Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #91
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I'm not a coaster rider. My kids conned me into going on Expedition Everest. Never again!!!
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #92
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy B View Post
NY NY coaster in Las Vegas was rough.

Hercules at Dorney- pretty bad as well
Gone now- but the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure was rough
Great American Scream Machine gets my vote! It made my ears bleed and gave me the worst headache.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #93
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

I live just past Six Flags New England. I will never again ride the Mind Eraser or Flashback (although half my problem with Flashback was the lap bar-checker. Even though the lap bar was locked down and I couldn't move under it, she mashed it down even further, right into my abdomen - I was in pain before the ride even started).

And sad to say that my ride on Space Mountain 2 weeks ago was my last. I had one abdominal surgery in 2000, one in May 2012, and one (minor) in September 2012. It was a very painful ride, with the lap bar slamming into my gut every couple of seconds.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #94
fly girl
DIS Veteran

My least favorites by far...

MANTIS, Cedar Point. That thing is sooo uncomfortable, esp. for a short person. The shoulder harness bumps against your head making it a downright painful ride.

MEAN STREAK, Cedar Point. I'm with the majority here. It is terrible when it suddendly brakes around the sharp corners. A headache in the making for sure.

I was never a fan of SON OF BEAST, but I felt it wasn't as harsh as Mantis or Mean Streak.

I really love THE BEAST! That is my favorite wooden coaster hands down!!

However, that being said best roller coaster, MILLENIUM FORCE!! Oh, that ride is awesome. So smooth and fast, love love love it!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #95
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Not sure why this thread got bumped? Anyways, in case you're wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzwizz View Post
Worst = Lamest? That's a tie between Six Flags Great Adventure's Skull Mountain or Cedar Point's Disaster Transport.
Disaster Transport is no longer. It was torn down to make way for Gatekeeper, their newest coaster.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #96
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
Disaster Transport is no longer. It was torn down to make way for Gatekeeper, their newest coaster.

Does anyone remember Avalanche Run? It was Disaster Transport BEFORE they put it in the dark. As if that ride wasn't lame enough in the dark, it was even worse in broad daylight.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #97
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly girl View Post
Does anyone remember Avalanche Run? It was Disaster Transport BEFORE they put it in the dark. As if that ride wasn't lame enough in the dark, it was even worse in broad daylight.
Yep, I remember the year it opened. We waited like 2 hours to get on the ride and kept sitting there waiting for it to do something. I swear, the thing never cracked 20 MPH.

Enclosing it and making it into Disaster Transport was actually a decent move. It still was lame, but at least being in the dark added a little something to it. Plus, having an indoor ride in mid July was a nice option.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #98
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep, I remember the year it opened. We waited like 2 hours to get on the ride and kept sitting there waiting for it to do something. I swear, the thing never cracked 20 MPH.

Enclosing it and making it into Disaster Transport was actually a decent move. It still was lame, but at least being in the dark added a little something to it. Plus, having an indoor ride in mid July was a nice option.

Yes, that thing was slow for a roller coaster!

You know, my family would always ride Disaster Transport but we'd do it first so it wouldn't seem so weak. I agree, making it dark was a smart move to save an expensive flop of a coaster.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #99
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

The worst for me is The Grizzly at Kings Dominion, VA. It would be a really fun ride if not for the break your neck roughness. I actually am not a fan of ANY wooden roller coasters.

Also will put Manta at Seaworld on my list. Very cool ride, I'm glad I atleast tried it, but I have never been so disoriented in my life.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #100
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirateslifeforme
And sad to say that my ride on Space Mountain 2 weeks ago was my last. I had one abdominal surgery in 2000, one in May 2012, and one (minor) in September 2012. It was a very painful ride, with the lap bar slamming into my gut every couple of seconds.
The first time we visited WDW after living in California for a few years I wass sho ked at how rough Florida's version of Space Mountain is! The two versions of the same ride a completely different. If it were my choice, I'd skip it altogether at WDW.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #101
laurajetter
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy thinks my Chocolate Lab Hershey is a cutie!
WHAT IS THE STUPID DEAL WITH THESE BANANAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Busch Gardens Williamsburg had built a coaster called Drachenfire at one time. I LOVE coasters, but that was one that I thought might genuinely injure me. I rode it alone, so nobody to compare notes with. I thought maybe it was just me. Next time we were there, it was gone. Evidently, it wasn't just me!

Most recently...Hersheypark built a new coaster called Sky Rush. It has the potential to be the BEST coaster ever. However, there was something seriously wrong with the restraint system. I thought my thighs would snap, no lie. The bar came down in the center of my thigh. The minimal restraint is cool because the airtime is amazing. You can only hold on to your lap bar, and there lies part of the problem. The placement of the bar along with the fact that it TIGHTENED through the course of the ride (due to holding on to it) meant that every time I got air, I would be forced UP while being VERY tightly gripped DOWN mid-thigh. I was seriously afraid my legs would break (trust me, I'm not a whiner about coasters either!) By the end of the ride, my legs were vice gripped. I really hope they fix the restraints on that one because the coaster itself is incredible.
I have very few coasters I will ride because I oddly HATE that feeling in the pit of your stomach you get on long, steep drops and will only try coasters whose initial drop is not super high or too steep. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot that fit the bill! Drachen Fire was actually great in that department, it didn't really have much of an initial drop. For that reason, along with the fact that it twisted and turned so much I honestly didn't know which way was up most of the time (kind of liked that), Drachen Fire was one of my favorite coasters. HOWEVER, I did not like just how much my head uncontrollably slammed from side to side in the head restraint, so I definitely understand where all the Drachen Fire haters are coming from! I guess I loved it since there are so few I go on that since the drop wasn't bad I was happy to be able to experience the rest of the loops, twists, and high speed. I still have a nice pewter medallion key chain of it!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #102
KrazyKollector
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Mean Streak at Cedar Point

Seems like everyone's worst coasters has a theme -- wooden coasters are so much rougher than steel.
ITA!! I was actually in tears after this one, and I have always loved coasters. Even loved The Beast at KI.
KrazyKollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #103
jgh
Peter Pan!

My worst are both from Six Flags Over Georgia:

- Georgia Cyclone
- Ninja

I don't visit Six Flags anymore, but I remember these being horrible. Georgia Cyclone was a wooden roller coaster and I thought I was going to DIE on that thing... the Ninja is steel, but it tossed me around like a ragdoll...I remember just constantly hitting my head over and over on the bars that come down over your body...had a major headache after that.

I pretty much don't ride roller coasters anymore, unless it's Disney. I'll do a few Universal ones as well...such as the Mummy, but I don't go crazy and do insane loopy roller coasters anymore...it's not worth the headache, plus my fiance hates them.

Last edited by jgh; 04-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #104
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
I had bruises on the inside of my arms from my wrists to my armpits from this stupid ride. Hello, steel rollercoasters should be smooth!!

The worst, however, was that Knott's Berry Farm monstrosity... I think it's "Ghost Rider" or something like that. I literally felt like I had been mugged once I got off the ride. Like, someone had punched me in the stomach dozens of times.

I hate wooden coasters. :-p

I was going to say this one as well. I LOVE coasters of all types, and this was the first one I rode that I just felt unsafe while riding. It was the opposite of thrilling and fun.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #105
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I can't say there's one that I tried that I didn't like. Favorite - California Screamin' at DCA.

One ride I hated - Aero 360 at Kennywood (Pittsburgh).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: