and literally walked toward Lily. She screamed and the thing kept coming. I caught it in a cup and put it out on the balcony. I don't like to kill bugs. Snakes and bugs are found in rooms on all floors in all resorts, Disney or not Disney. Being on an upper floor is not going to mean you have less chance of bugs or snakes!!!!
Out of curiosity, what are the chances that someone from the resort will come and remove the offending critter?? I can pull off trapping a bug (if it doesn't move too fast!), but I see a snake and all bets are off!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #767
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicgirl177 View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the chances that someone from the resort will come and remove the offending critter?? I can pull off trapping a bug (if it doesn't move too fast!), but I see a snake and all bets are off!!!
We have snake "catchers". Just call the front desk or walk down to tell the front desk and someone will come. Unfortunately the "pest control CMs" are not at each resort so they drive on over when they get the call and will then take care of the "problem". I've probably stayed at WDW resorts 75 times or more (not days, trips) and only twice did we ever see large bugs .. once last summer at the BC and I can't blame that poor thing ... it was very hot outside and our room was nice and cool and the other time was at the Grand Floridian and it was a small snake in the hallway on the second or third floor.

I've had more snake spottings in Pennsylvania when we lived there than I have in Florida.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #768
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We have snake "catchers". Just call the front desk or walk down to tell the front desk and someone will come. Unfortunately the "pest control CMs" are not at each resort so they drive on over when they get the call and will then take care of the "problem". I've probably stayed at WDW resorts 75 times or more (not days, trips) and only twice did we ever see large bugs .. once last summer at the BC and I can't blame that poor thing ... it was very hot outside and our room was nice and cool and the other time was at the Grand Floridian and it was a small snake in the hallway on the second or third floor.

I've had more snake spottings in Pennsylvania when we lived there than I have in Florida.
As a long-time NYer, I think the palmetto bug freaks us out because to us they are cockroaches. And in NY, rule of thumb is for every one you see brave the light there are a thousand crawling behind the walls. It's taken me a while to come off that ledge when visiting the great state of Florida......

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #769
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
I don't like to kill bugs.
If I recall correctly, there may be a love bug or two who may have some rebuttal to this statement
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #770
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Pixarmom - I'm sure Teena will remember this. When we were first assigned the first floor deluxe room I was freaked out! Dh and I both have snake phobias! The cms were so nice and promised to make the "animal control" aka snake catchers check our room twice a day. I always checked myself before I sat down, especially early in the morning and never even saw a bug! We ended up loving that room. We also had two great waterview 1st floor at YC overlooking the marina (near the secret door).

Don't be afraid of the first floor and the patios - they are fantastic!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #771
jemh628
Mouseketeer

Ok now I am beyond freaked out about bugs and snakes. I will just keep telling myself the chances are slim over and over.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #772
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Okay quick question....will my family of 5 automatically be given a day bed or do I need to request??? If I don't get one I read on a travel website that they were charged $15 per night for a rollaway.... True or False???
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #773
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
If I recall correctly, there may be a love bug or two who may have some rebuttal to this statement
OK, you are totally right. I don't kill most bugs. I love to kill lovebugs. Give me a big fat noodle and let me at them!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #774
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Okay quick question....will my family of 5 automatically be given a day bed or do I need to request??? If I don't get one I read on a travel website that they were charged $15 per night for a rollaway.... True or False???
You will be given a room with a daybed in it. Request not needed. However, if all the daybed rooms are gone, you will have a rollaway sent to your room. And no we do not charge $15 per night for a rollaway!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #775
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicgirl177 View Post
As a long-time NYer, I think the palmetto bug freaks us out because to us they are cockroaches. And in NY, rule of thumb is for every one you see brave the light there are a thousand crawling behind the walls. It's taken me a while to come off that ledge when visiting the great state of Florida......
I'm with you on this one! I could handle snakes much better than anything that looks like a cockroach. As a city dweller, one cockroach = a thousand!

Quote:
OK, you are totally right. I don't kill most bugs. I love to kill lovebugs. Give me a big fat noodle and let me at them!!!!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #776
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:

You will be given a room with a daybed in it. Request not needed. However, if all the daybed rooms are gone, you will have a rollaway sent to your room. And no we do not charge $15 per night for a rollaway!!!!
Thanks Teena! This didn't seem right but it was a recent post on I think Orbitz by someone who stayed in early December. My current request that I have to double check is 1st floor by the lobby....not sure if I'm missing anything. We have a garden view and excited for the 10 days of rest with the year we've had.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #777
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is good to know, we are a family of five too. Although I did foolishly request it on my reservation anyway!! Thanks for the info Teena!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #778
Pastina Noodle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I don't like to kill bugs!!

I just want everyone to know that after hours (and HOURS!!!!) of therapy I'm doing a lot better. Let's just say that Teena, love bugs and pool noodles do NOT make a good combination!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #779
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastina Noodle View Post

I just want everyone to know that after hours (and HOURS!!!!) of therapy I'm doing a lot better. Let's just say that Teena, love bugs and pool noodles do NOT make a good combination!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #780
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Thanks Teena! This didn't seem right but it was a recent post on I think Orbitz by someone who stayed in early December. My current request that I have to double check is 1st floor by the lobby....not sure if I'm missing anything. We have a garden view and excited for the 10 days of rest with the year we've had.
We're talking BC and YC, not BCV. The Villas have different sets of rules and regs. If someone at the BC or YC ever tries to charge you for a daybed, make sure you come down to the lobby and talk to a manager in person (or me if I'm there). Bad information can be given via telephone. Deal with it in person!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: