Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2926
logpey
Disney or bust!

Thanks everyone so much for ALL your info on early check-in pro's & con's!!!!

Are y'all watching the Grammy's?????
2004 May/WL
2007 July S/D
2010 July/Aug/POLY CL
2011 July/POLY CL
2012 Mar/Aulani
2012 Sept/POR 2013 Feb/BCR CL 2013 OCT POR 2014 July/DCL
http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/logpey/ https://picasaweb.google.com/1069180...eat=directlink
Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43064690#post43064690
Dawn's Blog:http://dawnsdorkydiary.wordpress.com Disney podcast- http://mousequestpodcast.com/subscribe/
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #2927
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
I've always want to try Garden Grille & noe BOG. Have you been to either, what do you think of them if you have?
Garden Grill is our arrival night tradition and our boys' favorite character meal in all of WDW. We've also been to CRT, Akershus, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine, Cape May and Ohana. The only ones we've not been to are Garden Grove at the Swan and 1900 Park Fare. No question Garden Grill is the best. (No offense to Cape May, but we like character dinners better than breakfasts - just a personal preference!) Our most recent GG meal was on January 26, and we had a great time as usual. It's the most relaxed character meal on property. I love that they serve everything family style, so you don't need to juggle plates or be concerned that you'll miss characters and have to ask them to return. The food is usually pretty good for a character meal. Funny thing is that the best part of the meal is always different - sometimes the salad is great, sometimes the steak is great, sometimes the fish is great, etc. But the rolls and mashed potatoes are always very good. If you go, I highly recommend requesting a booth on the lower level. (For breakfast, Ohana, Cape May and Tusker are our favorites.)

Be Our Guest was a ton of fun and quite good for a non-Epcot park meal. We were there for dinner on January 28. The theming is incredible and it's nice to have a glass of wine with dinner in MK! We sat in the West Wing (with three boys, we were probably the only family in the restaurant who really wanted the West Wing and not the ballroom!) The service was outstanding and the pace of the meal was very nice. My husband reports the steak was fine, and our oldest son loved the shrimp/scallop entree. Our two younger boys ordered kids' meals and had no complaints! I ordered the pork chop and enjoyed it (although it was huge and I didn't come close to finishing it!) Not the same quality as Bluezoo, Le Cellier, etc. but really good for a meal in MK. And again, I can't say enough about the theming and service.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #2928
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe

The Guidebook pretty much sad the Sci Fi was cool inside, but food just so so.

We did 50s prime time 2 trips ago, it didn't wow me, but it wasn't bad either.

I ate some of salad & most of the filet. Next time DH & I will need to split the salad.

I've always want to try Garden Grille & noe BOG. Have you been to either, what do you think of them if you have?
We LOVE Sci-Fi and Garden Grille is also our favorite character meal. The food at Garden Grill is very good. Better than any character buffet.

We also like the food at Sci-Fi particularly the shrimp pasta dish and DS loves the bacon burger and the shakes!!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #2929
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Ok after shoveling from 11:30-5:45 today to get 2 cars out of the parking spots in front of our home. I am seriously rethinking our vacation. Can I leave right now!

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #2930
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Does very YC CL room have a full balcony?
I am trying to figure out what I want my room requests to be, wondering if that one is even an issue.

I like vacations.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #2931
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPantherfan View Post
We have eaten at Garden Grille and loved it. It is a less hectic character interaction and we saw the characters a lot during dinner. Food was good and plentiful. It seemed really fresh. My kids loved it. We did it the first night and then hopped the monorail to MK. For us, our vacation doesn't seem to really start until we get to MK.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear you liked the Garden Grille. What was your fav thing in the family style meal? Did you get to see a lot of the Land? I think this is on my imaginary list for the next trip along with BOG.

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #2932
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
Garden Grille is our last night at Disney tradition. My kids love it there! It's much quieter than a typical character meal. They love that the restaurant spins around. And I think the food is tasty and a bit healthier than the typical Disney food.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2933
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Garden Grill is our arrival night tradition and our boys' favorite character meal in all of WDW. We've also been to CRT, Akershus, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine, Cape May and Ohana. The only ones we've not been to are Garden Grove at the Swan and 1900 Park Fare. No question Garden Grill is the best. (No offense to Cape May, but we like character dinners better than breakfasts - just a personal preference!) Our most recent GG meal was on January 26, and we had a great time as usual. It's the most relaxed character meal on property. I love that they serve everything family style, so you don't need to juggle plates or be concerned that you'll miss characters and have to ask them to return. The food is usually pretty good for a character meal. Funny thing is that the best part of the meal is always different - sometimes the salad is great, sometimes the steak is great, sometimes the fish is great, etc. But the rolls and mashed potatoes are always very good. If you go, I highly recommend requesting a booth on the lower level. (For breakfast, Ohana, Cape May and Tusker are our favorites.)

Be Our Guest was a ton of fun and quite good for a non-Epcot park meal. We were there for dinner on January 28. The theming is incredible and it's nice to have a glass of wine with dinner in MK! We sat in the West Wing (with three boys, we were probably the only family in the restaurant who really wanted the West Wing and not the ballroom!) The service was outstanding and the pace of the meal was very nice. My husband reports the steak was fine, and our oldest son loved the shrimp/scallop entree. Our two younger boys ordered kids' meals and had no complaints! I ordered the pork chop and enjoyed it (although it was huge and I didn't come close to finishing it!) Not the same quality as Bluezoo, Le Cellier, etc. but really good for a meal in MK. And again, I can't say enough about the theming and service.
Thanks for the great GG &BOG reviews! Did you get to see a lot of The Land?

For character meals we've done Akershus & Crystal Palace for breakfast, & Hollywood & Vine for lunch (really didn't like, long story short- sent DH to put our name in at 50s Prime Time so I could get fast passes & he went to Hollywood & Vine in error, we don't have kids & I had no idea who the Disney jr characters were, lol! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
We LOVE Sci-Fi and Garden Grille is also our favorite character meal. The food at Garden Grill is very good. Better than any character buffet.

We also like the food at Sci-Fi particularly the shrimp pasta dish and DS loves the bacon burger and the shakes!!!
I'm learning that Dis-ers have a lot of better info than the guides, so I may just take up your advice on Sci Fi & try it . So far the only TS we've really liked at HS was Brown Derby.

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #2934
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Garden Grille is our last night at Disney tradition. My kids love it there! It's much quieter than a typical character meal. They love that the restaurant spins around. And I think the food is tasty and a bit healthier than the typical Disney food.

Amanda
I love reading about the disney traditions! How long does the meal actually last?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #2935
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Obviously tastes are very different. I've eaten twice at Sci-Fi and would never go back - really thought the food was horrible. But I love 50's Prime Time ... especially the fried chicken. We're not a fan of the Garden Grill either. We do love the Brown Derby!! For us, the only two places to eat at the Studios is 50's and Brown Derby.

It's best just to try the different places yourself and make your own list of likes and dislikes. That's how we've gotten our "favorites list".

Thank goodness everybody doesn't like the same restaurants/food ... it sure would be hard, well probably virtually impossible, to get into those places if we all had the same taste!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #2936
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
Thank goodness everybody doesn't like the same restaurants/food ... it sure would be hard, well probably virtually impossible, to get into those places if we all had the same taste!
So true!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #2937
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Your Favorite Things to Do While at BC/YC?

Your Favorite Things to Do While at BC/YC?

I love sitting on the balcony reading, people watching & looking out on Crescent Lake. I also really love swimming in SAB, especially the lazy river! We love dinners at Yachtmans & Cape May, & ice cream at Beaches & Cream. Epcots out favorite park & we love how close it is. I'm really missing the BC/YC, the last 2 years we went feb/march, & I'm "home sick!".

Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #2938
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We haven't been to Garden Grille! Since my daughters are both adults, we've only done 1 character meal, 1900 in GF. We had dinner, and the step sisters are hilarious. We really enjoyed it.

We were just at Be Our Guest last week (have we been back a week already?)
For lunch. We really enjoyed it, except for the 30 min wait!! I had the Niçoise Salad, and daughter had the grilled Ham & Cheese which was also good. The service was fast once we were seated. At lunch it's CS, you order at the kiosk, then sit and your meal is delivered to your table. We sat in the room with the snow falling in the windows. The Rose room was also very cool.

My fav thing to do at Bc/YC is also floating around the lazy river on my pool noodle, and the hot tub. B&C and walking around the boardwalk.
But beware of thar staircase to nowhere in the lazy river 10' section
One night I was going into lazy river, and started down the stairs, and all of a sudden, that last step is a doozy I wasn't expecting that dunk lol!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #2939
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

We have a water view at the BC club level booked in May. Are there full balconies at that level? It is our first time at the BC, have stayed YC before and BWI. My husband enjoys the balcony. Really looking forward to trying this resort.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #2940
rea59
Mouseketeer

Transportation from Contemporary to Yacht Club

Can anyone tell me if it's easy to get from the Contemporary to the Yacht Club. After a day in MK we would like to go to the Wave restaurant in the Contemporary. Does anyone know what type of transportation we'll have to take to get back to the Yacht Club?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: